Hadfields Steel Works

Does anyone remember the huge tank of whale oil in the heavy forge building?

Does anyone recall Arthur Gill who retired from Hadfields around late 70s ? He lived at Brightside.

On 14/08/2019 at 19:43, Blanket said:

Has anyone worked at Hadfields east Hecla works a memory of the poem that was on the ambulance room wall.It was about Percy Bly who got some metal in his eye.

Eyup I remember a bit more .Here is the story of Percy Bly /

Who got some metal in his eye.

His foreman said please go to the Nurse,

But this had no effect on Prec  .       thats all I can remember.Alan.

ps 11 and 14 inch rolling mill !959 to 1964 

On 25/06/2021 at 21:59, Alan Proctor said:

Eyup I remember a bit more .   Here is the story of Percy Bly /

Who got some metal in his eye.

His foreman said please go to the Nurse,

But this had no effect on Prec  .       

That is all I can remember. Alan.

ps I worked in the 11 and 14 inch rolling mill 1959 to 1964  and was known as Tiger in those happy days .

Hadfields was on Vulcan Road

The exit was where the roundabout is at the main road

The main entrance to Hadfields was behind the Sainsbury petrol station towards Meadow hall.

Tiny Rolland bought out Hadfields and Brown Bayleys. As a property developer it is not suprising that Hadfields turned into Meadow hell, Brown Baileys turned into the sports stadium and arena, BB sports ground is the airport.

I do wonder is the council had fingers in this

Every working day 100 buses would park on Vulcan road waiting for the 4 oclock finish, another 100 buses would come back for 5 oclock