Manchester to Sheffield road tunnel plans

The problem isn't due to the councillors. It's due to the people.

If projects like this are to ever happen the lead needs to come from the councillors.

Ideally it needs co-operation between council members and MP's to put the pressure on Westminster for funds for large projects.

With this tunnel in particular you'd want to see councillors and MP's from both side of the Pennines getting involved to present an united front.

As it is I doubt there's actually much support from any elected figures.

Re bib. There was a time when people would have said the same about many of our heavy industries. Nothing is guaranteed.

I agree, that is why it is so important to support the development of alternatives such as the Northern Powerhouse.

Where is all the pollution/fumes going to go? There will have to have some sort of ventilation system that'll funnel away the fumes/pollution into the Peak district.

If you go to the ones in the Alps they have massive sucking blowing air through the tunnels and out of the ends. I don't see where extra polution comes into it. If the cars are going through a tunnel at 50 mph they aren't stuck in a traffic jam in Glossop.

Why can't northerners just stay on their farms, why do they need to be moving about so much anyway?

We do stay on our farms most of the time its just that when we need to move the stock to market so that you southern numpties can eat we need a road to do it on.

Not helped by the fact that on your long weekends you don country apparel, come up here and wear the tracks down with your nordic skis and labradors kicking up the sludge and making the passes impassable.

If you would allow us a tunnel we could do all this underground so you could continue to disport yourselves in the manner to which you have become accustomed on the ground above.

I hope that if we could get the tunnel going we could keep going until we have created a huge hole under the whole of the south of England and then, once we were ready we could remove the chocks and the lot of you would disappear into it.

Once you were gone we could then set about the jocks. I support the idea of dropping the rubble from the tunnel/hole on top of them.

Remember, on your next ramble, the big black and white ones are cows, the smaller hairier white ones are sheep.

If you go to the ones in the Alps they have massive sucking blowing air through the tunnels and out of the ends. I don't see where extra polution comes into it. If the cars are going through a tunnel at 50 mph they aren't stuck in a traffic jam in Glossop.

So do you believe that the same volume of traffic will use the tunnel as currently drives across the Peak district between Manchester and Sheffield? I'd suggest that the tunnel will dramatically increase the traffic.

Anyway, part of the consultancy document mentions the impact of the ventilation shafts, and the infrastructure to build and maintain them, will have on the Peak district.

Why can't northerners just stay on their farms, why do they need to be moving about so much anyway?

We do stay on our farms most of the time its just that when we need to move the stock to market so that you southern numpties can eat we need a road to do it on.

Not helped by the fact that on your long weekends you don country apparel, come up here and wear the tracks down with your nordic skis and labradors kicking up the sludge and making the passes impassable.

If you would allow us a tunnel we could do all this underground so you could continue to disport yourselves in the manner to which you have become accustomed on the ground above.

I hope that if we could get the tunnel going we could keep going until we have created a huge hole under the whole of the south of England and then, once we were ready we could remove the chocks and the lot of you would disappear into it.

Once you were gone we could then set about the jocks. I support the idea of dropping the rubble from the tunnel/hole on top of them.

Remember, on your next ramble, the big black and white ones are cows, the smaller hairier white ones are sheep.

Agree in principle but the Sheffield Labour & Liberal parties do go out of their way to nurture and perpetuate the negative & insular outlook of Sheffielders.

I don't know if you went to school in Sheff but I did and the anti-Maggie/"gi steel industry back" mentality was drilled into us from an early age.

Sheffield needs to pull it socks up and it won't do that while it continues to be run by a procession of Little Sheffielders .

That is spot on. The Julie Dore's of this world would never support any project that was proposed by a Tory Government. So it is the perfect Catch 22. The Northern Powerhouse will happen. It will link Liverpool, Manchester, Salford, Leeds and Bradford. It will by-pass Sheffield, and Sheffielders will be happy about that.

The cost of tunneling for a major road averages out at around £250 million per mile. So you don't need much of a feasibility study costing millions to work out a rough cost of the job.

The cost of tunneling for a major road averages out at around £250 million per mile. So you don't need much of a feasibility study costing millions to work out a rough cost of the job.

That wouldn't be a feasibility study though would it. That would be a guestimate of cost.

"Northern Powerhouse department to close office in Sheffield and move 247 jobs to London."

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/29/northern-powerhouse-department-to-close-office-in-sheffield-and-move-247-jobs-to-london-5651943/

The Northern Powerhouse will happen. It will link Liverpool, Manchester, Salford, Leeds and Bradford. It will by-pass Sheffield, and Sheffielders will be happy about that.

Just fancy that.

It will link Liverpool, Manchester, Salford, Leeds and Bradford. It will by-pass Sheffield, and Sheffielders will be happy about that.

This is more or less the reason I left Sheffield a long time ago, and why most of my friends are doing so as well. I've never seen such an insular parochial town as Sheffield with such a massive victim complex and I've been to Liverpool before you ask.

Edited by Obelix
fix tags

That wouldn't be a feasibility study though would it. That would be a guestimate of cost.

Not really. Once you know that a 38 mile tunnel is going to cost you at least£10 billion quid you can work out if you can afford it. That seems a better idea than spending £10 million to find it will cost an estimated £10.2365 billion (but possibly 25% more) before deciding you haven't got anywhere near enough to press ahead.

Well whatever the original estimate will be, you can bet it will be hugely underestimated like the costs of the new aircraft carriers which are way over budget.