KETTLE BLACK Ecclesall road the bar to be seen in??

What does that even mean? :confused:

It's his/her book of tory poems...:P

I lament the loss of Menzels.

I thought it was good when it first opened and had a great wine list, an upmarket feel to it and good food, all set in a lovely ambiance with beautiful pastel drawings on the walls. Michael Menzel also used to have a fabulous wine shop not far away on Ecclesall Road, with a great selection of wine. I still remember spending £150 on a superb bottle of Chateau D'yquem in 1990 and being amazed at the quality of it.

It used to attract a very elegant crowd.

Then he left and it turned into a place for Chavs.

I'm encouraged to hear it's on it's way back then. Sheffield needs an upmarket wine bar!

It's his/her book of tory poems...:P

I'm not 'Tory', thanks.:rolleyes:

Tried to go in one evening at the beginning of the year but they wouldn't let me in because "We don't allow trainers". I was wearing brown walking shoes which I showed them but they wouldn't back down.

I was dressed fairly neatly but wasn't good enough.

So my advice is if you are male an over 40 don't count on getting in.

Oh dear. It looks like me and the Netheredge Bowling Club won't be getting in then:D

Edited by petemcewan

Whoooooooosh!

Sorry, I didn't know that there was a poet called ' Tory Dent '.

Its apparently struggling badly,typical pretentious place catering to a niche clientelle.

Sounds like just my kind of place! If it's upmarket, catering for people with good taste, who wear nice clothes, don't speak in a broad local accent, don't smoke and become troublesome after a few drinks, appreciate the finer things in life and are willing to pay more for them...then that's me down to a tee!

I must hurry and go visit it soon because it will surely go bust in this city with that type of profile.

Guest makapaka
Sounds like just my kind of place! If it's upmarket, catering for people with good taste, who wear nice clothes, don't speak in a broad local accent, don't smoke and become troublesome after a few drinks, appreciate the finer things in life and are willing to pay more for them...then that's me down to a tee!

I must hurry and go visit it soon because it will surely go bust in this city with that type of profile.

Probably will do if it seeks to exclude people on this basis - save for the "troublesome" which I think everyone would agree shouldnt be welcome anywhere.

Been in there, it's really nice