Council funds from recycling

Having a debate with someone regards where sheffield city council spends the money it earns from recycling the household blue boxes and bins , ie paper , card , glass , plastic and metal food or drink containers .... the sheffield.gov site doesn't seem to help ...... does anyone have such info or know who and how to contact them plz ..... there are breakdowns of how council tax is spent but that's not what he wants to know ...... just the money from recycling if anyone has the info ta

What money from recycling? Sheffield Council pay Veolia to provide this service.

I thought everything in sheffield went to the incinerator?

SCC get no money from Veolia from its Sheffield waste recycling as all the profit goes to Veolia and its shareholders. The main benefit for SCC is that less gets put in landfill sites but SCC do benefit from the incinerator heat as it is then sold by Veolia to SCC for SCC to then sell it on at a profit.

The EU has some regulations on recycling that I guess we have / had to adhere to:

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/

I don't think recyclables are worth money anymore. Remember when Alcan would give you 1p per can when recycling started? Or, to go back even further, 5p on the glass pop bottles?

Income from recycling is subject to profit share between SCC and Veolia, as is the electricity generated from the Energy Recovery Facility and heat distributed through the District Energy Network. It's part of the overall waste management budget and offsets the gross charge for household waste collection and disposal.

I don't think recyclables are worth money anymore. Remember when Alcan would give you 1p per can when recycling started? Or, to go back even further, 5p on the glass pop bottles?

I think part of the issue is with the push to recycle more there ends up having to have armys of people sorting through mountains of rubbish to put the right stuff into the right recycling process.

So any money made from selling the recycled product is gone paying for people to sort the stuff out initially.

Income from recycling is subject to profit share between SCC and Veolia, as is the electricity generated from the Energy Recovery Facility and heat distributed through the District Energy Network. It's part of the overall waste management budget and offsets the gross charge for household waste collection and disposal.

Can you tell me where you get the above information from because as far as I am aware Veolia take the profit from both and nothing gets returned to offset the waste collection charges. Also as far as I am aware the heat generated from the incinerator is sold on to Sheffield Council and SCC then sell it on to various parties which then generates a profit for SCC.

BTW are you Councillor Lodge cabinet member for the environment?

Edited by apelike

BTW are you Councillor Lodge cabinet member for the environment?

Yes I am and the Waste Management Contract falls within my portfolio.

Yes I am and the Waste Management Contract falls within my portfolio.

Thank for the reply.

Can you tell me when this profit share agreement was started?

Can you tell me when this profit share agreement was started?

It's part of the overall contract so started when Onyx (Veolia's previous name) took on the contract.

how can the recycled profit offset bin collection when it's already funded by our council tax, or is that breakdown just for show??

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android