The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

Have they?

Party insiders said that the total membership now stands at 552,000, up from 517,000 when last recorded.The rise in numbers came after Corbyn gained 30 extra seats in the election on June 8, denying Theresa May her Commons majority.

The party expects its peak of 554,000 – reached last July – to be overtaken within days.

Labour is now the largest political party in Western Europe, having more than doubled its 200,000 membership since Corbyn became leader in 2015.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-party-membership-soars-by-33000-in-four-days-since-general-election_uk_59400feee4b0e84514ee930f

....and yet they still failed to come even close of beating the number of seats won by the Tories and even further away from securing a majority government.

Seems to me that party membership numbers and real world voter performance are miles apart and meaningless.

Always find it amusing when media organisations try to pursue that angle.

....and yet they still failed to come even close of beating the number of seats won by the Tories and even further away from securing a majority government.

Seems to me that party membership numbers and real world voter performance are miles apart and meaningless.

Always find it amusing when media organisations try to pursue that angle.

and this point i am not argueing,

But one thing that i do find odd when people are talking about labours membership, and they quote that labour had X amount of members and now they only have Y amount of members, people like to assume that the increase in membership was because of Corbyn, and that any decrease in membership was also because of Corbyn...they seem to ignore the fact that the media were begging people to pay £3 to get rid of Corbyn, so we must assume that a lot/some of the £3 voters were anti Corbyn

Ah, such a caring party:

Momentum win control of Labour branch and demand MP 'apologises' for criticising Jeremy Corbyn

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/06/momentum-win-control-labour-branch-demand-mp-apologises-criticising/

I predict a return to in-fighting again, especially with out of control Momentum nutters. They're like the people Cameron talked about in UKIP.

A Momentum group in South Tyneside posted a list on its Facebook group of 49 MPs, including Chuka Ummuna and Chris Leslie, that they said should leave Labour to “join the Liberals”. The post was taken down and disavowed by the national movement, which is working to dispel the idea that it wants to see MPs deselected.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/06/labour-mps-critical-of-corbyn-fear-deselection-after-get-on-board-warning

Labour is its own worst enemy, for a number of reasons.

The best thing they could do is split and the two halves can focus on their strengths.

If they have any sense they would split amicably and form an alliance.

If they're properly sensible they would form a party that attracts the more sensible members of the Conservative party as well.

Unfortunately tribalism outranks good sense by a wide margin.

A month on and some Tories are still in denial that May suffered a severe humiliation.

A large membership means you have more people to get you message across. Which is what Labour did much more successfully than the Tories did. It wasn't Labour that gambled and lost a majority and 15 point lead.

---------- Post added 07-07-2017 at 15:42 ----------

Momentum win control of Labour branch and demand MP 'apologises' for criticising Jeremy Corbyn

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/06/momentum-win-control-labour-branch-demand-mp-apologises-criticising/

Hardly surprising. They'll be demanding oaths of allegiance next.

---------- Post added 07-07-2017 at 15:45 ----------

I'm trying to see any point in that. Let's divorce and get married again. Jeremy and Diane could be the Richard Burton and Liz Taylor of British politics.

If they're properly sensible they would form a party that attracts the more sensible members of the Conservative party as well.

I don't think another half dozen or so members would make much difference.

Edited by LeMaquis

I'm trying to see any point in that. Let's divorce and get married again.

Closer to "let's divorce then have an affair", which I'm told happens quite a lot.

I don't think another half dozen or so members would make much difference.

No? Tell it to the DUP.

and this point i am not argueing,

But one thing that i do find odd when people are talking about labours membership, and they quote that labour had X amount of members and now they only have Y amount of members, people like to assume that the increase in membership was because of Corbyn, and that any decrease in membership was also because of Corbyn...they seem to ignore the fact that the media were begging people to pay £3 to get rid of Corbyn, so we must assume that a lot/some of the £3 voters were anti Corbyn

Yep I know of people who paid £3 just to vote against him. I also know one person who paid so they could vote for him, but only because they thought he would lead to the final destruction of the labour party of which they are not a fan.

Yep I know of people who paid £3 just to vote against him. I also know one person who paid so they could vote for him, but only because they thought he would lead to the final destruction of the labour party of which they are not a fan.

I hope the people you know don't gamble because it seems they haven't a clue.

Well we all make mistakes, and thank him for the £3 when you see him, every bit helps :hihi:

---------- Post added 07-07-2017 at 18:33 ----------

Labour is its own worst enemy, for a number of reasons.

The best thing they could do is split and the two halves can focus on their strengths.

Unfortunately tribalism outranks good sense by a wide margin.

Er... yes. There was a split around 1982 involving several senior Labour Party MPs and quite a lot of the membership. They called it the SDP, which soon imploded and they joined another sad bunch called the Liberals. Almost 40 years later they have a grand total of about 10 MPs.

I'd be very happy if Chukka Umuna, Chris Leslie, Liz Kendall, Angela Eagle etc went to join them and drag "plain speaking woman of the people" Jess Phillips with them

Well we all make mistakes, and thank him for the £3 when you see him, every bit helps :hihi:

---------- Post added 07-07-2017 at 18:33 ----------

Er... yes. There was a split around 1982 involving several senior Labour Party MPs and quite a lot of the membership. They called it the SDP, which soon imploded and they joined another sad bunch called the Liberals. Almost 40 years later they have a grand total of about 10 MPs.

I'd be very happy if Chukka Umuna, Chris Leslie, Liz Kendall, Angela Eagle etc went to join them and drag "plain speaking woman of the people" Jess Phillips with them

Hear, Hear!

A month on and some Tories are still in denial that May suffered a severe humiliation.

A large membership means you have more people to get you message across. Which is what Labour did much more successfully than the Tories did. It wasn't Labour that gambled and lost a majority and 15 point lead.

I would agree to a point. But they still failed.

I dont think this is necessarilly about denial. Yes TM took a gamble and got battered. Yes TM lost a majority. Yes TM is very likley to be for the chop after Brexit.

But nobody can ignore the numbers here. No matter how "successful" at getting the message across it wasnt enough.

This was despite going up against a PM who is supposedly detested by the masses.... In an age when her party has allegedly destroyed the social sector and NHS with their cuts.... Her party whose former leader was the instigator of the mayhem of brexit....... and despite having party membership numbers just under 5 times that of the Tories, Corbyn still fell short and by a long way.

The numbers are clear. The tories were 8 seats short of a majority. Labour was 64 short of a majority.

To get an uncompromised path into No10 Corbyn would either have to increase his seat wins by 64 at whenever the next general election will be or try to form an alliance just like TM has done.

That of course is even more difficult as TM only had to negotiate with one party and 10 members. For Corbyn he would have to try and appease at least 4 different parties and 64 members.

That is not an easy task and despite what the left wing media print or his deluded followers think, it ain't going to happen tomorrow.

PM in waiting? Weeks away from becoming PM? Really??

Why cant we all pull our heads out the sand (me included) and just state the truth. They both failed. They are both marmite politicians and too devisive every single time they are polled.

IMO they both need to go post bexit and pre 2021 if this island has any chance of restoring sanity.

Edited by ECCOnoob