Mrs May, Hero of the Brexiters.

So brexit means brexit does it well lets see. I don't belive we will come out of the single market, consequently this means free movement of labour. So we will be excluded from the ECHR, we will lose our entitlement to 4 weeks holiday, all European consumer protection and we will now have to pay to be in the single market. Yes we are coming out, but there will be just as much immigration.

This is something that has been puzzling me. The statistics I have seen claim around 50% of immigrants currently moving to the UK are from outside the EU. This could have been reduced already regardless of the EU, but has not been done in any significant way (I believe there has been some reduction from what I have read, but not much). Yet now immigration is apparently a red line, but only for ones from the EU - I still have not heard any noise recently about stopping non-EU migration.

It might be some people think most EU immigration is unskilled, and non-EU is skilled and therefore conclude we need to only clamp down on non-EU immigration (however of the efforts I know of to reduce non-EU immigration in recent years I have only seen articles about stopping university students coming to Russel Group Unis - these are often people who become high skilled and often to do return home, giving high skilled workers here valuable contacts abroad for business or academic research).

I can't even think of that. Some political movements (oddly all on the far right) might want a referendum, but that does not mean that 8 EU countries do.

Bit of a logic failure there. In the Netherlands a recent poll showed less than 35% want a referendum and of them 10% would vote to remain anyway.

The only ones I can think of are in no particular order are Italy, Holland if that new person gets voted in whose name escapes me, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary and possibly if the Far right get in France them also...

Any advance on 6?

Odd that because I've just driven across the EU on holiday. From the UK to Bulgaria and back - 14 countries, 32 border crossings and seen a vast panolopy of different languages, cultures, foods, customs....

Self determination and distinctiveness is alive and well. You'd realise that if you actually ventured out of your insular little shell of "EU bad, 2 legs is good" etc...

thought you had moved to germany :loopy:

thought you had moved to germany :loopy:

I see you are still as charming as ever :)

I see you are still as charming as ever :)

well care to put me right have you moved or not :roll:

The only ones I can think of are in no particular order are Italy, Holland if that new person gets voted in whose name escapes me, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary and possibly if the Far right get in France them also...

Any advance on 6?

Well, those 6 aren't actually countries that WANT an exit, they just have parties that represent that point of view. As far as I am aware none of those countries have a binary political system like we do here, so they all need a majority before they could even trigger one.

In other words, it is pretty much not going to happen unless landslide electoral shifts take place.

---------- Post added 04-09-2016 at 08:57 ----------

This is something that has been puzzling me. The statistics I have seen claim around 50% of immigrants currently moving to the UK are from outside the EU. This could have been reduced already regardless of the EU, but has not been done in any significant way (I believe there has been some reduction from what I have read, but not much). Yet now immigration is apparently a red line, but only for ones from the EU - I still have not heard any noise recently about stopping non-EU migration.

It might be some people think most EU immigration is unskilled, and non-EU is skilled and therefore conclude we need to only clamp down on non-EU immigration (however of the efforts I know of to reduce non-EU immigration in recent years I have only seen articles about stopping university students coming to Russel Group Unis - these are often people who become high skilled and often to do return home, giving high skilled workers here valuable contacts abroad for business or academic research).

This is indeed the key-indicator that the government does not want to lower immigration. It just talks about it to keep the focus of their other agendas. Something woefully misunderstood by the Brexit voters, who wanted 'change'.

Also - May has opened the G20 by stating she still expects the UK to hurt economically. Not sure it made it into the main-stream media here.

Well, those 6 aren't actually countries that WANT an exit, they just have parties that represent that point of view. As far as I am aware none of those countries have a binary political system like we do here, so they all need a majority before they could even trigger one.

In other words, it is pretty much not going to happen unless landslide electoral shifts take place.

---------- Post added 04-09-2016 at 08:57 ----------

This is indeed the key-indicator that the government does not want to lower immigration. It just talks about it to keep the focus of their other agendas. Something woefully misunderstood by the Brexit voters, who wanted 'change'.

Also - May has opened the G20 by stating she still expects the UK to hurt economically. Not sure it made it into the main-stream media here.

It's the headline news on the BBC, so it has made the news here yes.

[/b]

It's the headline news on the BBC, so it has made the news here yes.

Ah right, didn't check yet, I came across it during my nightly iPad browse-session :)

well care to put me right have you moved or not :roll:

Why when it's so much more fun winding you up about it?

Why when it's so much more fun winding you up about it?

i take it that your still here and you tell porkies :roll::hihi::hihi::hihi:

You can take what you like. I've really very little interest in the sad little thoughts about where someone is or isnt and what they are or not doing in their private life.

You can take what you like. I've really very little interest in the sad little thoughts about where someone is or isnt and what they are or not doing in their private life.

just admit you tell porkies and we can move on :hihi: