Memories of Eckington

That's Kings mews.The houses on there are recently built in the last 20 or so years

No King street was higher up right at the top of queens street area only a small street

kings mews has been up longer that 25 years at a guess but the name [ kings mews is an indacation about the area , My wife is on holiday in melbourne at the moment whilst middle feb . She will know exactly when we built the dormer bungalow and the new houses across from the bungalow were there then but its a long time ago . Kings street could also be reached first left past the pub on the left then left again . I thaught it was still there as not been down eck for 30 years time flies

Yes it was Ray that run the toy shop

I will ask my mum if she remember King st

She is in her 80s now so should remember :)

Raymond Walkley owned all occasions and the printing works behind the duke of York

He run Eckington Show alongside Margaret Fry

Raymond is my uncle and lives in Canada

It was Raymond who owned the toy shop it was called All occasions

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

]

Raymond Walkley owned all occasions and the printing works behind the duke of York

He run Eckington Show alongside Margaret Fry

Raymond is my uncle and lives in Canada

It was Raymond who owned the toy shop it was called All occasions

Thanks, he was a nice bloke and the shop was a dream for us young uns back then, I hope he’s keeping well.

Right done my research - Kings Road was at the bottom end of Station Rd leading to Peverill Road at the other end, when I was a youngster it was the site of a canning factory (the canners as it was known) when this closed in the early 70’s it was taken over by Eyres furniture shop as head office and distribution warehouse, the only resident I can remember was a guy who lived in a caravan on the site. It was left derelict after Eyres vacated and demolished for what is now Kings Mews.

Edited by nikki-red

Thanks, he was a nice bloke and the shop was a dream for us young uns back then, I hope he’s keeping well.

Right done my research - Kings Road was at the bottom end of Station Rd leading to Peverill Road at the other end, when I was a youngster it was the site of a canning factory (the canners as it was known) when this closed in the early 70’s it was taken over by Eyres furniture shop as head office and distribution warehouse, the only resident I can remember was a guy who lived in a caravan on the site. It was left derelict after Eyres vacated and demolished for what is now Kings Mews.

You quote KINGS ROAD ! Is that a typo, did you mean King Street which is the location I am after.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

You quote KINGS ROAD ! Is that a typo, did you mean King Street which is the location I am after.

Yes sorry, King Street.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

'I thang yew' isn't that one of (depending on how old you are) Arthur Askey's lines ? He was a 'supposed' comedian from Liverpool but I did not know that his un-humour was appreciated in north east Derbyshire. Also, isn't Mick Jagger's (yes him) grandmother buried in Eckington ?

Really enjoyed reading this. As a “top-ender” I’d have to disagree with your assessment of the bottom end being better. But you brought back lovely memories there. Thank you!

I took photo’s of “Porky Rowland” in his shop shortly before it closed. Still had the old cash register in £’s, shillings and pence, post decimalisation! He knew who I was before I even asked his permission to take the photos. Not because I’m famous or anything like that. But several generations of my family lived in Eckington and he immediately identified me as one of the clan.

If I wasn’t tuning in by phone I’d probably tell more about my memories of some of the other places you mention.

For now though.. do you remember “The Wizard”?

Really enjoyed reading this. As a “top-ender” I’d have to disagree with your assessment of the bottom end being better. But you brought back lovely memories there. Thank you!

I took photo’s of “Porky Rowland” in his shop shortly before it closed. Still had the old cash register in £’s, shillings and pence, post decimalisation! He knew who I was before I even asked his permission to take the photos. Not because I’m famous or anything like that. But several generations of my family lived in Eckington and he immediately identified me as one of the clan.

If I wasn’t tuning in by phone I’d probably tell more about my memories of some of the other places you mention.

For now though.. do you remember “The Wizard”?

I remember The Wizard - shop on (I think) Market St, quite close to the Duke of York, used to sell bric a brac and (I think again) household cleaning products, I remember saving up to buy a "pub mirror" as a Christmas present from there.

---------- Post added 29-01-2018 at 23:33 ----------

SandyBottoms looking for bullheads and crayfish under the stones

Para bank with sledges in winter and cardboard slides in summer

The Canners -nicking carrots from the sacks outside and the foul smelling pea slime

Mr Carter from the chippy giving us a free fishcake to get us to clear off

Also

Porky Rowlands the best shop in Eckington ( umm I thang yew)

Billy French's the second best

The bottom end being better than the top end (undisputed fact)

Camms school (the old one with Mr Kennon and Mr Woodhead)

Walking to Mosborough to get the 2p bus fare into town

Running back from Mosborough to get the last half hour in the Mossbrook

Charlie Jessop and Frankie (have you got any on missus ) Lowbridge

The day they opened the by pass away from the centre of the village

The feast

Eckington Show with Jackie Fox as Lady Godiva

Eckington Gala and the shop window competition

There are loads more from some very happy days

Some great memories here I certainly remember most of these. I was telling my lad about Bill Kennon the other week. I lived very near Charlie Jessop (and his lad Reg) as a kid.

Can you remember when some of the "fe'asters" got into trouble with the police and the "feast" stayed on the field near the West End for two full weeks, brilliant for us young uns. :hihi:

I give you...

Rankins!

Anyone remember that?

I give you...

Rankins!

Anyone remember that?

The name sounds very familiar, what was it?

I've got a recollection of clothing of some sort.

A few replies

Rankins This shop was on market street next to Davys the bakers. I primarily remember it as the place I got my sweets when I was little (I lived on Northgate). I'm sure it also sold stationary and toys. Closed in the late 60's early 70's

Bill Kennon I still have his book "The Spirit of Camms" which he wrote in my final year at Camms 1973. It was also the year Camms moved to the new school at the top of the Para Bank.

Pictures of Porky Rowlands There is a picture of one of the brothers on the wall of Kemps bakery. You are so right about them knowing everyone as I often went in with my nan for some pork dripping where she was met like a long lost friend

The feast The feast used to be on the site of the swimming baths originally before it moved "up Eckington"

I once did a list of my top 10 Eckington shops for some reason

1 Rowlands

2 Billy French's

3 Morgans

4 The Wizard

5 Mrs Hobsons sweet shop

6 Calverts sweet shop

7 Booths fruit and veg

8 Jack Woodheads barbers (I counted it as a shop)

9 French and Siddalls

10 Ray Walkleys

Nice to remember

Kev

A few replies

Rankins This shop was on market street next to Davys the bakers. I primarily remember it as the place I got my sweets when I was little (I lived on Northgate). I'm sure it also sold stationary and toys. Closed in the late 60's early 70's

Bill Kennon I still have his book "The Spirit of Camms" which he wrote in my final year at Camms 1973. It was also the year Camms moved to the new school at the top of the Para Bank.

Pictures of Porky Rowlands There is a picture of one of the brothers on the wall of Kemps bakery. You are so right about them knowing everyone as I often went in with my nan for some pork dripping where she was met like a long lost friend

The feast The feast used to be on the site of the swimming baths originally before it moved "up Eckington"

I once did a list of my top 10 Eckington shops for some reason

1 Rowlands

2 Billy French's

3 Morgans

4 The Wizard

5 Mrs Hobsons sweet shop

6 Calverts sweet shop

7 Booths fruit and veg

8 Jack Woodheads barbers (I counted it as a shop)

9 French and Siddalls

10 Ray Walkleys

Nice to remember

Kev

Now you describe Rankins I think I vaguely remember it, did you go up some steps to get in the front door?

I still have Bill Kennons Spirit of Camms and my names on the back in the list of 1973 pupils.