Summons for speeding...ban or fine?

Yeah right.

I had to go to court for speeding on the motorway. My brief (solicitor, we're not in america) made an argument for points and fine because i needed to be able to drive for my job, we had a letter from my company to back it up etc... The magistrates did exactly the opposite. Actually completely opposite, no points, minimum fine allowed and a 3 week ban.

I think they like to be contrary.

I'd hope anyone doing double the speed limit would be banned .

Now generally I'd agree, but on some roads it really is very easy to drive at nearly double the speed limit. Perfect example is Carlisle St. It's a 30 limit, but as it's a very empty, wide road and plenty of people go along it at 50+.

it all depends on the judge.

my scenario was that i was speeding along mosborough bypass, the chopper caught me & had a road block at darnall waiting for me.

please officers cautioned me & let me on my way.

at the time of my hearing i pled guilty to speeding @ 76mph on a deserted 40mph bypass.

i received a fine & 6 points.

I'd hope anyone doing double the speed limit would be banned .

why?? speeding by 1 mile is an offence so why just pick on one section of the law breaking community.

Now generally I'd agree, but on some roads it really is very easy to drive at nearly double the speed limit. Perfect example is Carlisle St. It's a 30 limit, but as it's a very empty, wide road and plenty of people go along it at 50+.

That's a poor example The road has Islands with bollards all the way down and is full of even by sheff standards dirty great big potholes, at the Brightside end it has a tailback of traffic at peek times and lots of people from Remploy cross the road

Carlisle St looks like the limit should be higher I agree maybe 40 .

why?? speeding by 1 mile is an offence so why just pick on one section of the law breaking community.

you look the argumentative type :hihi:

No going 1 mph over the limit wouldn't be seen as an offence most police forces allow about 10 % on the limit for if your speedo or their radar are slightly out of calibration .

you look the argumentative type :hihi:

No going 1 mph over the limit wouldn't be seen as an offence most police forces allow about 10 % on the limit for if your speedo or their radar are slightly out of calibration .

im not argumentative i just cant understand people who make sweeping statements that may not be relevant to all cases.

doing twice the limit passed a school or though a housing estate should be discouraged but that doesnt make all speeding unsafe.

iho that is.:thumbsup:

Say if someone got caught speeding at 63 mph in a 30 zone and they have a court summons, is it likely that the person will get a ban or some points and a hefty fine?

Just wondering if anyone has come across such a situation......

In case anyone was interested, the answer this time round is:

5 points and 400 squid fine...

Got off very lightly there IMHO

Two words: Nick Freeman