Thinking of getting a Cav King Charles Spaniel, do you have one?

I know about there health problems but wondering if anyone in sheffield or close by breed them or not? I am also looking to spend time with one to make sure it doesnt effect my allergies. My brothers dog Kinder is a cocker spaniel and i am fine. But I would prefur to try before I buy/adopt if you see what I mean.

King charles spaniels are lovely natured animals but the breed has been messed with so aren't the healthiest breeds to have , some have fits and heart murmurs.

King charles spaniels are lovely natured animals but the breed has been messed with so aren't the healthiest breeds to have , some have fits and heart murmurs.

I am sure there are problems with all breeds : )

I am sure there are problems with all breeds : )

yes there is but read on here :http://www.cavalierhealth.org/

Personally speaking as a dog walker and adopter of a king charles Spaniel , I have seen many with health problems , Mojo was a very young dog she had a fit out of the blue one day and passed away, she had a heart murmur at 15 months , each year it progressed , it was level 3 when she died . She had odd behaviour , which didnt show on scan . She was lovely natured wouldnt hurt a fly and everybody loved her to bits .

yes there is but read on here :http://www.cavalierhealth.org/

Personally speaking as a dog walker and adopter of a king charles Spaniel , I have seen many with health problems , Mojo was a very young dog she had a fit out of the blue one day and passed away, she had a heart murmur at 15 months , each year it progressed , it was level 3 when she died . She had odd behaviour , which didnt show on scan . She was lovely natured wouldnt hurt a fly and everybody loved her to bits .

Sorry to hear about that the other breed I have looked at is poodle, I just love CKCS thats all :D. I have a PDSA close buy to where I live too.

I have a cav which I have had since a puppy he is coming up for 2 years soon. He was from a breeder in Derby who health tests their dogs. I previously had a cav from a rescue who was in very poor health. He had a severe heart murmur which progressed rapidly and we ended up having to put him to sleep after only having him about a year and a half

He had several episodes where he actually dropped dead in front of me and I had to give him cpr to save his life. This happened about 5 times. He got so poorly that we couldn't take him for walks at all. He was on so much medication and was very poorly for most of the time we had him

Do not underestimate how bad a severe heart murmur is. It's horrendous for the dog and the owner. It can't be cured just and will worsen

I would never get a cav that wasn't from health tested parents they are prone to several awful health conditions

Have you considered a cavapoo or cavachon if you have allergies? They're advertised as hypoallergenic and though I don't believe that our cavachon doesn't lose any hair. We had a cavalier before and she moulted a lot, which wasn't great for allergies. My partner has some problems with cat hair but hasn't had any problems with our dog. Hope this helps :)

Also there is a site called borrow my doggy that I've seen advertised - might help you find one to test with!

I have a cavalier.

I bought her as a 12 week old pup.....she is now 9 almost 10.

She suffered a lot with her ears when she was younger. She is now deaf and responds to hand signals.

Never had any other health issues.

She does struggle walking long distances these days though.