Manchester to Sheffield road tunnel plans

Just announced today as part of the government Road investment strategy:

"a study into the feasibility of building a trans-Pennine tunnel to address the strategic gap between Sheffield and Manchester, that would transform capacity and reduce congestion while still preserving the tranquillity of the Peak District"

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/major-roads-investment-in-the-north-east-and-yorkshire

Wonder where this would run to/from?

I would guess somewhere at the end of the reservoirs before the A57 starts climbing ?

And would pop out near Glossop but presumably with a new link road to the M67 to miss out Mottram.

Back of a fag packet calculation = £ 2 billion. Will Never Happen.

Just announced today as part of the government Road investment strategy:

"a study into the feasibility of building a trans-Pennine tunnel to address the strategic gap between Sheffield and Manchester, that would transform capacity and reduce congestion while still preserving the tranquillity of the Peak District"

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/major-roads-investment-in-the-north-east-and-yorkshire

Wonder where this would run to/from?

I would guess somewhere at the end of the reservoirs before the A57 starts climbing ?

And would pop out near Glossop but presumably with a new link road to the M67 to miss out Mottram.

Back of a fag packet calculation = £ 2 billion. Will Never Happen.

Only proposing a feasibility study at this stage, so an actual tunnel, if it ever happens, will still be a long way off. The other schemes are much more straignt forward, as they are mostly upgrading of existing roads.

I think they would tunnel as an upgrade to the Woodhead, and not the Snake route, as the infrastructure at the Sheffield end is better, and there is already a route (via Tankersley and the Stocksbrige bypass) from the M1, although it would all need upgrading.

Any upgraded route between Sheffield and Manchester would need to link to the motorways at either end. This would be much harder for the A57, without undertaking major changes within Sheffield itself.

An utter pipe dream.

Was that a deliberate pun? Very funny if it was, if not then i claim it in my name :D

Was that a deliberate pun? Very funny if it was, if not then i claim it in my name :D

It wasnt, but I see what you mean now!

If this happens in my lifetime, I will be utterly amazed.

Quote from governments statement: “World class infrastructure is vital if we are to build a stronger economy, but it matters in other ways too. It invigorates communities and gives people more opportunities to get on in life. This is why I have ensured that this government has prioritised funding roads, and railways, at a high level for future generations."

All this talk is to keep a false phoney strong pound value in the international market while pretending they are on the top by throwing al these expensive plans around.

The stock market listens and acts upon plans ideas and intentions.

It does not matter if they are realistically obtainable, if you pretend you want to do it, it will give strength in international economy exchange markets.

Edited by dutch

But you can bet that if Sheffield and Manchester were situated south of Watford the 'scandal that is the difficult journey between 2 large cities' would be addressed with much urgency.

I was actually a bit disappointed with the plans of what is on the table to fund

This is a single carriageway Mottram bypass

1. Mottram Moor: a new link road from the M67 to a new junction at the A57(T) at Mottram Moor

2. A57(T) to A57 Link Road: a new single carriageway link, bypassing the existing A628/A57, and the A57 Woolley Lane/Hadfield Road junctions

3. A628 Woodhead Bridge: provision of two eastbound climbing lanes near Woodhead Bridge and Slater's Brook Bridge

And you have to wonder, A57(T) ...that 'T' doesn't stand for Toll by any chance do you think?

I was actually a bit disappointed with the plans of what is on the table to fund

This is a single carriageway Mottram bypass

1. Mottram Moor: a new link road from the M67 to a new junction at the A57(T) at Mottram Moor

2. A57(T) to A57 Link Road: a new single carriageway link, bypassing the existing A628/A57, and the A57 Woolley Lane/Hadfield Road junctions

3. A628 Woodhead Bridge: provision of two eastbound climbing lanes near Woodhead Bridge and Slater's Brook Bridge

And you have to wonder, A57(T) ...that 'T' doesn't stand for Toll by any chance do you think?

Trunk .

Obviously someone is suffering from 'tunnel vision'

"Boohoo!!! The government proposed something useful! Boohoo!! It will never happen!"

Thank the lord they are finally talking about this. It is high time the road connection between Sheffield and Manchester is addressed properly. The Mottram bypass should have been built 30 years ago. More climbing lanes on Woodhead Pass is utterly feasible and should be done as soon as possible.

I can't see the tunnel being that feasible, but it is definitely worth investigating.