Homelessness and mental health

2,500 homeless people have mental health problems in London alone.

This figure, which was said to be 46% of homeless in London, was sadly missing from the 'Special Report' on 'tonight's News at 10,' but was given on Radio 4's programme 'PM with Eddie Mair.'

That means that there are more than 5,000 homeless people in London, nearly half of whom have mental health problems.

Is it just me that finds these figures shocking? Should these people with mental health problems not be in hospital? What happened to care in the community? Can we, one of the richest countries in the world, call ourselves civilised with figures like these?

And we're not talking about the odd headache and feeling a bit glum: many of these people have serious issues - schizophrenia, paranoia, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, - how are they ever going to get better with chaotic lives, sleeping rough? Do we just write them off and leave them to it?

What can be done?

Edited by Anna B

2,500 homeless people have mental health problems in London alone.

This figure, which was said to be 46% of homeless in London, was sadly missing from the 'Special Report' on 'tonight's News at 10,' but was given on Radio 4's programme 'PM with Eddie Mair.'

That means that there are nearly 5,000 homeless people in London, nearly half of whom have mental health problems.

Is it just me that finds these figures shocking? Should these people with mental health problems not be in hospital? What happened to care in the community? Can we, one of the richest countries in the world, call ourselves civilised with figures like these?

And we not talking about the odd headache and feeling a bit glum: many of these people have serious issues - schizophrenia, paranoia, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, - how are they ever going to get better with chaotic lives, sleeping rough? Do we just write them off and leave them to it?

What can be done?

Very few people with mental health problems need hospitalisation. Most of these problems can be managed with medication if nothing else.

Steven Fry is bipolar. A great many people have anxiety disorders, these usually don't even need medication.

I'm not sure how the fact that they're homeless is relevant. Do you assert that they're homeless because of their mental health problems?

Mind will tell you that "1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year". It's too broad a term to infer much from.

Very few people with mental health problems need hospitalisation. Most of these problems can be managed with medication if nothing else.

Steven Fry is bipolar. A great many people have anxiety disorders, these usually don't even need medication.

I'm not sure how the fact that they're homeless is relevant. Do you assert that they're homeless because of their mental health problems?

Mind will tell you that "1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year". It's too broad a term to infer much from.

What it isn't too broad for though is the conclusion that mental health care in the current (NHS) system is woefully neglected and deserves far more attention.

What it isn't too broad for though is the conclusion that mental health care in the current (NHS) system is woefully neglected and deserves far more attention.

Don't get me started. It's abysmal. It can take years to get a diagnosis and i the mean time the mis-application of powerful mind altering drugs is horrifying.

But as you know: ⸮Our NHS is the envy of the world, and the only possible alternative is the US system⸮

It's an interesting point. I wonder if any of us were made homeless how our mental health would be impacted upon. The uncertainty, fear and desperation must be horrible. Perhaps if we didn't have mental health problems before being made homeless, then the likelihood of developing them after being homeless would increase, I would think.

for some it certainly will be, for others it will be a contributory factor

i'm sure you can find the radio 4 piece on iplayer, perhaps you should listen to it.

It's an interesting point. I wonder if any of us were made homeless how our mental health would be impacted upon. The uncertainty, fear and desperation must be horrible. Perhaps if we didn't have mental health problems before being made homeless, then the likelihood of developing them after being homeless would increase, I would think.

How many of those 2500 are ex-forces with ptsd? It will be a fair chunk I bet.

Absolutely.

Don't get me started. It's abysmal. It can take years to get a diagnosis and i the mean time the mis-application of powerful mind altering drugs is horrifying.

But as you know: ⸮Our NHS is the envy of the world, and the only possible alternative is the US system⸮

Having said that 'community care' is often split between a variety of departments - DWP, the council, the NHS, independent voluntary services and informal care such as family and friends. I sometimes think if it weren't for the efforts of this latter group then more people would fall through the net.

Edited by Mister M

pretty much everyone acknowledges that mental health services are woeful but don't worry we'll soon be able to spend an additional £350 million a week on the NHS they will improve then

---------- Post added 31-08-2016 at 23:01 ----------

lets not forget the mentally ill people who have been through ids's assessments and benefit reforms and been made homeless because they have had their benefits removed

I only mention in passing that there is a homeless man who 'lives', with his possessions in the passage way where the lap dancing club used to be at the top of Charter Row. I saw him a few days ago dry brushing his teeth. It's desperately sad to see someone trying to hold on to that bit of routine from their previous life....

Has anyone else seen him there?

The lack of social housing (council housing) and right to buy, mean this situation will continue, only Jeremy corbyn will sort this out.