Manchester to Sheffield road tunnel plans

This is more or less the reason I left Sheffield a long time ago, and why most of my friends are doing so as well. I've never seen such an insular parochial town as Sheffield with such a massive victim complex and I've been to Liverpool before you ask.

I don't live in Sheffield. I go there from time to time on business.I also go to Liverpool a lot. It is like night and day. Liverpool is vibrant. The canal basin alive. Their shopping centre was built in the city. The old dock warehouses are luxury flats. There is optimism. They want to move forward. All that despite Degsie.

I don't live in Sheffield. I go there from time to time on business.I also go to Liverpool a lot. It is like night and day. Liverpool is vibrant. The canal basin alive. Their shopping centre was built in the city. The old dock warehouses are luxury flats. There is optimism. They want to move forward. All that despite Degsie.

Amazing that Birmingham have turned their canal basin into a thriving nightlife hub, most people don't even know that Sheffield has one. What a missed opportunity.

Sheffield folk don't want that. They want steel works back and good honest jobs and nothing too fancy or aspirational. This way they can keep voting Sheffields own brand of Labour back in forever and ever and ever and ever.

Yikes! :shocked:

We do need it, but....

At what destructive cost? :shakes:

Well somebodys gorra pay off the rare newts to bugger off elsewhere.

Remember, on your next ramble, the big black and white ones are cows, the smaller hairier white ones are sheep.

I'm confused now. Small? I thought the sheep were far away?

A public road isn't the place to be "testing" anything

And you don't know every bend, because what is around it could change

Some other fool might be running "tests"

I think you misunderstood what i meant by testing.I know the limits of my car and my driving.I do not take risks or drive above the speed limit or cross the middle white line,it is just i have a great handling car.I find driving fun and a pleasure,and when you have a great handling car it just sticks to all the curves like glue making it fun.Most of the accidents on the woodhead usually involve HGV's and motorbikes.We need something in life that is fun,without fun in life what is the point of being alive.We all have different things that make us happy,mine is being on two or four wheels.If we worried about what somebody else was doing on the roads and the fear of being killed all the time nobody would ever venture out on to them.

it's never going to happen - it's not london.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this.

Sheffield folk don't want that. They want steel works back and good honest jobs and nothing too fancy or aspirational. This way they can keep voting Sheffields own brand of Labour back in forever and ever and ever and ever.

This is unfortunately very true. I work with colleagues in the town centre who claim about lack of investment in Sheffield. When I point out the sheer number of building going up that will house offices, shops, cafes and apartments all I get is a comment that 'Thems not proper jobs!' Hmm. Try telling the people of Leeds that...

I come from Sheffield originally and I love the place. But I am happy I now live between it and a city that is actually happy about what it's future holds.

Think we'll be likely to see human colonies on Mars before a Sheffield-Manchester tunnel (Or HS3 come to that) but if HS2 were actually built, would that put us in what you might call "The gravitational pull" of London rendering East-West connections less important, I mean people commute daily from Grantham to London on the ECML and time wise HS2 Sheffield-London would be as fast.

Think we'll be likely to see human colonies on Mars before a Sheffield-Manchester tunnel (Or HS3 come to that) but if HS2 were actually built, would that put us in what you might call "The gravitational pull" of London rendering East-West connections less important, I mean people commute daily from Grantham to London on the ECML and time wise HS2 Sheffield-London would be as fast.

Possibly, but at what cost? Do you know how much a peak return ticket to London costs? You'd be mad to think that a similar journey on a faster, newer service won't be twice as much. How many people could realistically afford to commute? Even if it was possible timewise.

Which actually may be a similar situation for a tunnel under the Pennines. Again I'd be surprised if this didn't attract a significant toll charge.

Not that either of these are likely to be completed within my working lifespan anyway.

Edited by DnAuK

This is more or less the reason I left Sheffield a long time ago, and why most of my friends are doing so as well. I've never seen such an insular parochial town as Sheffield with such a massive victim complex and I've been to Liverpool before you ask.

I moved here after uni as did most of my friends, we are all doing pretty well here and I really don't see this Little Sheffielder culture. But perhaps that just re-enforces your point, that those not born and bred here don't have the same culture?

Possibly, but at what cost? Do you know how much a peak return ticket to London costs? You'd be mad to think that a similar journey on a faster, newer service won't be twice as much. How many people could realistically afford to commute? Even if it was possible timewise.

Which actually may be a similar situation for a tunnel under the Pennines. Again I'd be surprised if this didn't attract a significant toll charge.

Not that either of these are likely to be completed within my working lifespan anyway.

Have to say I've no idea how much a season ticket on the train is a anywhere, fortunately my 'commute' consists of a ten minute drive through the Peak District.

While nobody can know for certain what the next 20 years will bring, there seems no sign that this country will get any less London-centric (Witness the imminent loss the other week of a couple of hundred Sheffield jobs from the offices at St Paul's to London) long term their property prices there will probably continue to soar forcing people to commute from further and further afield, whether a daily commute from Sheffield would be viable and cost effective on HS2, well younger contributors may find out but it's still so many years away, I doubt I'll be around to see it. :rolleyes: