The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

2,227 votes away from forming a rainbow coalition of every man and his dog. In reality one which would have struggled to command any sort of authority and would be in a weaker position than the Tories are now.

The reality is that Corbyn, despite a poor Tory campaign, suffered a hefty defeat. The only reason it's being claimed as any sort of success is that expectations were set so low. It is laughable that the Labour Party were claiming to be ready to form a government after the election with no mandate.

For a leftie I think we are possibly in a good position right now. The chances of the DUP arrangement even being voted through by parliament let alone standing steady for 5 years is fanciful. Corbyn equally would get his rainbow alliance voted down too I suspect, so then we'd have another election and the voters would absolutely punish May and the Tories. Current polls predict if we had a General Election today would see a Labour MAJORITY.

Bring. It. On.

]Yes, I know. It wasn't perfect by any means. But are things really that much better now? The problems are different but there are more of them.

[/b]

To use your analogy, women have certainly gained more rights, but have they more choices or just different ones? They've won the right to pursue careers, but lost the right to stay at home with their children if they want to, because they simply can't afford it. Just an example.

Things will always move on, things will come and go. but have we lost more than we've gained?

Yes things are better. There may well be more problems in life now, some of these are self inflicted due to our love of living on credit, but we don't all have all of the problems to consider. The majority or many (admittedly I'm guessing here) will have a few headaches that never seem to go away but in general living is relatively easy.

We're very good at making and creating problems for ourselves.

Let's have another election, we're just starting to get good at them.

You'd have to feel sorry for anyone having to get into bed with Arlene Foster.

I'd rather have her than fishy Sturgeon.

Yes things are better. There may well be more problems in life now, some of these are self inflicted due to our love of living on credit, but we don't all have all of the problems to consider. The majority or many (admittedly I'm guessing here) will have a few headaches that never seem to go away but in general living is relatively easy.

We're very good at making and creating problems for ourselves.

I agree that general living is relatively easy (actually I could argue the toss but won't here,) but I do think we've gone backwards in terms of security both in private and public life.

Most people wouldn't realise it, but if you're at the bottom end of society or in need in any way (eg disabled, medically dependent or elderly) then your life can be one of constant worry.

I agree that general living is relatively easy (actually I could argue the toss but won't here,) but I do think we've gone backwards in terms of security both in private and public life.

Most people wouldn't realise it, but if you're at the bottom end of society or in need in any way (eg disabled, medically dependent or elderly) then your life can be one of constant worry.

There are stresses and worry most of the way up Anna..not necessarily about the same things but they are there never the less

There are stresses and worry most of the way up Anna..not necessarily about the same things but they are there never the less

Yes, I'm sure there are, but is anything as bad as not knowing which doorway you're going to sleep in?

Surely all British political parties will be affected in the near future by the growing number of migrants? At the moment immigrants vote for the established parties - mostly labour. How long will it be before new parties are established by these persons? Will we have a BMP (British Muslim Party) or a NHP (National Hindu Party) for instance?

Surely all British political parties will be affected in the near future by the growing number of migrants? At the moment immigrants vote for the established parties - mostly labour. How long will it be before new parties are established by these persons? Will we have a BMP (British Muslim Party) or a NHP (National Hindu Party) for instance?
You know that (non-Commonwealth, non-Irish) immigrants cannot vote in a General Election, right? see here

If you're so bothered about Muslim and Hindu (Commonwealth) immigrants and their right to vote in GEs, the person you need to speak to is Amber Rudd (Tory), Home Secretary. Before that, and for the previous 6 years, it was Theresa May (Tory). Before that, it was Alan Johnson (Labour). Before that, it was Jacki Smith (Labour). Before that...anyway, see here (you can stop around the 1950s, I don't believe Commonwealth people had a right to vote in the UK before then - but open to correction of course).

They're in charge of who comes in (from the EU to an extent, and fully in charge as regards immigrants from the rest of the world, including Commonwealth).

Did you vote for Brexit, and so for the Leaver's fables of FTAs with Commonwealth countries by any chance?

Edited by L00b

At the moment immigrants vote for the established parties - mostly labour.

by that, I believe you mean not immigrants, but nonwhites. Immigrants who are just UK residents and are not British citizens cannot vote in national parliamentary elections.

one of the stories of the 2017 election we've just had is that Labour recovered from the loss of the BAME vote that so badly damaged them in 2015. All of a sudden, a third of the BAME vote voted Tory in 2015, a big drop for Labour which not even the Tories really expected. Labour only got just above 50% of the BAME vote, in 2015. To put this loss for Labour in some kind of perspective, 80% of the BAME vote voted Labour in 1997. So much of the BAME vote going Tory in 2015 was a real surprise, and is in fact one of the big reasons why the Tories won the 2015 election unexpectedly. The good news for Labour in 2017 is that they recovered this and the BAME vote came back in 2017 to about the 2010 level.