Why does football training remain so bad?

Here's a question for everyone to try and give me an answer to. This is in no way meant to be a dig at anyone. Just an observation from my many years of amatuer football. Why does it seem everytime i go to train with a team we do pointless exercises like shuttles between cones and many variations in this kind of thing? I get the idea is that it is to improve fitness but doing it once a week i doubt you will see any improvement come sunday morning if the players spent rest of week doing nothing else on there own time. I just recently started playing futsal and it opened my eyes. We always do a little game like tag as a warm up then every exercise is with the ball and i love it. It makes training a joy to go to and too be honest you always come of the court drenched in sweat because you work hard without even realising. Maybe primitive training methods could explain the decline in the amatuer game. Is there any teams out there that do specifically concentrate on ball work? Because that hour in the week is where you get the chance to work on shape and how you set up and if you get a consistent turn out of players that enjoy it the better it would be. What does everyone think?

This guy gets it!

Take note, unimaginative dinosaurs.

The answer is get a grip and enjoy what most kids and adults do train and play footie and enjoy life :-)

Here's a question for everyone to try and give me an answer to. This is in no way meant to be a dig at anyone. Just an observation from my many years of amatuer football. Why does it seem everytime i go to train with a team we do pointless exercises like shuttles between cones and many variations in this kind of thing? I get the idea is that it is to improve fitness but doing it once a week i doubt you will see any improvement come sunday morning if the players spent rest of week doing nothing else on there own time. I just recently started playing futsal and it opened my eyes. We always do a little game like tag as a warm up then every exercise is with the ball and i love it. It makes training a joy to go to and too be honest you always come of the court drenched in sweat because you work hard without even realising. Maybe primitive training methods could explain the decline in the amatuer game. Is there any teams out there that do specifically concentrate on ball work? Because that hour in the week is where you get the chance to work on shape and how you set up and if you get a consistent turn out of players that enjoy it the better it would be. What does everyone think?

Take one of the FA courses then make a difference yourself, others may follow if your changes have a positive impact.

As a junior coach about 18 years ago everything we did with the children included a ball.

Take one of the FA courses then make a difference yourself, others may follow if your changes have a positive impact.

As a junior coach about 18 years ago everything we did with the children included a ball.

A ball would be useful for football training :hihi:

A ball would be useful for football training :hihi:

I guess you have not read the original post then.

Chronic lack of qualified coaches so football relies on volunteers at amateur level and they just replicate what they were shown as kids.

Look at Germany and Spain and you`ll find that, despite being similar sized countries, they have some like 500% more coaches. Also the cost of getting qualified is way more here than there. The Premier league could easily subsidise this but business is business and there`s no immediate gain for them.

Why does it seem everytime i go to train with a team we do pointless exercises like shuttles between cones and many variations in this kind of thing?
You're training with the wrong teams? How old are you?

In my relatively short experience as a coach (U9s and 10s) and going on FA level 1, it's all about training with a ball these days. You can incorporate agility and fitness training into drills but they'll still largely be about having a ball at your feet a lot of the time.

I actually would like to get qualified but right now in my life it's not an option but in the future it is definitely in my plans

---------- Post added 07-09-2016 at 11:13 ----------

Chronic lack of qualified coaches so football relies on volunteers at amateur level and they just replicate what they were shown as kids.

Look at Germany and Spain and you`ll find that, despite being similar sized countries, they have some like 500% more coaches. Also the cost of getting qualified is way more here than there. The Premier league could easily subsidise this but business is business and there`s no immediate gain for them.

I agree fully mate.

---------- Post added 07-09-2016 at 11:15 ----------

You're training with the wrong teams? How old are you?

In my relatively short experience as a coach (U9s and 10s) and going on FA level 1, it's all about training with a ball these days. You can incorporate agility and fitness training into drills but they'll still largely be about having a ball at your feet a lot of the time.

I'm 32 mate. It's just something i've noticed over the years. I'm not just talking junior level. Thing is people write adults off as not being able or willing to learn but that isn't always the case.