Supporting learning disabled teen into employment

Hi there. Does anyone have experience of supporting a mildly learning disabled teenager from school into employment? I'm at a loss as to how my daughter will fare when she leaves education and there doesn't seem to be much support out there.

She would theoretically be perfectly capable of doing basic shopwork, for example - shelf-filling, cleaning, serving customers etc (although not money-handling). But I really don't think she'd be able to get a job like that unless it was part of some sort of supported employment arrangement.

I read that there is a "Workstep" team in Sheffield City Council that helps to support such arrangements, but it is subject to a DEA assessment... Does anyone have any experience of that?

Looking forward to hearing your advice...

Hi,

Did you manage to see this page at all?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/caresupport/adult/support-available/employment-learning/getajob.html

for lots of support agencies. They can help with benefits info and other issues (housing in the future??) too.

Bridge are great for support in all sortes of ways, focusing on employment but looking at all the areas around work too, and for career advice, Sheffield Futures are good.

Good luck, and if you have time, post an update let us know on here how it's going.

:)

Thanks very much for sending that link, Lillean :-). That's really helpful.

Unfortunately a lot of these organisations seem to have lost their funding, so Bridge no longer helps learning disabled people unless they can pay for the help themselves. And voluntary organisations are definitely not interested in taking on learning disabled volunteers - believe me, we've tried! But we'll definitely give Connexions a go and maybe Sheffield Futures too.

My daughter's still in full-time education at the moment, but I'm trying to think ahead so that we're as prepared as possible.

Sainsburys used to be a really supportive employer of people with learning disabilities. If your daughter is know to social services ask their transitions worker for help. Helping people with learning disabilities into employment used to be a key target for the council. Mainly because if people are at work they don't / won't need access to "services"