Charity collection boxes stolen

:(:(:(:(

Cavendish Cancer Care collection boxes targeted around Sheffield.

A number of collection boxes containing donations for Cavendish Cancer Care have been stolen from various locations around Sheffield.

The two most recent thefts took place at Dore Dental Care on Causeway Head Road and Scott’s Pantry on Glossop Road.

Victoria Wood from the fundraising team at Cavendish Cancer Care said: “We are only a small charity and we really do rely on the generosity of members of the public to be able to continue providing our invaluable services to people affected by cancer. We urge anyone with any information to come forward.”

If you have any information regarding these collection box thefts from the past few months you can ring the police non-emergency number on 101.

To donate £5 to Cavendish Cancer Care, text CAVC25 £5 to 70070.

total disgrace ,they need catching and put before the courts.

one belonging to the British Heart Foundation was stolen yesterday from Beres

These people need to be caught and named and shamed . A friend of mine works in a charity shop and the shop lifting that goes on is unbelievable :(

Thanks everybody. Such a shame that we can't trust people not to steal from charity.

The children's shoe shop on Nile Street in Broomhill also had theirs stolen.

Some despicable people around.

Victoria, I'd be genuinely interested to know how much charities recoup from collection boxes and whether the take is up, down or the same in a day and age when it is so easy to donate securely by text or online?

Collection boxes always have been, and always will be, an easy target for thieves and I wonder whether their days should be numbered in favour of encouraging people to donate by another means.

totally agree astraeus

Were the boxes not secured in any way ?

Online donation is far safer and more guaranteed to get to where the donors want the money to go.

Victoria, I'd be genuinely interested to know how much charities recoup from collection boxes and whether the take is up, down or the same in a day and age when it is so easy to donate securely by text or online?

Collection boxes always have been, and always will be, an easy target for thieves and I wonder whether their days should be numbered in favour of encouraging people to donate by another means.

totally agree astraeus

Were the boxes not secured in any way ?

Online donation is far safer and more guaranteed to get to where the donors want the money to go.

I have a donation box for the sick childrens trust in my shop, it is chained to my counter and everyday quite a few customers put their bits of change into it as it is there in front of them.

I understand that online donations carry less risk but charity boxes are an impulse buy type of thing, customers see the box next to the till so decide to donate.

How many of the customers would get their change and decide oh I will make an online donation with it?

Charity boxes do have benefits IMO..

I have a donation box for the sick childrens trust in my shop, it is chained to my counter and everyday quite a few customers put their bits of change into it as it is there in front of them.

I understand that online donations carry less risk but charity boxes are an impulse buy type of thing, customers see the box next to the till so decide to donate.

How many of the customers would get their change and decide oh I will make an online donation with it?

Charity boxes do have benefits IMO..

Totally concur with this. Also, there are many people who still do not use the internet or who would still not dream of conducting any financial transaction using it.

I do think though, if charities are prepared to collect in this way, then they must work with the premises owner to ensure that the collection box is secure as a duty to the recipients and donors.