Can you tec one in mester?

Just been watching some old films on T.V .

And it brought back memories of being stood outside the Manor, Rex or Carlton cinema and due to the film being an A certificate asking any adult who was going in "Can you take one in mester please".

If some one decided that they would help you out to gain admission to the A film then the ritual would involve handing over your tanner (sixpence) or nine pence so as the adult could ask for one and a half at the kiosk .

This inferred that the half price kid with him or her was in fact related.

Once inside you had to sit near to your good Samaritan .

Can you imagine this happening today when kids are warned not to talk to strangers and in many cases adults are wary of getting into any conversation with young kids due to today's mistrust this due to the perverts that we never even knew existed .

Innocent days when I was stood out side the Manor saying "Take one in Mester".

My goodness - memories! At the Kinema in the 1950s me big bruvver would ask "Can you tec two in mester?" as I were usually wi' 'im. :P

I had forgotten all about that !

Yeah we did go up to strangers and ask to be taken in.

My Mum once told me, in her day you could get in with a jam jar instead of paying.

I did this outside the Forum Southey but we never had any trouble in those days.

good ol days werent they i did the same outside the paragon firth park used to be 7d

Another thread pinched by the Star on todays Monica, page 26.

I did this at both Hillsborough and Bramall Lane and never failed to get in. Even if a shareholder didn,t take me in the man on the gate would say , " come on son climb over, quick" good times, i did that till i was fourteen and had got a paper round job and could afford to pay.

Another thread pinched by the Star on todays Monica, page 26.

Wrong, Monica doesn't read Sheffield Forum and she's independent not a Star employee. Believe it or not two different people can come up with the same idea.

Wrong, Monica doesn't read Sheffield Forum and she's independent not a Star employee. Believe it or not two different people can come up with the same idea.

Well it must be a coincidence then as the same thing happened with the El Mambo thread

Oh how many times I've stood outside the Regal on Staniforth Road waiting for a couple to ask, courting couples were always best because they'd take you in but never wanted you to sit with them.

I remember well Alan 58 .think it was called the silver disc que .happy days im 51

so it must have been the late 70s.