Opening a museum

You mean you dont know how women think // They have great ideas mostly stupid ones. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

You have to join in. How do I get footfall?// advertise. school visits free . Place to open a rolling

pin museum / hoyland common/ wombwell now you got me there PASS

What the HELL is this?????

Yes, from memory but the pencil museum is based on the history of graphite mining in the Lakes.

Did Lady Di spend her formative years at Wadsley Bridge?

:huh:

Hmmm... that's a very good point actually!

I wonder if Wombwell can claim to be the home of the very first rolling pin mine? :suspect:

Another woman thinks its a brilliant idea. 'What about a teaspoon museum :hihi:. Keep em coming :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Edited by mort
broken tags

Another woman thinks its a brilliant idea. 'What about a teaspoon museum :hihi:. Keep em coming :hihi::hihi::hihi:

What you been sniffing?? Share it...

Edited by mort
broken tags

Off to Devon next week.

Hope to spend a couple of days looking around barometer world museum.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g551651-d566497-Reviews-Barometer_World-Okehampton_Dartmoor_National_Park_Devon_England.html

Hopefully I can pick a few brains.

Advice on advertising to attract schools and families. Can anyone in here advise?

I have a few slogans for leaflets etc

Roll up to rolling pins rock

Have a mashing time.

You can't beat whisk world.

Wooden spoon annex you'll regret not having visited s(p)ooner.

But how to get messages like these to my target domains.

I have read lots about social media but facebook doesn't allow advertising.

Just also to say the pencil museum is bloody brilliant. When I went with my kids to the lakes we visited 4 times in 10 days!

What you been sniffing?? Share it...

Common sence not many women got it :hihi::hihi

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Off to Devon next week.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g551651-d566497-Reviews-Barometer_World-Okehampton_Dartmoor_National_Park_Devon_England.html

Advice on advertising to attract schools and families. Can anyone in here advise?

Have a mashing time.

Just also to say the pencil museum is bloody brilliant. When I went with my kids to the lakes we visited 4 times in 10 days!

:)

It's good to see that you appear to be doing all the necessary research into what is required to turn a brilliant idea into a successful business, and you've obviously realised that before you set up on your own you're going to need some first-hand experience of how a similar business operates.

Running any business can be a lot of pressure with many highs and lows, and spending some time at the barometer world museum sounds like just the place to get some insider knowledge and experience on how to deal with that pressure.

As you know, there is a lot of discrimination against rolling pins these days, as being very low tech, they are often looked down on as an oldy-worldy implement with no place in a modern fully-fitted kitchen.

The best they can hope for is a place at the back of a kitchen drawer, beside the manual tin opener and potato peeler.

Have you given any thought about how you could maybe update their image and bring them into the 21st century?

Maybe someone on here might be able to help with getting a few 3D printed for you to sell as mementos in your museum gift shop? :thumbsup:

But my passion is rolling pins, with the wooden spoon annexe and a potato masher station.

The constructive advice from all is helpful.

I value it immensely.

I have got to praise the OP for his courage in suggesting something like a Rolling Pin Museum. Really interesting idea, but it has to be researched diligently; the proposal to include wooden spoons and other utensils like potato mashers would be a positive direction, as rolling-pins alone wouldn't be enough to inspire visitors. For example, at the very least, you would have to include examples of rolling-boards as well, which you roll the pastry on; you might have to end up with a museum of Baking technology or something similar.

I had looked at a similar idea some years back for a Clothes Peg Museum, as there is an incredible variety of clothes pegs through the ages and they can be objects of beauty or nostalgia or amusement, but there too, should one include examples of clothes-lines, laundry-baskets, etc. which are all part of the equipment of 'hanging the washing out'? Ideas such as this just need a LOT of work in planning; I know there are a lot of arcane museums for specific objects, such as a Bagpipe Museum in Newcastle, the Hat Museum in Stockport, and Museums for objects and pursuits as diverse as Pencils, Peanuts, Clowning, Football, Cricket, Fishing, etc. It is definitely a case of researching the market well and also amassing a collection of items that you actually like which can form the 'core' of the future collection, although don't expect it to break even, so don't give up the day-job...:love:

Common sence not many women got it :hihi::hihi

Most know how to spell though.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

I have got to praise the OP for his courage in suggesting something like a Rolling Pin Museum. Really interesting idea, but it has to be researched diligently; the proposal to include wooden spoons and other utensils like potato mashers would be a positive direction, as rolling-pins alone wouldn't be enough to inspire visitors. For example, at the very least, you would have to include examples of rolling-boards as well, which you roll the pastry on; you might have to end up with a museum of Baking technology or something similar.

I had looked at a similar idea some years back for a Clothes Peg Museum, as there is an incredible variety of clothes pegs through the ages and they can be objects of beauty or nostalgia or amusement, but there too, should one include examples of clothes-lines, laundry-baskets, etc. which are all part of the equipment of 'hanging the washing out'? Ideas such as this just need a LOT of work in planning; I know there are a lot of arcane museums for specific objects, such as a Bagpipe Museum in Newcastle, the Hat Museum in Stockport, and Museums for objects and pursuits as diverse as Pencils, Peanuts, Clowning, Football, Cricket, Fishing, etc. It is definitely a case of researching the market well and also amassing a collection of items that you actually like which can form the 'core' of the future collection, although don't expect it to break even, so don't give up the day-job...:love:

Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I could roll out to other utensil etc if you pardon the pun. For now I do want to focus on four main areas I have identified as high interest. I don't want the identity to become too diluted. But I have to admit to a late night looking through my kitchen drawers and giving thought to how I could make utensils stand up and out on display. What annotations I would include etc. so again thank you

---------- Post added 02-09-2016 at 10:56 ----------

Off to Devon next week.

Have a mashing time.

This is the bit I really want advice on. Getting word out there to relevant audience. Given the interest in the thread I think it shows there is interest even from adults, whether they are interested or just curious as to what the museum would be like. I think many people would be happy to spend £49.75 for a family ticket either way. Wombwelll and hoyland common are just off the motorway so I could get some brown signs put on the m1. And as already mentioned the golf course will bring in a fair few I expect.

Edited by Gmeow

I think many people would be happy to spend £49.75 for a family ticket either way.

:o

Wow... and to think that some people on here thought that this was a half-baked idea!

At those prices you'll soon be rolling in dough! ;)