Manchester to Sheffield road tunnel plans

Anyone would think that some election is on the horizon

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Just shows you how stupid them in charge think the voting public are, bloody tunnel from Sheffield to Manchester give over.

I can't see the tunnel being that feasible, but it is definitely worth investigating.

Depends how much the study costs.

Just shows you how stupid them in charge think the voting public are, bloody tunnel from Sheffield to Manchester give over.

I'm not sure they're proposing to start on the Moor and finish on Oxford Road...

I'm not sure they're proposing to start on the Moor and finish on Oxford Road...

They are proposing a study of viability, before an election, anyone with any common sense already knows the outcome of this 'study'.

Blatant election ploy, i wonder when this 'study' will be ready oh yeah after the election when of course a tunnel wont be a viable option.

Edited by damageandy

Any upgraded route between Sheffield and Manchester would need to link to the motorways at either end. This would be much harder for the A57, without undertaking major changes within Sheffield itself.

Well they could do that at the same time as they are demolishing half of Sheffield to run HS2 into the city centre

Well they could do that at the same time as they are demolishing half of Sheffield to run HS2 into the city centre

Much of Sheffield wants demolishing really. I hope it goes through Attercliffe because that place is grim now sadly.

HS2 isn't going into Sheffield's city centre, is it?

This has been muted before , last time they were on about looking into the cost of re-opening the old Woodhead tunnel that runs over to Glossop. This idea comes up from time to time .

As others have already mentioned, an election is on the horizon , so this will be just one of many "announcements" in the next few months.

Woodhead anyone?

This is a single carriageway Mottram bypass

1. Mottram Moor: a new link road from the M67 to a new junction at the A57(T) at Mottram Moor

2. A57(T) to A57 Link Road: a new single carriageway link, bypassing the existing A628/A57, and the A57 Woolley Lane/Hadfield Road junctions

3. A628 Woodhead Bridge: provision of two eastbound climbing lanes near Woodhead Bridge and Slater's Brook Bridge

The current Manchester A-Z shows its route by a broken orange line. Get it built ASAP.