Memories of Eckington

I grew up in Eckington and was just having a reminisce about things from my chilhood can people remember:

The sandy bottoms

Para Bank

The Planting

The Canners

Ray Walkleys

Morgans

Davey's

Jack Woodheads

Carters Chipshop

Add your own memories/stories.

You still at Eckington then toppy?

You still at Eckington then toppy?

No been left a long time, still have some relatives who live there.

Memories of Eckington

Let me explain…

To cut a long story short. From the age of 7/8 I used to wander and adventure to places that seemed to be a long way from home. I was living at hackenthorpe at the time 1961-62. Moving to Newstead / Birley aged 12, I continued my adventures. At the age of 14 in 1968 the family Zakes (with me) moved to Gleadless town end. During all those years’ I got to see, Woodhouse, Beighton, Drakehouse, Frecheville, Birley, Ridgeway, Ford, Mosborough, Half-way, Renishaw and Eckington.

The years went by, including 17 years abroad.

In 1994 I decided to re-visit these childhood places again, aged 40. I was disappointed and angry with what I saw. My childhood playground (fields-woods-marchland etc.) had been taken away (without my permission LOL) from me. I cried. I’ll be typing a post about all this sometime. It’ll be something the over 60s will perhaps understand.

I forgot to mention that I saw some of these places again during 1972-74ish, before moving abroad.

--

One of those places was Eckington:

Mixed bag memories of 72-74 and 1994 onwards. In no particular order.

1 I recall Flymo at the bottom traffic lights

2 Is the Telephone Exchange building still there? What is it now?

3 I recall about 74 time going into the library (can’t recall the exact site) and coming out having bought 3 slightly scratched (surface marks) elpees. Two Beatles doubles, the red & the blue. Also, an elpee of Procol Harum. 25 pence each.

4 What is or was, Pipeyard

5 The White Hart pub (Home Ales) on Church Street next to the Church. I was in this pub 3 or 4 times in ’73-‘74ish. Did this pub later become a restaurant? Mick Jagger never got to see me in this pub.

6 Where is the still intact coal mine situated? I met the owner of the mine 3 years or so ago in a Barlbrough pub. He drove a flashy car. I could possibly have seen him again in the Albert, in Woodthorpe (Derbys).

7 Anybody recall an acquaintance of mine who went to Eckington school? She once lived at Wren Park Close, in Ridgeway. Kim Dawson (not related to Mark who runs the Queens, in Ridgeway).

8 Where do Eckington people now go on a night-out? Mosborogh? Dronfield?

9 Davy’s shop was mentioned on the thread. There is a lovely framed picture of the shop and other shops hanging in the front room (facing the main road) at the George and Dragon on Mosborough. My first job in 1969 was at Davy’s in Fargate-Sheffield.

10 Anybody know David Bowler? He used to post on the Forum.

11 I was recently in the Fox and Hounds, Marsh Lane. It was a bit dead for a Saturday night. I supped a pint of Mansfield.

12 After the Fox and hounds we then went to the Butcher’s Arms. There were two musicians playing, called The Fab Two. They were 2 blokes rom Nottingham area. They played Beatles songs and were brilliant. During the interlude, I spoke with them. We chatted about Home Ales and Shipstone Beer. The pub was quite full. I think I supped John Smiths.

13 About 15 years ago Eckington had a young top-notch snooker player. I forget his name. What happened to him? Snooker wise.

14 Albert Pub – Woodthorpe (Darby’s). I had Sunday din-dins at this pub this past summer. We were on our way back from a car-boot sale in Oldcotes. We decided on a slight detour LOL. The meal was superb and cost under a tenner. Two women were serving. They were both in their 50s or so LOL. One of them was to be going the next day on holiday to Portugal. We felt quite welcomed. As usual I ‘broke the ice’ and discovered the landlord was Steve who used to ‘run’ the Bridge, at Ford. Before Steve left the Bridge there was talk that he was possibly to be taking over the Snooker Club in Eckington. Did he? Even for a short spell?

I had many chats with Steve when he was at the Bridge. He spent his childhood in the Parkwood Springs area. I can’t remember his surname.

I also found out at the Albert that Steve took a bar staff member with him from the Bridge. A tall, lean but strong looking lad called Ashley. Ashley lives in Eckington I think. He and I had loads of chats at the Bridge when I used to do my fortnightly daytime jaunts on that area a couple of years ago.

I often visit the South-East area of Sheffield in search of things (even small) to jog memory to use in my yesteryear forum posts of my boyhood. LOL.

15 Eckington Engineering.

16 Does anybody recognise themself on these pics? Market Street, Post Office, Southgate.

Memories of Eckington

Let me explain…

To cut a long story short. From the age of 7/8 I used to wander and adventure to places that seemed to be a long way from home. I was living at hackenthorpe at the time 1961-62. Moving to Newstead / Birley aged 12, I continued my adventures. At the age of 14 in 1968 the family Zakes (with me) moved to Gleadless town end. During all those years’ I got to see, Woodhouse, Beighton, Drakehouse, Frecheville, Birley, Ridgeway, Ford, Mosborough, Half-way, Renishaw and Eckington.

The years went by, including 17 years abroad.

In 1994 I decided to re-visit these childhood places again, aged 40. I was disappointed and angry with what I saw. My childhood playground (fields-woods-marchland etc.) had been taken away (without my permission LOL) from me. I cried. I’ll be typing a post about all this sometime. It’ll be something the over 60s will perhaps understand.

I forgot to mention that I saw some of these places again during 1972-74ish, before moving abroad.

--

One of those places was Eckington:

Mixed bag memories of 72-74 and 1994 onwards. In no particular order.

1 I recall Flymo at the bottom traffic lights

2 Is the Telephone Exchange building still there? What is it now?

3 I recall about 74 time going into the library (can’t recall the exact site) and coming out having bought 3 slightly scratched (surface marks) elpees. Two Beatles doubles, the red & the blue. Also, an elpee of Procol Harum. 25 pence each.

4 What is or was, Pipeyard

5 The White Hart pub (Home Ales) on Church Street next to the Church. I was in this pub 3 or 4 times in ’73-‘74ish. Did this pub later become a restaurant? Mick Jagger never got to see me in this pub.

6 Where is the still intact coal mine situated? I met the owner of the mine 3 years or so ago in a Barlbrough pub. He drove a flashy car. I could possibly have seen him again in the Albert, in Woodthorpe (Derbys).

7 Anybody recall an acquaintance of mine who went to Eckington school? She once lived at Wren Park Close, in Ridgeway. Kim Dawson (not related to Mark who runs the Queens, in Ridgeway).

8 Where do Eckington people now go on a night-out? Mosborogh? Dronfield?

9 Davy’s shop was mentioned on the thread. There is a lovely framed picture of the shop and other shops hanging in the front room (facing the main road) at the George and Dragon on Mosborough. My first job in 1969 was at Davy’s in Fargate-Sheffield.

10 Anybody know David Bowler? He used to post on the Forum.

11 I was recently in the Fox and Hounds, Marsh Lane. It was a bit dead for a Saturday night. I supped a pint of Mansfield.

12 After the Fox and hounds we then went to the Butcher’s Arms. There were two musicians playing, called The Fab Two. They were 2 blokes rom Nottingham area. They played Beatles songs and were brilliant. During the interlude, I spoke with them. We chatted about Home Ales and Shipstone Beer. The pub was quite full. I think I supped John Smiths.

13 About 15 years ago Eckington had a young top-notch snooker player. I forget his name. What happened to him? Snooker wise.

14 Albert Pub – Woodthorpe (Darby’s). I had Sunday din-dins at this pub this past summer. We were on our way back from a car-boot sale in Oldcotes. We decided on a slight detour LOL. The meal was superb and cost under a tenner. Two women were serving. They were both in their 50s or so LOL. One of them was to be going the next day on holiday to Portugal. We felt quite welcomed. As usual I ‘broke the ice’ and discovered the landlord was Steve who used to ‘run’ the Bridge, at Ford. Before Steve left the Bridge there was talk that he was possibly to be taking over the Snooker Club in Eckington. Did he? Even for a short spell?

I had many chats with Steve when he was at the Bridge. He spent his childhood in the Parkwood Springs area. I can’t remember his surname.

I also found out at the Albert that Steve took a bar staff member with him from the Bridge. A tall, lean but strong looking lad called Ashley. Ashley lives in Eckington I think. He and I had loads of chats at the Bridge when I used to do my fortnightly daytime jaunts on that area a couple of years ago.

I often visit the South-East area of Sheffield in search of things (even small) to jog memory to use in my yesteryear forum posts of my boyhood. LOL.

15 Eckington Engineering.

16 Does anybody recognise themself on these pics? Market Street, Post Office, Southgate.

The company at the traffic lights was Atco.

Don't think the White Heart ever became a restaurant, it declined as a pub and was later converted into apartments.

Memories of Eckington

The picture entitled Post Office is actually the shops at the junction of Market Street and Northgate.

The shop in the centre is the site of Rankins in the 60's (mentioned first in Post 44)

On the left at a similar time was Davys (bakers) and on the right was Gilberts (chemist)

The one entitled Southgate has the site of the Post Office (first shop on the left) followed by Baumforths then Porky Rowlands

Oh my God! I remember the fire on Ashland Road. Didn't a young child die in it. Knew who it was at the time but can't remember a name now

The familys name was Parton i was at school with one of the children,