Hadfields Steel Works

Hi Mick Steve been a bit rough and Iam rough on oxegen 24 /7 but got to keep going All them years working in **** at different  companies where health and safety were not a issue 

Hi Ray   I am afraid we are all getting on in life a bit now keep going mate and if we can work it out somehow I will get over to see you both .

Some catch up Ray when I finished on the Hatfield`s shut down I went self employed purchased a little business to keep me going sold that after a while but kept myself self employed industrial painting  then after that took 

a Class 1 H G V which I did for a number of years until I started a small business again about 15 years ago , semi retired now .

Yes your Wright we are all getting on I stopped on at brown Baileys work for mergsound burning Union man Ramage set it up then went to work for London Scandinavia at Rotherham spent 23yr there  did 13yr at Brown Baileys then in between went wrecking on power stations hardly ever out of work now I had to take early retirement 

Well at least you found work did Steve continue to work for them?  or did everybody do there own thing I often think how did everybody get on , I can remember bumping into Ron Hall the melting shop manager he purchased a little shop but that`s wot he always said he would do .

Hi Mick yes Steve. Did some work on site when it shut down after that he went hod carrying .he worked with us Ducker ,most of lad got jobs

We all realise now what a good place to work Brown Baileys The last firm I worked for thought we gone back 50yr 

7 hours ago, raymondo1952 said:

Hi Mick yes Steve. Did some work on site when it shut down after that he went hod carrying .he worked with us Ducker ,most of lad got jobs

We all realise now what a good place to work Brown Baileys The last firm I worked for thought we gone back 50yr 

Hi Ray my brother John did not search for any jobs e t c when Hatfields closed and has never taken a full time job ever since moved down to south coast we send cards to each other and that`s about it .

OkMick yes your John married a girl who lived near our family she  one of a twin My family knew here family well Dad was called Graham and mother Shirley both used to be HGV drivers self employed 

Hi Ray yes he did ,he remarried before going down south , can you remember a john cartilage one of the lads bumped into him this Sat ! by chance alter all those years small world .

6 minutes ago, Saynor m said:

Hi Ray yes he did ,he remarried before going down south , can you remember a john cartilage one of the lads bumped into him this Sat ! by chance alter all those years small world .

Remember him but not that well 

I have a few memories of Dunford Hadfields East Hecla Works, Vulcan Rd in the early 70's.

I joined the Works Engineers team who were putting in a Bar Mill at that time. My uncle Gerry Ward (now deceased) was a slinger there at that time. My wife uncle Jack Goodinson (also deceased) was a grinder there around that time also.

Also remember Barry Sculley who was a successful motorcycle racer at the time. Think he worked in one of the labs.