Dungeons & Dragons - RPGs

Is this like that games workshop stuff?

Not really.

GW is table top war games, whereas this is role play. Both are based in different fantasy realms, and both use dice. Thats about all thats similar!

Is this like that games workshop stuff?

Na The Games Workshop stuff is wargamming - Lots of miniatures and table top terrain - I've got to be honest and admit I don't know a great deal about it as I never play warhammer or the like.

D&D (and other RPG's) rely on imagination (although miniatures are a useful aid) basically you take on the role of a character - simplistically Fighter/Thief/Magic User/Cleric and are given a situation by the referee - you may have to solve a puzzle, slaughter a beastie (often from mythology) or talk your way out of trouble. It's all the things you see in fantasy films or read in books.

Good laugh if the group dynamics are good.

Hi Moomin - I'm up for it too... Looks like the above thing never took off, but we can try and restart the interest! I can do Tuesday nights...

Anyone else in? Anyone want to run it?

Otherwise at a push, my other half could run it, we have cyberpunk, LOTR (not MERP sadly), All Flesh Must be Eaten (very cool and simple zombie game), plus a few others - I'll check it out.

I could do tuesdays, have only playe a very small amount of these things - more of an educated noob than a previous player type. But happy to play anything. Used to have a very fun looking one about teddy bear superheros, your attributes were based on the type of soft toy you brought along! (possibly not for serious gamers!) however it disappeared with an old housemate!

Not really.

GW is table top war games, whereas this is role play. Both are based in different fantasy realms, and both use dice. Thats about all thats similar!

Dark Moomin - have you had any luck sorting out a group or anything - this thread seems to be long running - I'm deffo keen - and have a campaign ready to role if anyone is interested.

Hi Jacko,

I'm afraid I can only really join a group, simply don't have time to organise anything.

If I get chance I'll try to compile a list of everyone who has shown an interest at the weekend and send some PMs

Dark Moomin

I've just read through the post fully - there's looks to be about 7 people on it who have professed to be keen at some stage.

I'm actually in a group of 5/6 at the moment (most in their 30's+) and one of them is female (cc TheMoog's comment that she wasn't allowed to join a group on this basis) and it works very well - you get quite a different and more balanced perspective. She is very keen on the roleplaying side of things as opposed to just hack and slash which balances one of the other members who's approach often is to run off and clobber the first thing he comes across - Jon if you read this ;)

Only problem is that it's difficult to get everyone together with various commitments and sometimes can go 3-4 weeks between sessions.

A second group doing weeknight gaming would be ideal which seems to fit with others professed choices.

We play at one of the couples house which creates a more friendly atmosphere I think - did you (or anyone) get as far as discussing venues in the previous attempt to get a group going?

I am happy to organise if Jacko is up for running it and anyone else wants to join. My other half is also up for it so we can probably make a group of about 5 if we get any more people interested? I'm pretty much limited to Tuesday nights and weekends sadly as I live in evil Leeds during the week (the commute got to me...).

I am happy to organise if Jacko is up for running it and anyone else wants to join. My other half is also up for it so we can probably make a group of about 5 if we get any more people interested? I'm pretty much limited to Tuesday nights and weekends sadly as I live in evil Leeds during the week (the commute got to me...).

Sure I'd be happy to run it - I'd say four players are a minimum - Curse the 10 post minimum for private posts!!!!

Anyway I'm off to the pub for a beer and a game of pool

I used to play every Tuesday night but it kind of died a death, I would be interested in joining or hosting a group, if anybody is interested email me rickparker.geo@yahoo.com

I've tried to summarise where we're at at the moment as I think there's enough interest to start up in the near future:

The recent communication (ie the last week) has involved:-

Myself

TheMoog and her other half (Tuesday Night or Weekend)

Harken77 - who's offering to host

Dark Moomin (Mon - Thurs Evening)

That's Five in total - 4 players + DM which is enough to run a group.

Also Leg Luvva appears to be still interested (Last Post 12/11/06)

Further back Kevanos, Beakerzoid and Big Gav have also expressed interest at some stage.

So it appears we've enough people and a venue. (Up to 8 players + DM)

I've emailed Harken77 (yesterday) - so he's got my email address - could the others above (or anyone else interested) send their contact details to him provided that's OK with him - Harken77 could you confirm this is OK.

Harken77 if you forward the addresses of people to me I'll try to keep the momentum going - which I think is the key to getting a group up and running.

Alternatively, if I get to 10 posts I'll PM people directly.

Hiya,

I've not played owt in ages (since the evil everquest and its scions came along and stole my life), but I'm up for sommat. probably dont have time to write a campaign or anything though. Played alsorts in the past but only have 2ndE d&d books to hand. I may still have some other games in the loft. Let me know if you need another, I may also have a friend or two who may be interested.