How much weight have you put on since you were a teenager?

I'm pretty sure clothes sizes have got bigger over the years and an 8 now is what a 10 used to be.

Yep this is true. There's also no consistency between different shops, I've got clothes ranging from an 8 to a 14 but they all fit me so must all be the same size regardless of what the label says.

One thing I did think about the thread was the way it assumes that excessive weight gain occurs with age. I personally think that there is no excuse to put weight on just because you get older. It's all about self control.

One thing I did think about the thread was the way it assumes that excessive weight gain occurs with age. I personally think that there is no excuse to put weight on just because you get older. It's all about self control.

Not really, there are specific age-related factors, increased income, growing satisfaction (or indeed the opposite) with where you are in life, less peer pressure.

The 'ooh just control yourself' thing is just a lazy putdown of (not by) lazy people. I happily accept that I could have gained less weight and weigh less than I do, but I have got self-control in spades.

I have gone from being skinny to being over weight. I have always had a relatively poor diet but from age 5-17 I played football 4 times a week which helped keep the weight down. At 18 I found my friend beer and stopped playing football, I have a job that involves sitting on my bum or driving and I have got to the point where I don't want to go to the gym because of the funny looks I would get.

I do tend to walk around 10 miles a week over the weekend and I eat a lot better now than I used to. My weight is now relatively stable but I am still over weight. I do lack motivation no doubt, I will diet for 2 or 3 weeks and start exercising but then when I think how much hard work it was to cut down and do the exercise and I get on the scales after 3 weeks and I have lost a pound I just think what's the point.

Not really, there are specific age-related factors, increased income, growing satisfaction (or indeed the opposite) with where you are in life, less peer pressure.

The 'ooh just control yourself' thing is just a lazy putdown of (not by) lazy people. I happily accept that I could have gained less weight and weigh less than I do, but I have got self-control in spades.

Age is no excuse.

I have gone from being skinny to being over weight. I have always had a relatively poor diet but from age 5-17 I played football 4 times a week which helped keep the weight down. At 18 I found my friend beer and stopped playing football, I have a job that involves sitting on my bum or driving and I have got to the point where I don't want to go to the gym because of the funny looks I would get.

^^^^ This I totally understand. I went to a physiotherapist and the waiting room full of sporty types. I waddled in and I had to check I hadn't walked dog crap in the looks I was getting. (I checked - I hadn't walked dog crap in).

I excercise at home, walk more and look forward to the jobs that involve stairs and heavy lifting. The weight doesn't shift much!

I see most people have got into the metric system with weight!

I still work in stones :hihi:

(however to answer the question, my weight has not changed, I'm still and always have been hugely underweight - by people's standards)

When I joined the RN in 1949 at 17, they weighed you in pounds just like America. I sneaked in at 140 lbs. Today at 85 I'm still in pounds in America at 240 pounds

or 17 stone, a touch over weight I guess, but don't care.:(

Age is no excuse.

I disagree. For those fortunate enough to be in good health throughout their lives, age may have little impact, but many are affected by age related conditions which limit activities with the obvious effect. Also some prescription drugs can result in weight gain.

I go to fitness classes designed for older people, and although we do our best, few could compete physically with younger people. My mother and my aunts led a very different life to me, they didn't drive, they ate far more fat, and they were a good few inches shorter. They all put on weight as they aged, just as I have. Genetics and metabolism play a small part, it's obvious as some can eat for England and not gain an ounce, so others have to almost starve to lose one.

Age is no excuse.

No, you're right, it isn't an excuse, it is just a correlational factor related to other factors that mean it does have an influence for some.

Age is a factor, but not an excuse, the pigeon chest I had as a teenager 32inch has expanded to 46inch that's something I can't physically undo, waistline however has been up and down 30-36in. Currently 34in but that's mostly down to thigh muscle a 32in pair of jeans can be very tight or impossible over the thigh depending on the cut.

Weighed 10st 10lb as a teen, 30yrs on 12st 4lb

Well unless your 6.3 or taller your currently obese. So not really a -touch-. Overweight.
I may be obese in UK, but I don't live there. I'm a lot lighter than some others here.The whole country is overweight including many pro athletes in Baseball and American football. I had to get to 85 to hit this level, because I don't get the exercise I used to when cycling, swimming, and coaching soccer, but I'm comfortable and bothering nobody. So leave it at that.:)