Virgin media increases prices again!

....But for speed and BB reliability you can't beat Virgin.

Not in my case! After 5 months of suffering speeds below 2Mbps between 5pm and 1am, with no fix in sight, I've finally switched to Sky.

Best move I ever made.

Virginmedia - Medium TV package, 50Meg broadband (supposedly) and phone = £53/month.

Sky - All channels including Cinema and Sports, 40 Meg broadband (constant) and phone = £51/month.

When I told Virginmedia I wanted to cancel my subscription, they didn't even attempt to haggle.

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/55033/virgin-media-price-hike-increase-tv-line-rental?source=10000277&utm_source=newsletter

They having a laugh, wish the price increases got delayed as much as the line speed increases.

I have Sky TV and have to say I enjoy it compared to the nightmare I had with Virgin media's version of the same that never worked in all the time I had it.

I have virgin BB and phone however I have to say this is the first I've heard of the price hikes however Mr Branson can politely stick it somewhere where the sun doesn't shine if my bill rises again this year. Sky offered me unlimited BB and a phone for significantly less than virgin do which is helpful as I don't stream stuff or play online games.

Virgin informed me that unless you pay for a top end package they cannot guarantee a strong consistent signal so when my latest upgrade expires I will be leaving them. I don't like being held to ransom!

But then again maybe the prices hikes are due to the fact that Richard Branson voted to remain in the EU even though he doesn't live in the UK, doesn't pay UK taxes and has all his wealth in Switzerland and maybe people are getting miffed off by that...........and leaving in droves...

Sorry!

Sky - Good

Virgin - Bad

:hihi:

Depends on what you need. I don't have either company for the TV channels. Just for my broadband connection. So in my case, 200mbit is better than 76mbit. So Virgin is easily better for me.

I am not certain, but it could well be that their increase automatically invalidates your contract. Which might be exactly what they want considering that the service is becoming oversubscribed in lots of places.

Look around!

ez8004 - if you get 200mbit for real, in the evening when half the country descends on Youtube/Netflix and so on, than you are probably right. From what I hear from people that have Virgin (and Sky) they really struggle around that time.

Me, I cruise along at 70 Mbps all day, which is more than enough to watch 2 4K-clips live at the same time.

ez8004 - if you get 200mbit for real, in the evening when half the country descends on Youtube/Netflix and so on, than you are probably right. From what I hear from people that have Virgin (and Sky) they really struggle around that time.

Me, I cruise along at 70 Mbps all day, which is more than enough to watch 2 4K-clips live at the same time.

Just done a speed test on my Virgin BB and got 211/12 - peak time Friday night, happy with that.

Not happy with the price hike though, the tivo box will be going back and the channels cut back to pay for it as well.

Didn't VM increase prices earlier in the year as well?

I remember having Sky and the modem failing. I was on the phone to some call centre bod for 40 minutes and he flatly refused to admit it was their fault. My partner rang up 10 minutes later and spoke to someone else who immediately sent a new modem.

On the other hand Virgin have failed repeatedly whilst we've been in our new house but at least they come out and fix it for free, after the interminable call to India.

I remember having Sky and the modem failing. I was on the phone to some call centre bod for 40 minutes and he flatly refused to admit it was their fault. My partner rang up 10 minutes later and spoke to someone else who immediately sent a new modem.

On the other hand Virgin have failed repeatedly whilst we've been in our new house but at least they come out and fix it for free, after the interminable call to India.

hint:

Call them between 6pm & 8pm you always seem to get someone who can speak/hear properly (time difference)

Just done a speed test on my Virgin BB and got 211/12 - peak time Friday night, happy with that.

Not happy with the price hike though, the tivo box will be going back and the channels cut back to pay for it as well.

That's pretty good. I'm on 70/20 though ;)

Seriously though, I've never felt I need more than 70 since I got it. I've had 30 before this and that was running out of oomph (since the wife discovered iPlayer properly) but I reckon even a household of 5 would have enough juice with this connection. So the question is - what do you use that extra 130 for?

Well i pay £56 a month to sky and that includes all channels (apart from sports) broadband and telephone line.. They did try putting it up to £80 a bit back but i was straight on the phone to them and they put it back down by giving movies and mutli-room a discount for 12mnths..

If you dont ask you dont get :)

Oh and sky change their offers every three months so it's always worth giving them a call to see what they can do for you..

Probably an old fashioned phrase and perhaps right once, but when used with these modern huge companies - just by saying that - it's a sign that they now have almost complete control, like most other big business :|

It's almost a reversal of old business con practices :hihi:

I have been with Vigin for 10 years, and never had any problems with service, BUT, the thought of the fees going up again isn't going down well. I pay £75.43 per month, I get phone, tv broadband, some football matches (great!) and broadband. I am unsure about Sky, heard not so good reports, I may have to cancel the XL package, to see how much I could save, I have to say like another member, I did try to negoiate another deal for a cheeaper cost, and got zilch! Yhey keep calling me about getting a Virgin phone, no chance, I recognise the numvber and delete itor just not answer.

Virgin are rob dogs I kicked them out a few years ago,with Sky now a lot cheaper and better to deal with.