Hadfields Steel Works

I worked as an electrician in the melting shop in the early 70s.I remember a crane driver who was killed around that time, Health and Safety was not such a big issue then.I was actually sacked for being a naughty boy But Tony Parkin the engineer fixed me up wth a job at Brown Bayley's who Hadfields has just bought,

I wonder if there is anyone around who worked in the Sales R department at Hadfields in the mid-1950s. I recall that a smashing guy called Jack Bowles was the chief clerk in that department, and I worked for a time alongside a lad called Mike Williams. I believe that Mike died a few years ago after running a post office in Sheffield for many years.

During the late 1950's I was Secretary to Mr.F.A.Bailey, Engineering Controller at Hadfields Ltd Vulcan Road. The names I remember are Harry Torry, Jack Hickling, Mr.Credland.

East Hecla Works closed down not long after the national strike of 1980. There was quite a lot of bother on the picket lines at the time, as many private sector steel workers kept working. The site was cleared in the mid-eighties I think.

Hadfields also took over Brown Bayley's old works on Leeds Road, near the baths. My dad worked there for a bit in the seventies.

That factory remained derelict for some years, and was finally cleared for Don Valley Stadium. I have some pics of both factories somewhere.

Would you be kind enough to send pictures of Brown Bayleys to me at stuartb47@yahoo.com as I used to work there.Thanks

Vulcan road is still there.It is one of the roads that leads into "Meadowhell".

When the firm was known as Dunford Hadfields, they took over Brown Bayley's which was situated on Worksop Road,Attercliffe. When they eventually closed down in 1981 the works were demolished and it is now the site of Don Valley Stadium. I worked there from 1966 to 1980.

What dept did you work in at Brown Bayleys?

My dad worked for Arthur Lees for many years, he was a furnace man, I do have a coule of photos of him and his fellow workers taken in about 1960's/early 70's

He was called Bob Holmes but generally known as black bob!

Marion

Would you please send scans of the photos to stuartb47@yahoo.com as my late father in law worked on the furnaces there.Thanks

I worked as an electrician in the melting shop in the early 70s.I remember a crane driver who was killed around that time, Health and Safety was not such a big issue then.I was actually sacked for being a naughty boy But Tony Parkin the engineer fixed me up wth a job at Brown Bayley's who Hadfields has just bought,
My old man ken brooks worked there at the time that guy was killed,can still remember him telling me.

My great grand father was an electrician in the power house at Hadfields and retired sometime in the late fifties as I remember it was just before I left school he worked untill he was in his seventies to complete fifty years service there and was presented with a walking stick with an engraved siver band on it acknowledging his service there his name was George Butler.

Does anyone know anything about Hatfields Steel that used to stand on the sight of where Meadow Hall is now. I have been trying to find some information about it because my Grandad worked there and I just wanted to know exactly where it was and when it finished trading, also if there are any books on the subject?

HI THERE

I WAS A LOCO DRIVER AT HADFILD.

GRAHAMFUTTER@HOTMAIL.COM

i had my first inteview for a job at hadfields but took a job at firth brown tools instead same outcome

there has just been a programme on BBC4 about a day in the life of Sheffield in 1973 which featured Dunford Hadfields amongst other things. It showed the East Hecla Works and featured a guy who was retiring having worked there 50 years, showing him getting a presentation from 'The Board'! You can probably i-player it - nostalgic stuff if you remember Sheffield in the 70's

HI. I worked in Hadflelds in 1953, in the Cost office.One of our duties was putting the wages in pay packets.I think it was after I left that the Jaguar that was hired from from a local garage to transport the money from the bank to us was Hi-jacked on Tinsley Bridge. The gang were caught later. But a more lasting memory is of my father working there in the war-time. He worked in the foundry Their main jobs were casting tracks for tanks and railway lines. My ex brother in law (Jack Matthews) and his sons were the last of several generations to work at the Newhall Road site in the tool-room.,when it closed down.