Oh Dear.. now I know I'm old

i got a 2 bob rise after a month or so:thumbsup:

When I joined the Royal Navy in Oct. 1949, just short of my 17th birthday my daily rate of pay was 1s6d. However, we only paid 4d for 20, full size Woodbines.

Trying to identify a couple of cars from an old photograph, I type 'vintage cars' into Google..... Oh dear, I remember most of them.

Nothing to feel ashamed, embarrassed at getting old, we all reach that stage eventually.

I'm heading towards pensionable age and neither look it or feel it.

I've owned a:

Austin Cambridge

Ford Corsair

Ford Anglia's

Ford Capri's

They don't make them like they use to - once upon a time, you were able to do just about anything regarding repairs yourself on a vehicle......now they are all computerised and you can't do much.

Someone once said to me ' Age is just a number....you are as old as you feel ' and its true.

My transportation was available occasionally.

I didn't have a driver's license, so I relied on a licensed driver to get me home.

I could get it at the top of the street and it would get me back there, the same day.

There was always room for a for a few friends too, after the pub or the dance.

I had no trouble parking it, and it never ran out of petrol, which was a big deal, given my 7 1/4d an hour in Paradise Square.

A Pond street bus!

I actually used to smoke my Woodbines on the very balcony where John Wesley got everybody in Sheffield. all riled up against somebody or other a century ago!

Again, Paradise Square!

In England you are never far from history!

Edited by trastrick

My transportation was available occasionally.

I didn't have a driver's license, so I relied on a licensed driver to get me home.

I could get it at the top of the street and it would get me back there, the same day.

There was always room for a for a few friends too, after the pub or the dance.

I had no trouble parking it, and it never ran out of petrol, which was a big deal, given my 7 1/4d an hour in Paradise Square.

A Pond street bus!

I actually used to smoke my Woodbines on the very balcony where John Wesley got everybody in Sheffield. all riled up against somebody or other a century ago!

Again, Paradise Square!

In England you are never far from history!

Ah...Paradise Square, home of a few solicitors, rather than Havelock Square home of other solicitors !

Ah...Paradise Square, home of a few solicitors, rather than Havelock Square home of other solicitors !

Ah, the faint chatter of Underwood typewriters, and the bell at the carriage return from the open windows in the Square.

And, only one little alley away from the best milky coffee in the world, and hot buttered toast on a cold morning.

The parking lot in the middle of it all with the Managing Directors Daimler and Mr. Jarvis's (The Major) Austin Of England, gleaming, after the apprentice's wash and polishing.

Almost straight from Dickens!

Ah, the faint chatter of Underwood typewriters, and the bell at the carriage return from the open windows in the Square.

And, only one little alley away from the best milky coffee in the world, and hot buttered toast on a cold morning.

The parking lot in the middle of it all with the Managing Directors Daimler and Mr. Jarvis's (The Major) Austin Of England, gleaming, after the apprentice's wash and polishing.

Almost straight from Dickens!

Dickensian (yes! and thank you) but 'buttered toast on cold morning' is hardly Oliver Twist (bless him) and Mr.Bumble !

Nothing to feel ashamed, embarrassed at getting old, we all reach that stage eventually.

I'm heading towards pensionable age and neither look it or feel it.

I've owned a:

Austin Cambridge

Ford Corsair

Ford Anglia's

Ford Capri's

They don't make them like they use to - once upon a time, you were able to do just about anything regarding repairs yourself on a vehicle......now they are all computerised and you can't do much.

Someone once said to me ' Age is just a number....you are as old as you feel ' and its true.

Haha... no John, I'm not the slightest bit embarrassed or ashamed:) Its just these little things that crop up to remind you. I'm past retirement age by almost a couple of years. As a fellow muso, you'll appreciate that as a drummist of this parish, my first vehicles were vans...A35 and A55...on occasion my dads 12 seater Bedford Kenebrake or his Vauxhall 101 estate. One time, between vehicles, there was me and a girlfriend...bass player and his girlfriend, half my kit and a double bass crammed into a Hillman Minx...now those were the days:hihi:

What handypandy said brings back fond memories.We were in a band and used to get around in an old ford zephyr estate.Problem was there wasn't enough seating in the front for all of us.So the smallest and thinnest of us used to make himself rigid and we would pick him up and feed him into the back with the gear just like a mic stand.Health and Safety today would have a field day.

'17 quid a week' darra, what year was that, not like the pre-historic times of the likes of TorontoTony, myself and others ....and 'contract' ?

1974 Sheffield Smelting company. Gave my mother a weeks wages for my board and still managed to save a bit

---------- Post added 27-08-2016 at 12:48 ----------

recalculated it and it was £16.50 / week about £71 / month. Mind those were the days when it cost 2p on the bus into town and 2bob a pint

All of us "oldies" go on about old cars and say how good they were and " they don't make em like they used to"and say other nice things about them.In reality they were a load of crap,Fords especially. Anglias were real rot boxes.I have lost count of the number of new rear spring hangers I have welded on these things.The front suspension struts used to break through the wings and had to be welded.The engines were "ringy" and breathed heavy,sills rotted in a few months.Other Ford models had similar problems.A30s and A35s also corroded everywhere especially near the handbrake lever,this eventually used to come through the floor and then needed extensive welding.All the B.M.C range of cars had a rapid wearing front suspension setup with wishbones and kingpins which needed constant attention.One exception being the Morris 1000 which used a trunion setup and regularly allowed the front wheel to collapse under the car.Triumph Herald and Spitfires rotted as they were rolled off the production line.Modern cars really are much better but of course home repairs are much more limited due to their complexity.Having said all this I really love these old cars and my favourite has always been the Austin A40 Farina.

All of us "oldies" go on about old cars and say how good they were and " they don't make em like they used to"and say other nice things about them.In reality they were a load of crap,Fords especially. Anglias were real rot boxes.I have lost count of the number of new rear spring hangers I have welded on these things.The front suspension struts used to break through the wings and had to be welded.The engines were "ringy" and breathed heavy,sills rotted in a few months.Other Ford models had similar problems.A30s and A35s also corroded everywhere especially near the handbrake lever,this eventually used to come through the floor and then needed extensive welding.All the B.M.C range of cars had a rapid wearing front suspension setup with wishbones and kingpins which needed constant attention.One exception being the Morris 1000 which used a trunion setup and regularly allowed the front wheel to collapse under the car.Triumph Herald and Spitfires rotted as they were rolled off the production line.Modern cars really are much better but of course home repairs are much more limited due to their complexity.Having said all this I really love these old cars and my favourite has always been the Austin A40 Farina.

I owned a typical turquoise green/black roof mark 1 version of that car in 1963. It was my second vehicle; the first one being a 1953 A40 Somerset.

You're quite right ivan when you say that cars from the past were not as reliable

as today and the quality of the bodywork was often poor, but it was a different era.

Those were the days when the 'extras' you could buy included a heater, a radio, windscreen washers and white wall tyres.

At least you could start them with the handle when the battery was nearly flat on a cold winter's morning and work on them when something went wrong. They also had character with names like Somerset, Devon, Oxford and Cambridge. I'll bet some of the forum's older contributors can add many more interesting place names after which cars were christened.

echo.