Manchester to Sheffield road tunnel plans

Im not so sure, if the tunnel is built and it is primarily for motors not rail it could actually compliment what they are considering for Manchester to Leeds re rail. Also such a road would allow anyone wanting to get to north Midlands/East of England from the North West easier access.

There is a huge new development for factories, storage facilities near Birdwell/Tankersley this could be the logical start/finish of the tunnel.

That may well be true that it would be of benefit to this side of the Pennines, but can you see any government spending the reported 75 billion quid on South Yorkshire. Incidentally if the one in a million chance did happen we won't be here, how long have they been talking about runway additions in the south east.

Forming committees and having reviews seems to be one of the biggest growth industries in the country at the moment.

can you see any government spending the reported 75 billion quid on South Yorkshire.

Its all part of the northern powerhouse, whatever that is.

Transport for the North, (ever heard of them?) who are supposed to be the North's equivalent of TfL, are attempting to improve connections across the whole of the north.

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 17:11 ----------

Forming committees and having reviews seems to be one of the biggest growth industries in the country at the moment.

It does seem a little like the government has made cuts in bureaucracy to just replace it with more bureaucracy.

If you were cynical you could suggest that this is all part of the movement of power (blame), away from Whitehall.

I don't know what more you want the electorate to do. They elected him as MP then re-elected him, if he wasn't prepared to represent them he should have resigned and left the job to someone who would.

His attitude to Sheffield was made quite obvious when he moved hi family home back to London.

He brought the Libdem conference to Sheffield in an attempt to promote Sheffield as a conference centre. It went splendidly after the rent a mob were shown on the TV demonstrating why you wouldn't want your conference here.

An MP doesn't need to resign. We have what is known as elections where folk who are represented by an MP get to give a verdict on his/her performance. This in contrast to shipped in loud mouths from other constituencies shouting and balling and generally voicing their opinion of someone else's MP.

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 17:17 ----------

That may well be true that it would be of benefit to this side of the Pennines, but can you see any government spending the reported 75 billion quid on South Yorkshire. Incidentally if the one in a million chance did happen we won't be here, how long have they been talking about runway additions in the south east.

Well I can't see it happening. There will be a mass of publicity about how EU funding COULD get such a scheme off the ground. EU funding that wouldn't be available if we left the EU.

Then once the EU vote has gone the pie in the sky scheme will be back in the archives where it has been for 50 years, waiting to be dusted off again when more hot air is urgently needed in the region.

Edited by foxy lady

Its all part of the northern powerhouse, whatever that is.

I thought that idea had officially flopped??

Mostly because there was never any funding to backup all the hot air??

Mostly because there was never any funding to backup all the hot air??

And the department that was supposed to be leading it is being moved from Sheffield to London

Still going strong, or as strong as it was.

Not sure how well its going but George is very keen on it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/northern-powerhouse-10-of-the-uks-12-most-struggling-cities-are-in-the-north-report-reveals-a6902181.html

He brought the Libdem conference to Sheffield in an attempt to promote Sheffield as a conference centre. It went splendidly after the rent a mob were shown on the TV demonstrating why you wouldn't want your conference here.

An MP doesn't need to resign. We have what is known as elections where folk who are represented by an MP get to give a verdict on his/her performance. This in contrast to shipped in loud mouths from other constituencies shouting and balling and generally voicing their opinion of someone else's MP.

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 17:17 ----------

Well I can't see it happening. There will be a mass of publicity about how EU funding COULD get such a scheme off the ground. EU funding that wouldn't be available if we left the EU.

Then once the EU vote has gone the pie in the sky scheme will be back in the archives where it has been for 50 years, waiting to be dusted off again when more hot air is urgently needed in the region.

I'm well aware that we have elections, it's called democracy. You say there was shipped in loud mouths voicing their opinions of someone else's MP. Without condoning how they went about it isn't that also democracy, the right to have an opinion, also why should he then not give his best for his own constituents.

Anyhow we are going off thread here and I must say I agree with you that it will be quietly forgotten after millions have been spent in an effort to make it look as though they're doing something.

75 million to find out how to build a road from Manchester to Sheffield and the conclusion will be that the best way is to build another train track from Kings Cross to another London suburb.

The only announcement made today that's likely to actually happen is the extra £15billion for another London Crossrail project. Everything else is windowdressing that will be quietly canned after the referendum, same as always.

no road tunnel is going to be more than 50mph, especially a long one, and so they might as well just focus on the the Glossop/Mottram bypass and try and add a couple more duel carriageway sections over the Woodhead. On a clear run the drive times are perfectly acceptable given the distance. It's the bottleneck at Glossop/Mottram and then further into Manchester that is the real issue. They're never going to put a motorway through so I think a national speed limit with some duel carriageway sections is the best we can hope for.

Follow/convert (roughly) existing roads to connect it at either end and it will have less impact IMO

Let's hope so eh? ;)