Anyone purchased a Taylor Wimpey home recently?

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking to move house and have found a house we like through Taylor Wimpey. We went today to look at the show home and ask about what was included as standard etc, we were a little shocked to discover hardly anything was included (no flooring, no curtains/blinds, only half tiling, no white goods in kitchen apart from the oven).

The sales lady wasn't pushy at all and didn't seem in a hurry to try and sell us one of her homes, she also was very cagey about the cost of extras and said you would only get to see these once you had reserved.

Has anyone who has bought a TW home managed to negotiate on any incentives? I've read some older posts on forums where people have managed to get x amount of cash given towards extras, stamp duty paid/legal fees etc, just wondering if it is worth trying to negotiate or if it's a lost cause.

If anyone has a recent list of extras costs that would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance.

Yep, but 8 years ago.

Looked very nice, but under the polish, it's very, very poor build quality sadly.

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking to move house and have found a house we like through Taylor Wimpey. We went today to look at the show home and ask about what was included as standard etc, we were a little shocked to discover hardly anything was included (no flooring, no curtains/blinds, only half tiling, no white goods in kitchen apart from the oven).

The sales lady wasn't pushy at all and didn't seem in a hurry to try and sell us one of her homes, she also was very cagey about the cost of extras and said you would only get to see these once you had reserved.

Has anyone who has bought a TW home managed to negotiate on any incentives? I've read some older posts on forums where people have managed to get x amount of cash given towards extras, stamp duty paid/legal fees etc, just wondering if it is worth trying to negotiate or if it's a lost cause.

If anyone has a recent list of extras costs that would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance.

Similar story here, we were looking to buy this time last year & had a nosey round the Waverley development. Harron homes offered us SDLT paid, legal fees paid, they'd sell my house for free, fully fitted carpets & fully fitted kitchen. Went to Barratt and they offered all that plus £5k discount if we reserved that week. Went to Taylor Wimpey & the lady was very casual, I asked about incentives & she said we have non, we price our houses fairly and offer no incentives & this is not negotiable. They did offer is smooth move in the end which is when they pay for the sale of your current home. To be fair to them you did seem to get a bigger house for the money.

In the end we didn't buy on that development but we bought a Barratt home with the following incentives: fully fitted upgraded kitchen & flooring package. Garden turfed and fenced. Stamp duty paid, legal fees paid, my estate agent fees for selling paid.

We are extremely happy with the quality of our new build, it's a lovely, large & bright home. Go to the developer with a plan. Remember if you don't ask you don't get.

Most developers allow a certain amount of customer options: either selecting materials from a price-list or choosing non-standard options at reduced extra cost.

Most developers allow a certain amount of customer options: either selecting materials from a price-list or choosing non-standard options at reduced extra cost.

A developer is very unlikely to alter any materials that a house a built with. And non standard options at a reduced cost i dont think so. Kitchens etc are pre ordered by builders . The only thing that he may alter are extras/carpets ets. but not in this climate of supply and demand :suspect:

We live in a TW house. Agree re Poor Build Quality. But then I think it took 13 weeks start to finish to build so am not sure what I was expecting! - Assume its the same with most builders though.

We live in a TW house. Agree re Poor Build Quality. But then I think it took 13 weeks start to finish to build so am not sure what I was expecting! - Assume its the same with most builders though.

Yes about right. But its up to you to inspect standard of bwk etc, Can vary from one house to another on same site. Not enough trades men available so a lot of

shody work done unskilled trades. :suspect:

A developer is very unlikely to alter any materials that a house a built with.

If structural: yes, I agree.

If non-structural or kitchen/bedroom/bathroom fitments: no, this often happens.

Similar story here, we were looking to buy this time last year & had a nosey round the Waverley development. Harron homes offered us SDLT paid, legal fees paid, they'd sell my house for free, fully fitted carpets & fully fitted kitchen. Went to Barratt and they offered all that plus £5k discount if we reserved that week. Went to Taylor Wimpey & the lady was very casual, I asked about incentives & she said we have non, we price our houses fairly and offer no incentives & this is not negotiable. They did offer is smooth move in the end which is when they pay for the sale of your current home. To be fair to them you did seem to get a bigger house for the money.

In the end we didn't buy on that development but we bought a Barratt home with the following incentives: fully fitted upgraded kitchen & flooring package. Garden turfed and fenced. Stamp duty paid, legal fees paid, my estate agent fees for selling paid.

We are extremely happy with the quality of our new build, it's a lovely, large & bright home. Go to the developer with a plan. Remember if you don't ask you don't get.

Did you have to ask with Harron or were they quite willing to give you all that without much persuasion?

Did you have to ask with Harron or were they quite willing to give you all that without much persuasion?

You have to play the game a little bit, I went to a few developers and asked them all what they would be willing to do to gain our business then I went back and forth until I got offers with each developer that I was happy with other than Taylor Wimpey of course, and then we just went with the right deal for us.

We were looking at Waverley, a Strata development in Bramley (Identity) and The Hedgerows Barratt Development at Thurcroft (personally we did not like the Persimmon homes, just personal preference). So we had offers we were happy with from Harron, Barratt and Strata.

In the end though we decided against the Waverley as we got less for our money there and my eldest is at Wickersley comp and the parkway at rush hour is a nightmare, if either me or my wife worked in Sheffield though we probably would have bought on Waverley.

I do mortgages for clients buying new builds all the time and the best advice I give is if you don't ask you don't get. If you go there and fall in love with a house they will gladly accept your offer with no incentives but go in there and be hard faced and a lot of them will offer you the world to sell you a house.

A slight word of caution though you have to be wary of cash incentives (stamp duty paid / deposit contributions / cash back etc) as the lenders do not like them and it can adversely affect the valuation, it is simpler to get incentives such as carpets, upgraded kitchens, garden fencing etc.

If they offer cash incentives don't turn them down just make sure you check with the lender or your advisor (broker) that it will be okay.

In the end we got fully fitted gold rated kitchen (Zanussi appliances etc) uprated (thicker and stain resistant) carperts through out, tiled bathroom, toilet and en suite shower, £2k toward stamp duty, my estate agent fees covered for the sale of my property & the garden was fenced, turfed and landscaped. We also got a £22k reduction on the purchase price as the plot was almost completed and someone had pulled out.

Edited by Danny_Boy

You have to play the game a little bit, I went to a few developers and asked them all what they would be willing to do to gain our business then I went back and forth until I got offers with each developer that I was happy with other than Taylor Wimpey of course, and then we just went with the right deal for us.

We were looking at Waverley, a Strata development in Bramley (Identity) and The Hedgerows Barratt Development at Thurcroft (personally we did not like the Persimmon homes, just personal preference). So we had offers we were happy with from Harron, Barratt and Strata.

In the end though we decided against the Waverley as we got less for our money there and my eldest is at Wickersley comp and the parkway at rush hour is a nightmare, if either me or my wife worked in Sheffield though we probably would have bought on Waverley.

I do mortgages for clients buying new builds all the time and the best advice I give is if you don't ask you don't get. If you go there and fall in love with a house they will gladly accept your offer with no incentives but go in there and be hard faced and a lot of them will offer you the world to sell you a house.

A slight word of caution though you have to be wary of cash incentives (stamp duty paid / deposit contributions / cash back etc) as the lenders do not like them and it can adversely affect the valuation, it is simpler to get incentives such as carpets, upgraded kitchens, garden fencing etc.

If they offer cash incentives don't turn them down just make sure you check with the lender or your advisor (broker) that it will be okay.

In the end we got fully fitted gold rated kitchen (Zanussi appliances etc) uprated (thicker and stain resistant) carperts through out, tiled bathroom, toilet and en suite shower, £2k toward stamp duty, my estate agent fees covered for the sale of my property & the garden was fenced, turfed and landscaped. We also got a £22k reduction on the purchase price as the plot was almost completed and someone had pulled out.

Thank you so much for your reply, very helpful advice! :)

Thank you so much for your reply, very helpful advice! :)

No problem, drop me a pm if you have any other questions, happy to help.