Coffee Bars In Sheffield In The 1950 And 60s

What was the one on Division St called that was around the corner from but on the same side of the street as the Army and Navy Store? Upstairs was like a normal coffee bar. Downstairs, there were two rooms. You took your life in you hands. Rough crowd gathered there.
..........was it near the "Rickshaw' chinese?

I was around from 1960 I had a c15 and Alan Fowler had a 250 Enfield and we all used to meet at Coronation park at Oughtibridge then i swapped the c15 for a black and white Tiger 100a then the Bonny.those were the early days for me.

---------- Post added 05-09-2016 at 07:34 ----------

I worked at Waldot Service Stn and quite a few folks knew me round there,do you remember Jack Dysons motorbike shop opposite the Smugglers and Joe Quinces at Oughtibridge

Yep I used to often wander round Dysons yard on Sundays,he also had a shop a few doors from the Smugglers,his brother was supposed to run it for him.There was a Cotton in the window,he didn't keep this shop for long.Joe Quince used to like his Vincents,I think he died in 60/61.We used to go up to a coffee bar in Stocksbridge,it was on the main road at the side of the Friendship Pub,that is bang opposite the road which leads to the Co-Op.I think they called it the Rainbow.Did you ever know or go with Maureen Howerd,everybody else in the gang seemed to have been out with her?She lived pretty near you,just up from Wadsley Lane on Dykes Hall.

sorry i never had the pleasure of meeting her I was courting in those days,dunt that sound old fashioned now.Joe would let you climb all over the bikes some days but if he had been to the pub on Sunday he would chase you out of the place,he also had the motorbike spares shop at the bottom of Greaves St.We never went up to the Rainbow at Stocky it was either Disc Jockey ,Flamingo or Coronation for us.

..........was it near the "Rickshaw' chinese?

Sorry, after all this time I'm getting my street names mixed up. The coffee bar I'm think of probably Norfolk Street, running parallel to the Moor.

---------- Post added 06-09-2016 at 20:37 ----------

Hang on. Isn't Union St an extension of Norfolk St? Then, it was the El Mambo. What a dive!

Sorry, after all this time I'm getting my street names mixed up. The coffee bar I'm think of probably Norfolk Street, running parallel to the Moor.

---------- Post added 06-09-2016 at 20:37 ----------

Hang on. Isn't Union St an extension of Norfolk St? Then, it was the El Mambo. What a dive!

Yes, Union Street is/was a continuation of Norfolk Street from Charles Street. I think the 'El Mambo' was on the Union Street side near a cinema (The Palace ?) and I think a 'Ford' car dealers nearby. The Empire Theatre was across the street, and as for the said café, does anyone recall who ran it ?

Edited by stpetre

sorry i never had the pleasure of meeting her I was courting in those days,dunt that sound old fashioned now.Joe would let you climb all over the bikes some days but if he had been to the pub on Sunday he would chase you out of the place,he also had the motorbike spares shop at the bottom of Greaves St.We never went up to the Rainbow at Stocky it was either Disc Jockey ,Flamingo or Coronation for us.

Yep I remember the shop at the bottom or Greaves St,then there was Ma Claytons a bit further on.The gang I knocked about with went to Stocky every night with only odd visits to the Disc Jockey and Flamingo,so it sounds as though we are about a year apart.A lad called Fred used to come over from the Jockey quite regularly,he had a Dommy.There was also a couple more lads used to come over once a week,their names were Tom and Willis.

The Elmambo had a certain "reputation" which of course to us was it's main attraction. The reality was, that whilst there were a few characters and slightly dodge people, it was basically a place to meet-up have a chat, spend a couple of hours with your friends etc. It was the two cellars to the street level cafe/coffee bar - also called Elmambo. You paid 9d, admission to the downstairs section and were given a ticket which could be exchange for a coffee or soft drink. It was based on a well known London establishment ( the 2ii's ?) and themed and decorated Heaven and Hell - later on a third cellar was added.

The area was not at that time the featureless wasteland that it now is - our Council have always been far to quick to demolish the past. The Elmambo lay between the stage door of the fine Empire theatre and Cambridge Arcade, opposite was the Palace Union Street cinema. At the bottom end was the old Nelson, with it's upstairs bar, Bert 'n Lil, piano 'n drums was the entertainment (if you were old enough or not) At the other end was the Minerva or over the road the Barleycorn and the ancient coaching inn, the Angel. Lots of other places - too many to mention. Can't place the large Newton Chambers showroom - was this at the bottom of Union Street ?

The Elmambo had a certain "reputation" which of course to us was it's main attraction. The reality was, that whilst there were a few characters and slightly dodge people, it was basically a place to meet-up have a chat, spend a couple of hours with your friends etc. It was the two cellars to the street level cafe/coffee bar - also called Elmambo. You paid 9d, admission to the downstairs section and were given a ticket which could be exchange for a coffee or soft drink. It was based on a well known London establishment ( the 2ii's ?) and themed and decorated Heaven and Hell - later on a third cellar was added.

The area was not at that time the featureless wasteland that it now is - our Council have always been far to quick to demolish the past. The Elmambo lay between the stage door of the fine Empire theatre and Cambridge Arcade, opposite was the Palace Union Street cinema. At the bottom end was the old Nelson, with it's upstairs bar, Bert 'n Lil, piano 'n drums was the entertainment (if you were old enough or not) At the other end was the Minerva or over the road the Barleycorn and the ancient coaching inn, the Angel. Lots of other places - too many to mention. Can't place the large Newton Chambers showroom - was this at the bottom of Union Street ?

Most of the Newton Chambers building was in Furnival Street (now Furnival Gate) and it extended around the corner into Union Street. The Palace cinema was subsequently built next to it.

echo.

Ivan Edake.that would be my mate Fred Hunter he went on to have Hunter Transport and a few of the Jockey lads worked for him,Tom Sayles went on to work as a mechanic for Whitbreads were i caught up with him years later.I went to the 82 TT with Fred but he has sadly gone from us now.There wasnt much old Ma Clayton didnt know about motorbikes she has a load of ex army stuff in her shop.

Edited by bullerboY

Yes, Union Street is/was a continuation of Norfolk Street from Charles Street. I think the 'El Mambo' was on the Union Street side near a cinema (The Palace ?) and I think a 'Ford' car dealers nearby. The Empire Theatre was across the street, and as for the said café, does anyone recall who ran it ?

The El Mambo was one of my favourite hangouts and had great music and atmosphere. It was in fact on the same side as the Empire and opposite to the Palace cinema and the police box . At the side was the arcade leading up to Pinstone St which housed Barney Goodmans. I believe two brothers owned the El Mambo. My wife said "nice girls don't go there" but its reputation was exaggerated.

The El Mambo was one of my favourite hangouts and had great music and atmosphere. It was in fact on the same side as the Empire and opposite to the Palace cinema and the police box . At the side was the arcade leading up to Pinstone St which housed Barney Goodmans. I believe two brothers owned the El Mambo. My wife said "nice girls don't go there" but its reputation was exaggerated.

Not sure about that bill haley (great name btw!). Remember once seeing a thug stroll in there, reach across a table and punch a bloke in the face.