Hadfields Steel Works

So glad I've chanced upon this thread. I'm a writer, currently working on a novel and researching for my story.

What pubs were frequented by workers from Hadfields around mid 50's/early 60's?

I have the Bridge Inn, Meadowhall Road in mind but I'd welcome any other suggestions. And any descriptions/info would be really helpful.

Hadfields became Dunford Hadfields around 1966/67.When i recieved my apprentice served Blacksmith certificate it had DunfieldHadfields on the top of it and this was 1968.At the same time the foundry (which was at the time the longest foundry in the world 440yards long) was taken over by Osbourns thus giving Dunford and Osbourn Hadfields.Hadfields had their own sports ground on bawtry road and a number of football teams and cricket teams.We used to play inter-departmental matches as well.

Has anyone seen this? http://www.songsofsteel.com

It's a history project they've been doing about Steelos and Parkgate in Rotherham. They have a film with old archive footage coming out. It's an interesting website. There's also a performance at the Rotherham Civic on March 14th.

My dad from what i can remember worked there all his life til he was made redundant at 60. He worked for Firth Brown as well.

He was an engineer and one memory I have of him taking me to work, for the unveiling of a telescope they had made parts for. Just had a look around and found it on Wikipedia. All I can remember is being so shocked at how big the place was.

I was an electrician for contractor F.H. Wheelers and my first proper apprenticeship started when I was taken to Dunford Hadfields one afternoon in August 1968. Bill Bottomley was the Wheelers chargehand and their cabin was quite a walk into the plant from Vulcan Road. Being a blue collar worker, I shouldn't have used the main gate at the end of Vulcan Road, but I defiantly always did, but one morning I'd walked from the bus stop with a young woman only to be re-directed to the small wicket gate further along the road. Christ I was humiliated and angry, I hated that, workers through one entrance and office staff through the main gate next to the weigh bridge.

I managed to get to work in the offices with a young electrician called Ken Nelson, he'd secured the job of working on office electrics rather than the industrial side. Whilst installing a ring main in the offices, which were immediately above the main entrance, I recall a very attractive, leggy blonde who stood out from all the others, probably in 1968 in her late twenties. I was 16 and I thought she was absolutely gorgeous.

One saturday morning working there, I had a play on their electronic calculator. It was a huge thing with neon nixie tubes and as I recall, they had just the one in accounts.

I worked on the electrics in the office conversion that included an old dark room. There were loads of photos strewn around and I collected them all up and took them home. These were fabulous 10x8 shots of bygone years of the staff and workers, young lads wearing weskets and flat caps from the turn of the century. All were of recognisable parts of the works. Some photos showed what many won't know and that is that the river Don used to go straight through the middle of the Hadfields plant but was diverted to the northern boundary alongside Meadowhall Road where it runs to this day. In 1969 whilst working at Shepcote Rolling Mills, the gaffer, Jack Childs, who'd worked at Hadfields as a youth, asked to see the photos. Big mistake, I never got them back and I would still have them today because I love old photos like that. I would pay good money to have those photo's back.

Oh and by the way, as an apprentice in 1968, I used to take home £4 19s 6d for five days and for seven days I got £6 4s 2d ha ha

I remember Hadfields very well. I started there in 1965 as an apprentice and worked in No1 M/C shop, it used to have the big clock on top that you could see from the motorway. I moved from the machine shop in 1968 and went to work in the Electric workshop which was sited close to the river near the steel bridge. I became the chargehand doing all the fitting and machining for the electrical department and had a great set of guys working for me over the years, (I think 'Toastmaster' -Mick (Max) Wall was one along with Terry Bingham, Mick McKee, Stevie watts, Stuart Dunham, Steve Bell, Trevor Mason, Neil Hellewell and many more. We had some good 'gaffers' Albert Sherwood and Tony Parkin in particular.

I remember Pete Lax also, he worked as a 'trician and was big mates with Brian Bailey. Pete ended up as an Engineer. I also remember the crane driver being killed as the melting shop was next door to our department.

The river that runs behind Meadowhall used to run through the centre of the firm but was diverted many years ago. Evidence of this was apparant when there were heavy rains as the rolling mill used to flood. I left in 1984 when the firm finally closed but I still have fond memories of the place. I would love to hear from anyone else who worked there about the same time.

I remember Hadfields very well. I started there in 1965 as an apprentice and worked in No1 M/C shop, it used to have the big clock on top that you could see from the motorway. I moved from the machine shop in 1968 and went to work in the Electric workshop which was sited close to the river near the steel bridge. I became the chargehand doing all the fitting and machining for the electrical department and had a great set of guys working for me over the years, (I think 'Toastmaster' -Mick (Max) Wall was one along with Terry Bingham, Mick McKee, Stevie watts, Stuart Dunham, Steve Bell, Trevor Mason, Neil Hellewell and many more. We had some good 'gaffers' Albert Sherwood and Tony Parkin in particular.

I remember Pete Lax also, he worked as a 'trician and was big mates with Brian Bailey. Pete ended up as an Engineer. I also remember the crane driver being killed as the melting shop was next door to our department.

The river that runs behind Meadowhall used to run through the centre of the firm but was diverted many years ago. Evidence of this was apparant when there were heavy rains as the rolling mill used to flood. I left in 1984 when the firm finally closed but I still have fond memories of the place. I would love to hear from anyone else who worked there about the same time.

You probably knew my dad,Pete Campbell,who worked in No.1 M/C shop office 1962-74 after he had a serious accident in the 4-ton hammer shop.

Yes,

The name certainly rings a bell and I will certainly have known him if he worked in the m/c shop office at that time.

Blade,

Did you play football for the firm in the late 60's earl 70's?

My Father,Tom Webster,worked in the Foundry at Hadfields for 51 years.He started there as a boy of 14,his first job was straightening nails for the Moulds,he then became a Moulder,during the War,he made Moulds for Tank Turrets & Tank Tracks.

Afterwards he made Moulds for Dredger Buckets among other things.

I think it was about 1952/3 Prince Phillip came & opened a new press,which at that time was the biggest in Europe & afterwords all the Workers Familys were invited down to have a look round,&have a Buffet Meal & Drinks in the Canteen.

My father , Alf Ray, worked at Hadfields all through the war up to the early '60s he worked in No1 Machine Shop Extension & was a Horizontal Borer.

He left & went to Danial Doncasters on Penistone Rd, but died in 1966 aged 49 from a brain haemorrhage.

Anyone remember him ?

Barbara

So glad I've chanced upon this thread. I'm a writer, currently working on a novel and researching for my story.

What pubs were frequented by workers from Hadfields around mid 50's/early 60's?

I have the Bridge Inn, Meadowhall Road in mind but I'd welcome any other suggestions. And any descriptions/info would be really helpful.

Dear WriterDeb,

I worked at Hadfields from 1962-65 as a very Junior Clerk, starting in the Post Office and "progressing" to the Sales floor. The pub I remember was the Plumpers Arms on Bawtry Road, which is still there. I was officially too young to drink but sneaked in one Christmas and felt quite ill after one gin-and-lime. My Aunty and Uncle lived in Bawtry Road, and most of my family worked at Hadfields: my dad, at least 2 uncles, 3 aunties and 2 cousins.

Many memories as it was my first job. I will be back on the site another time, with more names and memories.