Motorbike rides around Sheffield.

That's Dunham Bridge way I do that in the car.

Correct, bikes cross for free though.

To derail the thread a tad but who cares it's a biker's thread...what is the best bike for such a ride? If one wanted to buy a bike that is.

I like Harley's but I've heard they're pigs to ride and not fast.

I love Guzzi's but are they reliable enough?

My choice would be a Bonne. Good enough?

I ride a tourer. Honda NT650V Deauville. Brilliant all rounder and spot on to eat miles up even with 2 up .https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=honda+deauville&espv=2&biw=1093&bih=514&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_wKLJ2NrOAhXpJ8AKHWDIAmkQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=-OALOCCH8UwjEM%3A

Edited by olilew

I ride a tourer. Honda NT650V Deauville. Brilliant all rounder and spot on to eat miles up even with 2 up.

Nice. I don't like Ducatis (the new Scrambler Ducati is mint though) or any of the sport types. It would be a Bonne or Moto Guzzi Bellagio for me, though the Bellagio is only on the Italian website not the Brit...dunno why...?

I'd ride to Matlock Bath. Bikers flock there on bank-holidays. Up the cable car, 99 and a coffee then back home, stopping in a pub on the way :)

Nice. I don't like Ducatis (the new Scrambler Ducati is mint though) or any of the sport types. It would be a Bonne or Moto Guzzi Bellagio for me, though the Bellagio is only on the Italian website not the Brit...dunno why...?

I'd ride to Matlock Bath. Bikers flock there on bank-holidays. Up the cable car, 99 and a coffee then back home, stopping in a pub on the way :)

I was there last night, quite a few bikes there.

I know the local young motorcycle enthusiasts round my way prefer the footpath that runs at the back of tinfoil Towers.

I'm not young but I only passed my test two weeks ago.

I know the local young motorcycle enthusiasts round my way prefer the footpath that runs at the back of tinfoil Towers.

Don a parka and a white Fred Perry, blast out Quadraphenia and take 'em on Tinf! That'll learn 'em!

Seriously though, they are a pest. A habitual offender in my area some years ago only desisted with his behaviour when he met a lamp-post that wouldn't back down.

Snake Pass, Woodhead Pass.

Only downside is you get close to Manchester.

Snake Pass, Woodhead Pass.

Only downside is you get close to Manchester.

The dark side :hihi:

My partner's son's mum lives over there, I've been a few times.

I like driving over the Woodhead, it can look so different from one day to the next. It was beautiful in the snow, and eerie when it was foggy because you drive into the clouds.

---------- Post added 25-08-2016 at 07:28 ----------

To derail the thread a tad but who cares it's a biker's thread...what is the best bike for such a ride? If one wanted to buy a bike that is.

I'd love a Harley, they just sound so nice. I'm gonna aim to get one when I pass my full test (eventually).

Skeggy over the bank holiday for me.Quickest way for me. A57, A1 briefly then A158 straight in. All quite fast roads

An excellent run...did this quite often in the 60's on my Triton/Atlas/Rocket :D....i also use this route..free over Dunham...but find sometimes there is a lot of heavy traffic on the "Lincoln -by-pass A57" especially at the roundabouts and nose to tail traffic heading the opposite way..i never return along this route,go back towards Market Rasen /Gainsboro' always very light traffic..Another good run is at Wragby ( the small roundabout) take the A157 towards Louth instead of the A158 towards Skeg,about 15 very very quiet miles later it joins with the 631 back towards M/Rasen.Have been this way dozens of times and gone miles and miles without seeing any other traffic..i kid you not.. :D

Which way do you go I was thinking via Gainsborough, Market Rasen and that park where bikers stop off.

Yes, go that way,you will find the roads fairly quiet and would be ideal for you as a "new" biker...the park for bikers is at Willingham Woods a mile or so t'other side of M/Rasen

If you want a fast bike then buy a sportsbike, cruisers are NOT really fast bikes, although my VTX 1800C is 0-60 mph around 3.5/7 secs

...buy a Honda V Twin.. reputation for reliability VT 600/750/1300/1800

Have you thought about asking around for local clubs. Try where you learnt to ride also local bike shops. Also owners clubs who have web sites.

If into rallying try NABD.org. (National Association for Bikers With Disabilities) Membership is not limited to disabled bikes, but all monies raised from their rallies etc goes to helping those with disabilities carry on enjoying motorcycling, by giving grants to adapt bikes & trikes. And they put on some cracking rallies, with cheap beer , good music and a comedy club. Enjoy yourself.

Edited by dragoness
Adding info.