Hadfields Steel Works

Hi Ray 

John Cartilage worked on the pits in the melting shop with us married into the Casson family knocked about with Fred Burgin if you remember . 

On 31/07/2019 at 10:20, Saynor m said:

Hi Ray 

John Cartilage worked on the pits in the melting shop with us married into the Casson family knocked about with Fred Burgin if you remember . 

Hi Mick remember name sure he was at Johns funeral John Cartilage knew Fred ,  Glasby, big lad stopper man some characters worked in that shop The grinding of billets was done in the corner of the shop there was another lad work there quiet spoken fetched his kids up can never remember his name  remember Casson and Jack Acaster singing Melter 

Edited by raymondo1952
Spelling

i use 2 go in with my dad as he was a truck driver that loaded in there ......and went through the pickets when it was nothing 2 do with hadfields .....

Hi Ray  Yes think he mentioned being at Johns funeral the big lads on the stoppers big Jim Clarke  & Alex , Henry Casson his son was killed in the melting shop if you remember , some names for you to think about Micky Mason 

Dennis Allen , Jeff Hunt , Lenny Dawson ,Dave is nickname was  Bomber blonde hair lad ,Peter sweeting , Keith Morman , if you like me takes days before the penny drops .

In response to the picket lines you went through with your dad yes that was all political all the time Hatfield workers were told to protest by Mr Tiny Rowlands ( the purchaser )against closer he was planning to sell the land when

he got it for the Meadow Hall complex .

I hope you don’t mind me contributing to this thread, but we are looking to speak to previous workers from Hadfields.  I am a Producer on a prime-time BBC Two social history series called ‘Back in Time for the Corner Shop’. Following the success of previous series’ including Back in Time for Dinner and Back in Time for Tea  - this new programme will see a modern family transported through one hundred years of domestic and working life as they live and work in a corner shop in the heart of a community in Sheffield. 

Guided by presenter Sara Cox and historian Polly Russell, our family will experience what life was like for working families in Yorkshire as they wear the clothes, eat the food and experience the lifestyle of a different decade each week, reflecting on the social and economic changes of the era.

As part of our 1980s programme we would love for the family to meet someone who worked at Hadfield Steel works, perhaps someone from a generation of steel workers – and someone who was unfortunately part of the redundancies in the early 1980’s. We would love to hear from them on the programme about Hadfield, how it had played such an important part of life in the area and the effects of its closure in the 80’s. How were they affected personally and also how did it affect the local area?

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in finding out more, with no pressure to then take part. If so please do contact me at claire.parry@walltowall.co.uk 

Many thanks

Claire 

Anyone remember my uncle, Harold Hartley, was last working there around 1970, he lived in Heeley.

On 16/08/2019 at 09:37, Runningman said:

Anyone remember my uncle, Harold Hartley, was last working there around 1970, he lived in Heeley.

I remember Albert Hartley so will a lot more people 

Hiya mick don't know if you remember me I worked on the pit with you and John at hatfields attercliffe

Anyone remember “Big John” Dickinson circa 1962 Hadfields?

Is anyone still following this thread?

I worked at Hadfields from '64 to '69. I joined from leaving school as a trainee draughtsman, doing a year in the CMT as part of my training.

My name is Alec Richardson I started work at Hadfields in August 1966 as an apprentice fitter. At 15 years old I had to spend most of the first year working as an office boy at the main entrance with the commissionaire, I think his name was Bill, one of my tasks was to set out the board room prior to meetings, iv'e never seen so many boxes of cigarettes in on place. I remember the bell from HMS Sheffield hung in the foyer, it had been cast at Hadfields before seeing magnificent action in the 2nd World War. (now in Sheffield Cathedral). I then joined the other apprentices in the training centre above the garage. The boss's in office were Mr. Sweeney, Mr. Mouncy and their secretary, what a dish! In charge of us were; Stan, Bill and Cyril. The apprentices I can remember were; Mike Hall, Jimmy Mac, Ellon, George, can't quite remember more. I know we were a handful to deal with. I went on to work in the maintenance machine shop, maintenance fitters with the big tall Mr. Bird, then the Forge Fitters. The older men in the Forge Fitters led me astray on nights when they took me to the Pheasant pub for a pint. Could go on! very happy dirty days.