Why do people think they are entitled to home ownership?

No, the government set a minimum hourly rate that must be paid, thus raising the cost of grass cutting for everyone.

Does that also include the majority of gardeners who are self employed?

Does that also include the majority of gardeners who are self employed?

And the self employed have access to tax benefits the employed among us don't.

could that be because some employed earn more than the threshold :roll:

The fundemental difference being that it costs the taxpayer £0 to shore up the grasscutting market. Unlike the housing market which transfers £9 000 000 000 of taxpayer's money to private landlords, whilst simultaneously making rents artificially high for others.

Landlords provide a service for rent that is paid via housing benefit so it's not like they are getting it for nowt and non housing benefit tenants are preferable as housing benefit is capped and most landlord insurance policy's like mine only accepts people on disability benefit or they won't cover me.

We landlords are providing houses for people to live in while the govt is selling them off so direct your anger at the govt and not landlords...

People need to understand that owning your own home isn't some kind of entitlement that requires government intervention. It is a matter of living within your means and if that means renting, then so be it.

It really is an entitlement, albeit one that isn't conferred to many which is the overarching problem.

Having so much land held by so few and mostly in perpetuity is the essential problem. You are born onto a island that all land belongs to the queen, land reverts back to the crown, land cannot be owned only 'held' for a price.

Yet vast swathes are simply parts of wealthy estates, essentially unused yet unavailable to others.

Having to seek permission from others to have a place to call home is a perversion of nature. You would never try and apply the same principle to any other animal on the planet.

I'm not saying that you should be able to get away with being a cookoo or suchlike but if someone has 2million acres at birth and some has none then somethings clearly not right.

Obviously not everyone has the means or ability to actually build a house but they don't even have the opportunity to try

What tax benefits would that be then?

They get working tax credits too.

If you're running a ltd company then paying yourself through dividends is marginally more tax efficient than salary. That's about it.

---------- Post added 24-08-2016 at 07:32 ----------

The fundemental difference being that it costs the taxpayer £0 to shore up the grasscutting market. Unlike the housing market which transfers £9 000 000 000 of taxpayer's money to private landlords, whilst simultaneously making rents artificially high for others.

And what do you imagine would be the effect if HB were abolished?

Do you think that prices would simply fall and that everyone would live happily ever after.

Or do you think that a large portion of those currently on HB would end up rapidly homeless and still be the governments problem?

You might as well argue that all government benefits shore up the prices of everything, JSA for example is transferred directly (through the hands of benefits claimants) to supermarkets for food. The government is shoring up the price of food, giving money to supermarkets and unlike renting we all have to eat.

Edited by Cyclone

If you're running a ltd company then paying yourself through dividends is marginally more tax efficient than salary. That's about it

Would a gardener be a limited company? Genuine question..let's not mention cash payments eh? :)

Would a gardener be a limited company? Genuine question..let's not mention cash payments eh? :)

He could be I suppose, I was under the impression that income around the £30k mark was were it would start to be beneficial to consider being a limited company rather than a sole trader.

If you're running a ltd company then paying yourself through dividends is marginally more tax efficient than salary. That's about it.

Another point about becoming a limited company, (which many landlords are planning as a result of the extra 3% SDLT, they will now have to pay when purchasing any additional property), is that by the time they have spent all the additional extras on becoming a limited company, paying an accountant etc, paying various company taxes, that also is only marginally more tax effective. I have heard this on many occasions and radio 4's 'Moneybox'.

Edited by poppet2

For a landlord with just 1 or 2 houses that's probably true.

---------- Post added 25-08-2016 at 08:20 ----------

I pay by bank transfer if it makes you happier.

I've no idea if it's a ltd or a sole trader though and AFAIK he's not VAT registered.