Manchester to Sheffield road tunnel plans

£75 million just to develop some reports?! How much would the 18-mile tunnel cost then?

The Hindhead tunnel (1.2 miles) and 4 miles of duel carriageway cost £371million in 2011 on the A3.

We already have sheffield to manchester rail tunnel, its just not used any more.Is this what hes on about, doing work on that ?

There's 200 odd Labour MPs in the House of Commons, but they aren't all like Jeremy Corbyn or Julie Dore.

How do you know all 96 Labour councillors aren't like Corbyn?

And do you have any evidence that Julie Dore is a 70s throwback.

What would make her a 70's throwback??

Like intentionally standing in the way of a project such as this??

I love driving on the Woodhead Pass,a real drivers road to test the cars handling.The nearest thing we have to driving the full Nurburgring Norschsleiffe circuit in Germany.I have been driving on it for thirty years without a mishap,i know every bend and bump in the road.I think a tunnel would be a great idea to get all the lorries off the pass but i cannot see it happening to be honest.The road is great for cars but not not so good for hgvs who regularly hit the walls on the tight Crowden section.

---------- Post added 16-03-2016 at 22:41 ----------

We already have sheffield to manchester rail tunnel, its just not used any more.Is this what hes on about, doing work on that ?

The newest tunnel now has power cables running through it and the two old victorian tunnels are in a state of disrepair and i believe are to be bricked up forever.I spoke to a couple of the lads who were working on the resiting of the cables in to the newer tunnel from the old one while i was walking on the trail.

Edited by ghost rider

I love driving on the Woodhead Pass,a real drivers road to test the cars handling.The nearest thing we have to driving the full Nurburgring Norschsleiffe circuit in Germany.I have been driving on it for thirty years without a mishap,i know every bend and bump in the road.I think a tunnel would be a great idea to get all the lorries off the pass but i cannot see it happening to be honest.The road is great for cars but not not so good for hgvs who regularly hit the walls on the tight Crowden section.

---------- Post added 16-03-2016 at 22:41 ----------

The newest tunnel now has power cables running through it and the two old victorian tunnels are in a state of disrepair and i believe are to be bricked up forever.I spoke to a couple of the lads who were working on the resiting of the cables in to the newer tunnel from the old one while i was walking on the trail.

A public road isn't the place to be "testing" anything

And you don't know every bend, because what is around it could change

Some other fool might be running "tests"

There already is a 65 page interim report for the tunnel.

All these studies and reports are a total waste of money as tories will build the London runway and address other social issues before they start digging under the pennines

Edited by dutch

There already is a 65 page interim report for the tunnel.

All these studies and reports are a total waste of money as tories will build the London runway and address other social issues before they start digging under the pennines

They'd stick a moat round all of London before putting a new motorway in the North :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Why can't northerners just stay on their farms, why do they need to be moving about so much anyway?

Derby and Nottingham are adjacent to each other. Leeds and Bradford are adjacent to each other. The reason we are discussing this issue is due to a lot of countryside between us and Manchester.

None of which are linked by a single carriageway, windy, mountainous road, that is closed each winter due to the weather all with a 50mph speed limit.

That's my point. The two cities are badly connected.

Manchester City Council has 96 councillors. They are all Labour.

The problem isn't due to the councillors. It's due to the people. Sheffielders have such huge chips on both shoulders about coal and steel and Maggie, and everything else that their knuckles drag on the ground.

Manchester on the other hand isn't scared by looking forwards which is why they are going to lead the Powerhouse unlike Sheffield which will probably get booted into the east midlands lot where it can find an ideal whinging partner with Bolsover.

The problem isn't due to the councillors. It's due to the people. Sheffielders have such huge chips on both shoulders about coal and steel and Maggie, and everything else that their knuckles drag on the ground.

Manchester on the other hand isn't scared by looking forwards which is why they are going to lead the Powerhouse unlike Sheffield which will probably get booted into the east midlands lot where it can find an ideal whinging partner with Bolsover.

Agree in principle but the Sheffield Labour & Liberal parties do go out of their way to nurture and perpetuate the negative & insular outlook of Sheffielders.

I don't know if you went to school in Sheff but I did and the anti-Maggie/"gi steel industry back" mentality was drilled into us from an early age.

Sheffield needs to pull it socks up and it won't do that while it continues to be run by a procession of Little Sheffielders .