Road Changes on Brook Hill/Western Bank Will Increase Congestion?

I'm glad it's not just me completely ****** off with this absurd road works scheme! Whether driving or taking the bus it's a Complete and utter nightmare! Whoever thought this one up needs stringing up - from the last tree in Sheffield after the council has had its wicked way.

Although we need to wait until the works are finished, and everyone has got used to the changes, to see how it works, my concern is the effect of the new right turn for buses from Western Bank into Clarkson Street. The changes to the traffic light sequences must reduce the time available for green lights for those exiting Clarkson Street, and for those going straight up the hill towards Broomhill. In both cases, this could cause traffic to back up even more than it did before, and so impact on other junctions, ie the Glossop Rd/Clarkson Street junction and the exit from the university roundabout respectively.

Although we need to wait until the works are finished, and everyone has got used to the changes, to see how it works, my concern is the effect of the new right turn for buses from Western Bank into Clarkson Street. The changes to the traffic light sequences must reduce the time available for green lights for those exiting Clarkson Street, and for those going straight up the hill towards Broomhill. In both cases, this could cause traffic to back up even more than it did before, and so impact on other junctions, ie the Glossop Rd/Clarkson Street junction and the exit from the university roundabout respectively.

That Clarkson street turn is causing some discussion and comment as the bus effectively has to cross the main flow to get from the stop to the new bus lane. Its also made the route more hazardous for cyclists.

I prefer the new 95 route though as it gets across the roundabout down to Mappin street more easily. The only problem is Mappin street is so rough at the moment you're in danger of losing your false teeth (or in my case grinning and bearing it with a broken rib)

This is stage 1 of a 3 stage plan so even when the works are complete in October its just a start. It looks like the closure of Tower Court to vehicles and the Brook Hill gyrator system is still in the long term plan

That Clarkson street turn is causing some discussion and comment as the bus effectively has to cross the main flow to get from the stop to the new bus lane. Its also made the route more hazardous for cyclists.

I prefer the new 95 route though as it gets across the roundabout down to Mappin street more easily. The only problem is Mappin street is so rough at the moment you're in danger of losing your false teeth (or in my case grinning and bearing it with a broken rib)

This is stage 1 of a 3 stage plan so even when the works are complete in October its just a start. It looks like the closure of Tower Court to vehicles and the Brook Hill gyrator system is still in the long term plan

It was very poor planning this part.

How are they going to be able to resurface this now? This should have been done before closure of Leavygreave.

University is supposed to be for learning isn't it, not a holiday camp!

Do you have any idea about the transferable skills employers look for in a new graduate these days. If it was just about numbers and letters after your name then there would be no point going. Just stay at home and study a MOOC or online degree.

At this point they are looking for the soft skills that differentiate you from everyone else. Involvement in clubs , societies, campaigning, organising, taking part in outreach events like the festival of mind going on right now, pro Bono and free law events, working with local groups and the wider community.

These are the skills that get you in front of the queue. Its no point turning up with a 2.1 and nothing else to show for your 3 or 4 years other than an ability to stay in a room or library studying.

---------- Post added 23-09-2016 at 12:19 ----------

It was very poor planning this part.

How are they going to be able to resurface this now? This should have been done before closure of Leavygreave.

also add in the redirection of traffic up Trippetts lane to get out of JL car park once the NRQ build starts.

also add in the redirection of traffic up Trippetts lane to get out of JL car park once the NRQ build starts.

Yes, already bad. I don't want to take customers to Cambridge Street now!

Mind you, I noticed yesterday that Rockingham St has been resurfaced on the north section, so one can keep the false teeth in for this one now :D

The University need to be made to cough-up for the proper solution. The widening of the tram tunnel to take cars heading north-south and south-north under the roundabout too.

I'm glad it's not just me completely ****** off with this absurd road works scheme! Whether driving or taking the bus it's a Complete and utter nightmare! Whoever thought this one up needs stringing up - from the last tree in Sheffield after the council has had its wicked way.

Do you really think they want to chop every tree down?? Don't be so bloody stupid :roll:

Do you really think they want to chop every tree down?? Don't be so bloody stupid :roll:

Obviously you are incapable of comprehending irony.

Might I suggest that you all stop being so dependant on your cars?

COuld I also make the point that buses are also available

The way it stands those new right turns onto Clarkson Street won't have any effect at all - after sitting on buses at those lights every night this week, I can tell you with a little authority that the right turn green light is on for about 6 seconds !!! Sometimes ONE bus doesn't even have time to put on a full steering lock to get around the corner, before the light changes back to red again.

Might I suggest that you all stop being so dependant on your cars?

COuld I also make the point that buses are also available

They are - but to get to work on public transport takes me over an hour (if I don't have to wait too long each time I change buses) whereas I can drive it in 15 mins.

Buses in Sheffield seem to be routed on the most congested roads in the city