Letter from Australia

In Queensland again, retired now which gives a totally different aspect to life. Nothing to rush home for, I can bask in the August sun, sitting outside, sipping port surrounded by gently swaying palms, keep reminding myself that it’s still winter here in Australia. Wearing shorts! Haven’t worn shorts since I played right wing for Handsworth Social.

I worked for a year and a half into my retirement and it wasn’t easy – the secure dementia ward was hard slog, physically and mentally. Now all that is behind me, I’m a free agent, the world is my oyster again as it was the day I left school 50 years ago. I’m happy, content, that’s the best way I can describe it.

Two years ago I was back in Sheffield visiting family and friends, roaming around the places where I grew up (search ‘An Expat Returns.’) I felt contentment then, but it was more than that, I struggle to find the words to describe how I felt, returning home after 40 years away. The moral of this drunken rant is that it doesn’t matter where you are, happiness and contentment come from within.

Scrap that, just seen a news report from Aleppo.

Anyway, I’ve written a book about leaving Sheffield all those years ago, going to publish when we get back to Tasmania. Thanks ‘Belle’ for your encouragement, I’ll send you a copy. Cheers for now.

Hi Downsunder - welcome to the ranks of the retired! I retired at 54 in 2002 and have never looked back (and never been busier). I enjoyed reading "My Sheffield... an Expat returns" two years ago and was glad that you didn't repeat the old mantra "it isn't the Sheffield I knew" (of course it isn't - Sheffield changes, just as everywhere else changes). Having visited most parts of Australia I think that Queensland summers would be a bit too warm for me but I could happily spend more time in Tasmania. I fantasise about having a nice bungalow in Burnie (near my cousin) and enjoying longer days from, say, November to March!

Sounds like you have packed a whole lot into your life Hillsboro, in fact you've probably seen more of Australia than I have (from your dad's sidecar??) I certainly haven't visited most parts of Australia, I've covered the eastern seaboard and as far inland as Mudgee (where my good friend and expat Sheffielder Brian Hobson lives.) But Tasmania is different, compared to the north island, it is so like the old country, thats the impression I got when I first saw this 'green and pleasant land'. We live about 100k due east of your cousin. Small world my friend . . .

Hi Downsunder - wouldn't it be nice to tour Australia by motorbike + sidecar?! I haven't been to the Northern Territory or the northern part of Queensland but other than this I've seen quite a lot of Oz at one time or another. A 'highlight' was taking the "Indian Pacific" from Perth to Adelaide and then an overnight sleeper (First Class, no less) on to Melbourne. One day I might take the "Ghan" to Alice Springs and Darwin.... But I particularly like Tassie and hope to return there sometime, though at 68 I think my ambition to climb Cradle Mountain will remain unfulfilled. :P Tasmania even has the Steel City's namesake which can't be far from you. :)

Eyup, Downsunder,

long time no speak, nice to see you are enjoying QLD, and still living in TAS.

it's 12yrs now since we left TAS (Richmond) after our 3 yr sea change and the business we had in Salamanca Markets.

still miss Tassie though, but kids and grandkids here in Perth.

we are still in Mandurah (Madora Bay) and I have about 18months before I retire...or sooner! so looking forward to all that, thanks Hillsboro for the motivation :-) I have to find a hobby or summat! mind you paddleboarding and Kayaking is lovely to do.

Are you still in Penguin, Downsunder?

Ey up owl,

12 years since you were in Tassie! You were just a youngster then, I'm afraid I could never take the heat in Perth, Queensland is the same, we have to go there in winter. We are in a hotel in St Kilda, Melbourne, catching the ferry back to Tas. tomorrow, been away for 6 weeks, driven about 2500 miles, ready for home now. Penguin? You're confusing us with a couple of expats you met in Salamanca market but that's ok, these things happen at our age. At least you're enjoying life. Cheers.

Ey up owl,

12 years since you were in Tassie! You were just a youngster then, I'm afraid I could never take the heat in Perth, Queensland is the same, we have to go there in winter. We are in a hotel in St Kilda, Melbourne, catching the ferry back to Tas. tomorrow, been away for 6 weeks, driven about 2500 miles, ready for home now. Penguin? You're confusing us with a couple of expats you met in Salamanca market but that's ok, these things happen at our age. At least you're enjoying life. Cheers.

Must be quite different from St Kilda in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland - although that was a fascinating and lovely place to visit.

It's like they are on 2 different planets. I've never had the good fortune to visit the Outer Hebrides but this St Kilda is fascinating too in it's own way. Sitting on a tiny balcony overlooking Fitzroy Street in Australia's second biggest city, I'm amazed by the scene. From the pavement in front of the hotel there are 2 bike lanes, 1 car lane, 2 tram lanes, 1 car lane and another bike lane with a row of palm trees down the middle, each one lit up by 2 spotlights constantly changing colour. Pizza delivery riders on bicycles dash by almost as frequently as the brightly lit trams bringing people home from the city. Across the road are wine bars, restaurants, chip shops, pubs etc, all doing a roaring trade and this a Wednesday night!

It would be interesting to know how this St Kilda earned its name - perhaps someone out there might know.

Cheers fer now.

...It would be interesting to know how this St Kilda earned its name...
According to Wikipedia it was named after a schooner, the Lady of St Kilda, which was built at Dartmouth and launched in 1834.

Aaaaghh St Kilda, Ackland street where the coffee is great and the ladies of the night hang out.

Ey up owl,

:D:D:D must be time for us to come back to Tassie for a visit :)

Just walked down Ackland both ways, the whole road has been ripped up, pavements and all, its going to look a bit special when its done. Maybe they will get a better class of lady then??