Memories of Eckington

SandyBottoms looking for bullheads and crayfish under the stones

Para bank with sledges in winter and cardboard slides in summer

The Canners -nicking carrots from the sacks outside and the foul smelling pea slime

Mr Carter from the chippy giving us a free fishcake to get us to clear off

Also

Porky Rowlands the best shop in Eckington ( umm I thang yew)

Billy French's the second best

The bottom end being better than the top end (undisputed fact)

Camms school (the old one with Mr Kennon and Mr Woodhead)

Walking to Mosborough to get the 2p bus fare into town

Running back from Mosborough to get the last half hour in the Mossbrook

Charlie Jessop and Frankie (have you got any on missus ) Lowbridge

The day they opened the by pass away from the centre of the village

The feast

Eckington Show with Jackie Fox as Lady Godiva

Eckington Gala and the shop window competition

There are loads more from some very happy days

'I thang yew' isn't that one of (depending on how old you are) Arthur Askey's lines ? He was a 'supposed' comedian from Liverpool but I did not know that his un-humour was appreciated in north east Derbyshire. Also, isn't Mick Jagger's (yes him) grandmother buried in Eckington ?

It was the distinctive way Porky Rowland responded to his customers after serving them. Not sure he meant it to sound like Arthur Askey because it certainly didn't

Quite correct about Mick Jaggers grandma. He often went in the white hart pub when he came to visit her grave in the churchyard

I visited my grandparents regularly in Eckington and would be allowed to play on "the rec" off the back of Lansbury Rd, and we'd sometimes walk through the allotments.

Also, isn't Mick Jagger's (yes him) grandmother buried in Eckington ?

Quite likely. His uncle lived in Sheffield, a pal of mine used to work with him.

There's a recently demolished building on Littlemoor, the site is now covered up by blue fencing. I know back in the 90s it was some sort of office/IT supply place - I bought some paper there. It was a very 1930s looking building -almost military.

Does anybody know what it was originally?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3103375,-1.3502809,3a,75y,261.06h,82.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn9FU11IlN3KqGa_TDYF4mQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Do you mean here?

It was Northgate IT Services (part of Northgate Arinso) when I worked there in 2005 - 07, the office closed some time later (2 to 5 years later) and the building was demolished sometime in the last few years.

I think it was originally something to do with the reserves, or home guard barracks or something like that.

The building in question is Eckington Drill Hall. It was a base for training soldiers during the Second World War and also the location of a searchlight

Following the war became the venue for dances with some well known dance bands playing there

The building on the Littlemoor has been offices for at least a couple more companies over the years.

At some point before Northgate IT/Arinso I think it was offices for Prolog. Before that I seem to think it was offices for Servo (not Servelec who are on Rotherside Road).

The building next door which is now Littlemoor Business Centre used to be the offices for Boart UK.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 21:22 ----------

I visited my grandparents regularly in Eckington and would be allowed to play on "the rec" off the back of Lansbury Rd, and we'd sometimes walk through the allotments.

What was the square concrete area on the Lansbury Road rec? It was a large square shape with concrete walls about 12" high on 4 sides. On the front wall there was a gap probably the width of 2 doorways. It was next to the swings, not the roundabout side though.

Talking of 'recs' in Eckington. Does anyone remember the really high slide on Woodview rec? Also, wasnt there there a rec somewhere down Ashland Road before you got to the cannery?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3103375,-1.3502809,3a,75y,261.06h,82.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn9FU11IlN3KqGa_TDYF4mQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Do you mean here?

It was Northgate IT Services (part of Northgate Arinso) when I worked there in 2005 - 07, the office closed some time later (2 to 5 years later) and the building was demolished sometime in the last few years.

I think it was originally something to do with the reserves, or home guard barracks or something like that.

That's the one.

---------- Post added 25-09-2016 at 01:23 ----------

The building in question is Eckington Drill Hall. It was a base for training soldiers during the Second World War and also the location of a searchlight

Following the war became the venue for dances with some well known dance bands playing there

Thanks for that, it certainly had that sort of look about it but didn't know the history.

Prolog was bought be Northgate. One of the owners bought a Ferrari after the sale and crashed it on the 1st day he had it. (Or so I heard from staff who'd been there at the time).

What was the square concrete area on the Lansbury Road rec? It was a large square shape with concrete walls about 12" high on 4 sides. On the front wall there was a gap probably the width of 2 doorways. It was next to the swings, not the roundabout side though.

probably a sandpit for the kids