Commuting to Leeds from Barnsley on train

Take the train

---------- Post added 30-08-2016 at 08:59 ----------

Junction 37, is that Hague ?

Barnsley/Dodworth

Barnsley/Dodworth

I know it's the wrong direction but you could drive to Meadowhall, park for free and get the train from there.

I appreciate that LeMaquis, but he could change to the faster train in Wakey, the O/P also indicated he likes to read. I personally wouldn't take a slow train to Leeds. I think getting in and out of Darton would be easier than Barns or Wakey

The Darton trains go into Wakefield Kirkgate. Westgate probably has more fast trains to Leeds than Kirkgate does. He'd either have to walk to Westgate which is about 15 minutes away by foot or wait at Kirkgate for a fast Leeds train. It would be a question of checking timetables to see how long he'd have to wait at Kirkgate for. There might be one a couple of minutes behind or it might be half an hour.

He'd also have the same problem coming home. He could get a fast train to Wakefield but then might wait a while for a Darton train.

I still think Barnsley or Wakefield is the better bet to avoid having to change and potentially wait longer.

Thank you for all your responses. Exploring the driving option (assuming the traffic isn't horrendous), is there anywhere to park in Leeds for around £5 a day within a sensible walking distance of the centre?

---------- Post added 30-08-2016 at 13:50 ----------

Thank you for all your responses. Exploring the driving option (assuming the traffic isn't horrendous), is there anywhere to park in Leeds for around £5 a day within a sensible walking distance of the centre?

Found one, Multi-storey on Woodhouse Lane, £6.50 for 12 hours, not bad for how centrally located it is.

What about Chapeltown or even Wombwell ? You then get the option of two stopping trains an hour. One goes direct to Leeds (you can stay on that, or change to the following fast train at Barnsley, you then save about 5 to 10 minutes) the other goes to Huddersfield, so you get off that and catch the following fast train. Having twice as many trains makes it less of a problem if one fails to turn up or is full or whatever.

What about Chapeltown or even Wombwell ? You then get the option of two stopping trains an hour. One goes direct to Leeds (you can stay on that, or change to the following fast train at Barnsley, you then save about 5 to 10 minutes) the other goes to Huddersfield, so you get off that and catch the following fast train. Having twice as many trains makes it less of a problem if one fails to turn up or is full or whatever.

Thanks for the reply, rather than doing that I would probably just get the train from Penistone and swap at either Barnsley or Huddersfield.

Thanks for the reply, rather than doing that I would probably just get the train from Penistone and swap at either Barnsley or Huddersfield.

No that`s a good idea, the only problem being there`s only one train an hour. But, as you have cleverly realised, if you can get it in either direction that effectively doubles its frequency !