RIP ex-boxer Billy Calvert

Dad passed away peacefully at home after he lost his final bout against hideous Alzheimer's Disease last Wednesday Evening. He fought the good fight and made the bout last over 6 years which was a mixed blessing for us all, and particularly for him and for Mum, who kept her 53 year old marriage vow to Love until death did them part. Thank you mum for doing what the NHS and social services could not and God bless you Dad. You will be my Champ for ever. Nx

PS

We buried Dad in Abbey Lane cemetery last Tuesday Aug 23rd, almost 53 years to the day that he took future World Champion Howard Winstone to 15 rounds for first time in Winstone's career. There was standing room only in the Chapel. Although one of the sadest days of my life it was wonderful to see so many there, and to catch up with friends and relatives old and new. Mum, Claire and I would like to thank all who came to the funeral. Neill Calvert x

PS

I am doing the Memory Wlak in Clumber Park on October first. If anyone wishes to donate to Alzheimer's society then you can do so on my JustGiving page. Once at the JustGiving website search for Neill ( NB 2 Ls in Neill) Calvert. Lets help get rid of this terrible disease.

Edited by S8NWC
updating

A familiar face around Sheffield at one time.

RIP Billy, God bless.

Did he used to live on Standon Road? RIP BC

Was Billy a bricklayer by trade .If so I worked with him at one time .

R.I.P.

I worked for a chap called John Donnelly a cutlery manufacturer and he was a good mate of Billy's , when he got married I went with Johns son to deliver a Hoover vacuum cleaner to Billy's house in Darnall as a wedding present. I always rember his big smile. Sorry that we've lost a great little Sheffield legend.

Did he used to live on Standon Road? RIP BC

Yes he Did. I was born at home there. they subsequently moved to Nether Edge before owning the Kings Head on Attercliffe Rd and the Sportsman at Darnall

---------- Post added 16-08-2016 at 07:55 ----------

I worked for a chap called John Donnelly a cutlery manufacturer and he was a good mate of Billy's , when he got married I went with Johns son to deliver a Hoover vacuum cleaner to Billy's house in Darnall as a wedding present. I always rember his big smile. Sorry that we've lost a great little Sheffield legend.

Kind of you. WIll pass on to Mum ta

---------- Post added 16-08-2016 at 07:56 ----------

Was Billy a bricklayer by trade .If so I worked with him at one time .

R.I.P.

He was a joiner/builder before and after he was a prefessional boxer so sounds like may well be Dad.

---------- Post added 16-08-2016 at 07:58 ----------

A familiar face around Sheffield at one time.

RIP Billy, God bless.

Thanks Jim. Unfortunately he was a Blade though. Im with you in blue :@)

My dad use to spar with him when lived on poole road darnell and had a photo in his living room,god bless you.

R.I.P Billy , condolenses to the family. A gentleman passed this way.

My dad use to spar with him when lived on poole road darnell and had a photo in his living room,god bless you.

Thats great to know. Who was your Dad? Thank you

---------- Post added 16-08-2016 at 09:07 ----------

R.I.P Billy , condolenses to the family. A gentleman passed this way.

Thank you mate. up the owls :@)

R.I.P Billy a gentleman indeed.

R.I P. Billy // Sure my father in law Phill Mullvaney your old mate will be waiting for you.

Remember Billy training at Rex Gray's Gym in Handsworth As a boxer he was a real gutsy fighter.A great Darnall lad RIP