Virgin media issues

Tonight's 100mb connection test

5616084268.png

yet virgin have the cheek to put their prices up again (november) their reason is for better speeds and better tv services,yeah right.pure greed.

Wednesday i bit the bullet, had a look around for some more providers. Ended up with BT, SKY and Plusnet as the top 3. Had a chat with them all, they all guarenteed me the same as a minimum speed. And the SKy offered me a deal that, well, no one could touch.

So that's it, off to Sky I go.

Internet with VM has been rubbish since June. Apparently they were doing work to increase the speed...and that finished on 21st September.

The Internet is still slow...called out an engineer who said that the S5/S6 are now has a fault!!! This fault will result in slow speeds in the evenings/weekends and busy times (you know that time when we all want to use it!). I was told it will be lasting until the end of October.

Now I have tweeted about it and got onto Virgin Media more than enough times and the best they can offer me in compensation is £7.50 per month discount (hardly a dent in what people pay per month is it).

So....this thread is to encourage those with Virgin Media broadband in the areas of S5 and S6 to complain and ask for compensation. The more people who complain and they have to pay then they may be a bit quicker about resolving the problem.

The fault is..... F004758778 - Reference Open Outage.

Tonight my speed is not even 2mbps...when I pay for 50. Please test your broadband speed using the one by Ookla - the one Virgin Media recommends.

If they can't provide the service....let's hit them in the wallet.

Thanks. :)

Now I have tweeted about it and got onto Virgin Media more than enough times and the best they can offer me in compensation is £7.50 per month discount (hardly a dent in what people pay per month is it.....

I queried this with VM as to why only £7.50 and was told "That's how much OFCOM have said we can pay in compensation for a 50 Mbps line."

I'm sure if OFCOM did quote a figure, it would have been a minimum one not a maximum one!

Just go to Sky, VM don't care anymore.

If you are in S6 then Pine Media are worth a look at, they offer both Fibre and Air Fibre packages ranging from 20 to 100 meg. No phone line required and they are very reasonable on price.

Hi all.

Another miserable Virgin media S6 subscriber here.

I've had problems over 13 months with speed and issues with the local box at the end of the street. I'm currently getting a £10 goodwill (yes really) credit on the account. I was told the 17th August for a fix date - thus this hasn't happened.

I've now been informed 30th October which coincidently, is the date I can leave them without any penalty charges.

What are Sky and BT speeds like? I can get up to 76mbps with BT (according to them).

Any feedback will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Hi all.

Another miserable Virgin media S6 subscriber here.

I've had problems over 13 months with speed and issues with the local box at the end of the street. I'm currently getting a £10 goodwill (yes really) credit on the account. I was told the 17th August for a fix date - thus this hasn't happened.

I've now been informed 30th October which coincidently, is the date I can leave them without any penalty charges.

What are Sky and BT speeds like? I can get up to 76mbps with BT (according to them).

Any feedback will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

I have left Virgin out of contract (and you can too), because they can not fulfil the service they are providing you. I have just had Sky fiber max installed on Tuesday, I were told I could get a max of 76mbs (63mbs minimum guarenteed, or I have the right to leave out of contract).

Now I originally were paying for 50mbs from Virgin (which i was happy with) but were upgraded to 100mbs to try and combat the oversubscription issue. I had contacted Sky, BT and Plusnet (all can provide the same speeds, but on different packages and prices). Sky was my last bcontact and did me an offer I could not refuse for 12 month.

Now back to having it installed, it seems my currnet fastest speed being supplied to me (from Sky) is 50mbs. But I have to wait for 10 days for the line to be tested with different speeds (then I will contact them reguarding the guarenteed speed of 63mbs as I understand that the 78mbs is a upto maximum). Then again I am paying £26.18 a month for TV with a Sky Q box and the Sky fiber max, so I cant really complain for for 12 month.

Once the 12 month is up I will knock off the TV (never had it with Virgin, and not really fussed) and i will choose a BB package that fits me and is nearer the current download speed.

But as I say, I originally had the 50mbs package with Virgin and were happy with it (when it worked) so I am happy if i get that with Sky (if its a constant speed and not dropping to 2mbs in the evening :o). The best thing with Sky compared to virgin is the 19mbs upload speed, compared to the 6mbs with Virgin media. Much better to game with Sky then with Virgin :D

I have left Virgin out of contract (and you can too), because they can not fulfil the service they are providing you. I have just had Sky fiber max installed on Tuesday, I were told I could get a max of 76mbs (63mbs minimum guarenteed, or I have the right to leave out of contract).

Now I originally were paying for 50mbs from Virgin (which i was happy with) but were upgraded to 100mbs to try and combat the oversubscription issue. I had contacted Sky, BT and Plusnet (all can provide the same speeds, but on different packages and prices). Sky was my last bcontact and did me an offer I could not refuse for 12 month.

Now back to having it installed, it seems my currnet fastest speed being supplied to me (from Sky) is 50mbs. But I have to wait for 10 days for the line to be tested with different speeds (then I will contact them reguarding the guarenteed speed of 63mbs as I understand that the 78mbs is a upto maximum). Then again I am paying £26.18 a month for TV with a Sky Q box and the Sky fiber max, so I cant really complain for for 12 month.

Once the 12 month is up I will knock off the TV (never had it with Virgin, and not really fussed) and i will choose a BB package that fits me and is nearer the current download speed.

But as I say, I originally had the 50mbs package with Virgin and were happy with it (when it worked) so I am happy if i get that with Sky (if its a constant speed and not dropping to 2mbs in the evening :o). The best thing with Sky compared to virgin is the 19mbs upload speed, compared to the 6mbs with Virgin media. Much better to game with Sky then with Virgin :D

Thanks for the reply.

Well I want to do it before the 30th.

I think I will give SKY a ring if I can get a package like that, I will be more than happy!

I was chatting to a Virgin Media sales bloke outside a well known Supermarket, he told me the Cable is over 25 years old and cannot cope with the demand. Plus they are adding over 8,000 new homes to the current network!

He also said it will be well over a year before it will be sorted.

Overall his advice was - move to Sky!

Have a butchers here https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/packages

I'd say that speeds always vary but if you have a decent line and go for a fibre (FTTC / VDSL) mid range package you'll generally get about 30Mbps. Or at least that's what I'm getting from Vodafone at S5 8RN

No one ever gets 76Mbps, Even if you lived across the road from the exchange and it was fibre to exchange I doubt you'd get the full 76Mbps over twisted copper pair.