Where was the Indian Village?

That's correct we used to imagine that was a plane that was shot down in the war Still have the scars from falling down them hills.Not many kids knew of them did you live in Darnal?

That's correct we used to imagine that was a plane that was shot down in the war Still have the scars from falling down them hills.Not many kids knew of them did you live in Darnal?

No. In fact i had left Sheffield but used to spend much of school holidays in Attercliffe. Stayed with an aunt in Tinsley and an aunt who had a shop on Attercliffe Common (near Mons Street). I was "shared" to keep the peace!

Ranskill Rd and Peacock Row was the Indian Village 1 shop 1 co-op 1 newsagent and of course a workingman's club.It was surrounded by 2 muck hill made up of waste from the pit and 1 we called the red hill. could that be the reason for its name Only 2 road in 1 took you to Tinsley the other to Greenland Rd,or you could walk as the local said over locks

Fond memories of days gone bye

Rannie Lad

just joined the forum and was excited to fined ranskill road featured, my father william walter wistow was living at 40 ranskill road along with his parents herbert and amy and siblings in 1934 is anyone still around who remembers them.

hi Wistow ring a bell with me i think my old mate Dave Curtis mothers maiden name was Wistow will find out if it was If i'm not mistaken they lived with her mother before she died

only recently found the forum. would be interesting if anyone has any old photos from ranskill road. my father lived over there {bill mather} his parents annie and jack and his sister nellie.also remember my aunt and uncle ran the shop louis and frank maskery.

Hi Susan

I have few not a lot of the road mostly family in the back yard There is a soft book out with a picture of Ranskill rd playing fields known local aw or tins The book called My Family and others Morticians and other stories from off the Common by Ann Sapcote a former pupil of Coleridge Rd School hope this helps. Bill Mather who owned the shop was big mates with my father and went horse raceing togher.knew all the Mathers Someone else from the Mather family got in touch with me sometime ago but cannot remember what site could have been with family tree on Friends

Edited by rsol

my dad was bill, the one who owned the shop i think was his uncle. I would like to find out all i can as i want to do a family tree.

Hi Sue

What i do know that a Bill who owned the shop was great friend of our family he also lost a leg in some accident.A while a go a John Mather made contact with me is he your brother?if i can help in any way please get in touch

tried sending a PM but think my connection went down.John contacted me a couple of years ago to let me know of auntie freda's passing,after i wrote her to find out about family connections from tinsley park.I managed to mislay john's letter and address so if you have any contact details i would be truly grateful.I remember the name Eric Tongue but as i sit before the computer my mind's gone blank. old age eh.as to your question is john my brother ....no,but some relation obviously. would love to get in contact with him.The bill you refer to who had the shop was Billy who i think was my dads uncle,but he was not the snooker player.....that was my dad,he was always winning things at snooker. I remember loads of big trophys{my job to clean them all}and a china cabinet stuffed with things he had won{no money in the game in those days}

tried sending a PM but think my connection went down.John contacted me a couple of years ago to let me know of auntie freda's passing,after i wrote her to find out about family connections from tinsley park.I managed to mislay john's letter and address so if you have any contact details i would be truly grateful.I remember the name Eric Tongue but as i sit before the computer my mind's gone blank. old age eh.as to your question is john my brother ....no,but some relation obviously. would love to get in contact with him.The bill you refer to who had the shop was Billy who i think was my dads uncle,but he was not the snooker player.....that was my dad,he was always winning things at snooker. I remember loads of big trophys{my job to clean them all}and a china cabinet stuffed with things he had won{no money in the game in those days}

Hi Sue As soon as l saw Bil Mathers name, l thought l wonder if it's the same, and it is! l came across him several times in the snooker world during the latter part of the war, and thought he was a very nice fellow. Cheers Arfer Mo

Hi Sue did you ever get in touch with John his mother was Billy niece who worked in the shop

still not found the letter with john's address. Would love to get in contact.Names i remember from o'er locks as we used to say are my dad's parents Jack & Annie Mather,his sister Nellie Mather,auntie Freda (Mather). Frank & Louis Maskery. will have a think over the week end to try and list other names.