A chicken or a gold fish for rags.

When rag man used to come around our little Crescent you would hear him shout "Any owd ringo" as he lead his horse and cart up middle of the road as we only saw a car when Dr visited.

Any way one ragman on our beat used to give you a choice that being a chicken or a goldfish if you had a good pile of rags that is.

A little pile got you a balloon

We got a chicken on lots of occasions and within a day they were usually deeerd.

But just once we reared ours and it turned out to be a cockerel called Abert.

Our Albert grew like the clappers and so did his cocker doodle dooing which lead to Mrs Fearnley and Mrs Mills reporting him to the corperation .

When the rent man came the following Monday he handed my mam a written warning it was either Albert or us ,so Albert ended up int oven for Sunday dinner.

We sat down to eat ( all around a table in them days) but not one leg of our Albert got eten due to him being so tuff that even our Gipp turned her nose up at him .

Iv"e got a few fouls on my allotment now but no cokc..

Edited by samssong

Do you remember the balls on a piece of elastic that you could also get from the Rag Man? The ball was made of several layers of a metallic type paper but inside was just sawdust.

When rag man used to come around our little Crescent you would hear him shout "Any owd ringo" as he lead his horse and cart up middle of the road as we only saw a car when Dr visited.

Any way one ragman on our beat used to give you a choice that being a chicken or a goldfish if you had a good pile of rags that is.

I am wracking my brain to remember what we used to get the goldfish in.

Was it old jam jars?

I can't remember the rag man who came round our street in pitsmoor ( Ditchingham ) giving chickens but he did give out gold fish I had one for years my mum also asked me to get pegs of him as well his horse once stood on my foot it hurt like hell he used to let the kids ride on the cart if we promised to behave.

I can't remember the rag man who came round our street in pitsmoor ( Ditchingham ) giving chickens but he did give out gold fish I had one for years my mum also asked me to get pegs of him as well his horse once stood on my foot it hurt like hell he used to let the kids ride on the cart if we promised to behave.

I hated it when my mam teld me I had to get her some Donkey stone instead of a balloon .

I don't remember chicken's only goldfish, I always wanted a fish but my mum made me have the balloon.

In hindsight it was a good choice since it probably wouldn't have got fed.

Only remember a balloon if not the goldfish never heard of chicken where did you live to get that?

sweetdexter the goldfish was in a small plastic bag