Commuting to Leeds from Barnsley on train

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before, I've had a search but can't find anything relevant.

I live in Millhouse Green (near Penistone) and I'm looking at jobs in Leeds. Don't fancy getting the train from Penistone to Leeds and swapping at Huddersfield as I have experienced how unreliable the Penistone line is, I would only have a few minutes to swap trains and I've heard that trains from Hudds to Leeds are absolutely jam packed.

I'm thinking of driving to Barnsley station, parking up there and getting a direct train to Leeds. I'm wondering how easy it is to get a parking space at the station i.e. what time would I have to get to the station for to make sure I got a space? Also am I likely to get a seat on the train if I aim to get to Leeds for around 9 and setting off back to Barnsley at about 5:30? Would an earlier service provide better parking/seating chances?

Thanks

David

You can park all day at Barnsley College for £5 I've never had an issue getting a space at a much later time than when you'd need to be there. The station is a 2 minute walk away.

if you are considering driving to barnsley then why not just drive to leeds

That is an option, was just thinking of traffic, parking and stress. I can get to Barnsley station in about 15-20 mins then 40 mins on a train means I can do a bit of reading rather than an hour in the car.

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before, I've had a search but can't find anything relevant.

I live in Millhouse Green (near Penistone) and I'm looking at jobs in Leeds. Don't fancy getting the train from Penistone to Leeds and swapping at Huddersfield as I have experienced how unreliable the Penistone line is, I would only have a few minutes to swap trains and I've heard that trains from Hudds to Leeds are absolutely jam packed.

I'm thinking of driving to Barnsley station, parking up there and getting a direct train to Leeds. I'm wondering how easy it is to get a parking space at the station i.e. what time would I have to get to the station for to make sure I got a space? Also am I likely to get a seat on the train if I aim to get to Leeds for around 9 and setting off back to Barnsley at about 5:30? Would an earlier service provide better parking/seating chances?

Thanks

David

Couldn't you drive to Darton, park, and catch the train from there. Cheaper and les hassle. Catch a train to Wakey from Darton and change for Leeds

Couldn't you drive to Darton, park, and catch the train from there. Cheaper and les hassle. Catch a train to Wakey from Darton and change for Leeds

Cheers, will have a look into that.

I'd drive to Barnsley or Wakefield. There's only one train an hour from Darton and they're slow ones. There are one or two fast trains an hour from Barnsley and a lot more from Wakefield although they go from different stations.

I'd drive to Barnsley or Wakefield. There's only one train an hour from Darton and they're slow ones. There are one or two fast trains an hour from Barnsley and a lot more from Wakefield although they go from different stations.

I appreciate that LeMaquis, but he could change to the faster train in Wakey, the O/P also indicated he likes to read. I personally wouldn't take a slow train to Leeds. I think getting in and out of Darton would be easier than Barns or Wakey

Leeds is not too bad to drive to in the mornings now the M1 has been expanded between Wakefield and the M62.

Obviously it depends on where you're going in Leeds, because getting there is relatively easy but moving around the city at rush hour is a total ballache.

Leeds is not too bad to drive to in the mornings now the M1 has been expanded between Wakefield and the M62.

Obviously it depends on where you're going in Leeds, because getting there is relatively easy but moving around the city at rush hour is a total ballache.

I'm not convinced ;)

The current job I'm looking at is very central, near the Trinity shopping centre. I'd be joining the M1 at J37.

Take the train

---------- Post added 30-08-2016 at 08:59 ----------

Junction 37, is that Hague ?