Your memories of Josephine's Nightclub.

it was a horrible place blokes couldn't walk past you without groping you!! I remember the DJ, Mitch (early 90's) every night they used to play "New york, New york" and one particular night there was a women with no knickers on doing the high kicks, needless to say it got played about three times!!

I didn't really go there by choice, was usually dragged there on staff nights out!!

I believe Dave Allan owned Joshephines - maybe still does? Skippy was the smaller doorman who was also the wrestler. We called the bigger bouncer Garth! My recollections are in the 70's however.

Dave Allen owned Josephines when it first opened around 1975 and the doorman who was the wrestler was a deaf and dumb guy by the name of Alan Kilby. Alan was a really lovely bloke but if you upset him, or took the ****, then he was the hardest bloke, bar one, that I have ever come across when it came to using his fists rather than weapons.

Definitely not a man to be crossed. I once saw him hit a bloke, who was trying to cause some trouble, outside a club in Chesterfield a few months before Josephines opened. This blokes feet left the ground and he went head first through the plate glass window of a large shop front and ended up in the window display. :o

Wayne Chadwick used to own it did'nt he? I used to work in the Fountain Bar when it was down a flight of stairs and he owned that as well. He was a bit of a prat if I recall. Did not know his son though.

blast from the past that name - he also had something to do with the pub on the road that runs at back of cathedral - can't recall the name now and also Marple I think.

I don't think it was ever really 'posh', but perhaps some people did think it was ;) Mainly an older crowd from memory with Thursdays being Hen Party night me and my mates always had a good time :)

Funniest memory - Alex Higgins (snooker player) slumped stone drunk (and whatever else) on the floor in the cocktail bar when the snooker was on in 1990.

Best memory - the same night but we won't go into that. :)

My god ! Flash backs - me & my friends used to go there around 10 years ago - every single Thursday night !

isn't that that nightclub where the dance floor was the size of a postage stamp, apart from that it was a nice decent club. i had never known a club have a dance floor this small. we then used to go down to max a millions on charter square after doing a pub crawl on our way down. lol

I once went in with a crowd of friends quite early midweek or Thursday (I think it must have been free before 10.00 or something) and it was quite empty. We were about 19 at the time. We got some drinks and stood chatting and a group of about three or four blokes came up to talk to us.

One of them put his hand right up my skirt and grabbed my a***. I turned round instinctively and whacked him right across the side of his head. His glasses flew off and zoomed across the metal dance floor and, as I later discovered, they broke.

"You've bust me specs you f-ing bitch" he yelled at me after he had retrieved them.

Er, if he liked me, what was wrong with offering to buy me a drink? :rant:

He looked a real tosser after that !!!

Had a few good nights in there but the last time I went in, many moons ago now, I was so drunk I nearly fell backwards down the steps while I was queueing :gag: I can remember once or twice going for a meal and those were always good nights but I never used to think it was the place it was held up to be, just cos a few famous people and the local poseurs used to go in there :heyhey:

Anyone remember the big Scottish guy who used to manage it in the mid 70s?

Name of Alex Beverley or something like that?

Wasn't there a DJ called Chris Cross or whatever?

it was a horrible place blokes couldn't walk past you without groping you!! I remember the DJ, Mitch (early 90's) every night they used to play "New york, New york" and one particular night there was a women with no knickers on doing the high kicks, needless to say it got played about three times!!

I didn't really go there by choice, was usually dragged there on staff nights out!!

Bet you didn't take much dragging:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Being drunk.. falling in a drunken heap in one of the toilet cubicles, sitting there for about an hour before being helped home by my friends :hihi:

I remember it a bit from the early eighties a real iconic place. I remeber people ****ing a about Tony Knowles being in there Who???? he won the world snooker Chapionship around 1979/80 or 81 I'm sure someone will put me right.

It had a really strict dress code Jacket and Tie type thing unheard of now days