Homelessness and mental health

The lack of social housing (council housing) and right to buy, mean this situation will continue, only Jeremy corbyn will sort this out.

What a pity he wont win the general election then. If he's still around by 2020.

The lack of social housing (council housing) and right to buy, mean this situation will continue, only Jeremy corbyn will sort this out.

So before 1980 there were no homeless people?

pretty much everyone acknowledges that mental health services are woeful but don't worry we'll soon be able to spend an additional £350 million a week on the NHS they will improve then

---------- Post added 31-08-2016 at 23:01 ----------

lets not forget the mentally ill people who have been through ids's assessments and benefit reforms and been made homeless because they have had their benefits removed

Many people with Mental health problems simply can't cope with our Draconian Benefits system and become homeless because of it.

Too confused to fill in the very complicated forms? Tough. Haven't felt well enough to look for work? Lying. 5 minutes late to sign on? Sanctioned. Didn't know what the procedures were? Rules have changed again since last time you were here? Don't know where to go to get help? Haven't got the bus fare to get there anyway? Having a bad day and lose your temper?

Sanctions sanctions sanctions all the way.

No money, no rent, no home....

Not surprising 46% are homeless really. Sanctions are the most iniquitous thing this rotton government has come up with. And as Mr M said, if you didn't have mental problems before, you soon will have....

The NHS can't afford to look after everybody,they need to spend the funds elsewhere.

There are 30 flats suitable for single people (one bedroom and studio flat) available through Sheffield Property Shop in the 'First Come First Served' band. That means they have attracted no bids from people in other bands, so no waiting time is needed. Unfortunately only four are for people under the age of 55/60, although I believe SCC are intending to remove age banding from some properties making them more widely accessible.

However, getting someone off the streets isn't always a case of finding them a flat. Many homeless people will have had several suitable homes, but lost them for a variety of reasons, poor mental health being one. If ongoing support isn't available to help people sustain a tenancy, then the cycle continues. If someone has previously left social housing with unpaid rent, or been evicted because of anti social behaviour, they may find it almost impossible to get social housing in the future.

The council are looking to increase their stock of homes by buying some, anyone interested in selling to them?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/search-result.html?queryStr=property

It's an interesting point. I wonder if any of us were made homeless how our mental health would be impacted upon. The uncertainty, fear and desperation must be horrible. Perhaps if we didn't have mental health problems before being made homeless, then the likelihood of developing them after being homeless would increase, I would think.

Yes indeed I think losing your home must have an effect on your mental health. It's similar to the remark I heard in a doctor's waiting room when someone commented about a very overweight woman who was having hip problems. She overheard someone say, she ought to get of her fat backside and get some weight off. She was not pleased with that remark I can tell you. She said, I'm overweight because of my hip problems, before that I was as slim as you. So you never know.

Coming back to care in the community, I think that was just a government excuse to avoid spending money on it.

---------- Post added 01-09-2016 at 11:37 ----------

There are 30 flats suitable for single people (one bedroom and studio flat) available through Sheffield Property Shop in the 'First Come First Served' band. That means they have attracted no bids from people in other bands, so no waiting time is needed. Unfortunately only four are for people under the age of 55/60, although I believe SCC are intending to remove age banding from some properties making them more widely accessible.

However, getting someone off the streets isn't always a case of finding them a flat. Many homeless people will have had several suitable homes, but lost them for a variety of reasons, poor mental health being one. If ongoing support isn't available to help people sustain a tenancy, then the cycle continues. If someone has previously left social housing with unpaid rent, or been evicted because of anti social behaviour, they may find it almost impossible to get social housing in the future.

The council are looking to increase their stock of homes by buying some, anyone interested in selling to them?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/search-result.html?queryStr=property

There are a fair few elderly people I know who would love to downsize and sell up and move somewhere more manageable and they all say the same thing, that the houses being built are all family homes rather than a small flat with a balcony, which is about the size they want.

The NHS can't afford to look after everybody,they need to spend the funds elsewhere.

It's true to say that Peter will have to be robbed to pay Paul - the NHS doesn't have a bottomless pit of money.

The problem then is - where does the money come from - childrens services, cancer care, elderly care........ ?

Mental health and elderly care services are seriously lacking in funding and the prediction is an increase in demand over the next few years.

Maybe it will be funded by the £350m promised by Brexit :rolleyes:

Edited by Daven

Very few people with mental health problems need hospitalisation. Most of these problems can be managed with medication if nothing else.

Steven Fry is bipolar. A great many people have anxiety disorders, these usually don't even need medication.

I'm not sure how the fact that they're homeless is relevant. Do you assert that they're homeless because of their mental health problems?

Mind will tell you that "1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year". It's too broad a term to infer much from.

Don't get me started. It's abysmal. It can take years to get a diagnosis and i the mean time the mis-application of powerful mind altering drugs is horrifying.

But as you know: ⸮Our NHS is the envy of the world, and the only possible alternative is the US system⸮

I think you have just contradicted yourself there.

I only mention in passing that there is a homeless man who 'lives', with his possessions in the passage way where the lap dancing club used to be at the top of Charter Row. I saw him a few days ago dry brushing his teeth. It's desperately sad to see someone trying to hold on to that bit of routine from their previous life....

Has anyone else seen him there?

I have seen him a couple of times whilst cycling to work this week. He was there this morning, and on Tuesday morning.

It's true to say that Peter will have to be robbed to pay Paul - the NHS doesn't have a bottomless pit of money.

The problem then is - where does the money come from - childrens services, cancer care, elderly care........ ?

Mental health and elderly care services are seriously lacking in funding and the prediction is an increase in demand over the next few years.

Maybe it will be funded by the £350m promised by Brexit :rolleyes:

Or from tax evaders and avoiders. Then all of the above could be adequately funded. When someone who is so ill that they are detained under the Mental Health Act has to sleep in a police car overnight because there are no beds it tells us there is something seriously wrong. This wouldn't happen to someone with a physical health emergency.

Do you think it may have some thing to do with the old straw on the Donkeys Back scenario small island and all peoples from every corner of the planet heading here in large numbers NHS under strain not mention the rest housing care for the elderly maybe its just me with a wrong observation!

There are probably numerous reasons. I often wonder if the care in the community method actually made things better or worse.