Sickness while abroad

was reading a story about a Sheffield family who fell ill in Mexico obviously with food poisoning and reminded me of a holiday I took in the Dominican Republic in 2004.

I fell violently ill with the same symptoms I was in a right old state and had stomach cramps as well as sickness and the <removed>.

I was bed ridden for 3 days and never really came round.

Now in my hotel the restaurant area's were open they just had a straw roof and birds were flying in and taking the food and also the numerous drink machines around the grounds every time I wanted a cold drink I would be welcomed by a hord of wasps up the tap before the drink came out.

I totally blame the lack of hygene for my illness and this has put me off visiting tropical Countries and I have never been further than Egypt since.

Also on the same trip my luggage went to the USA and was 4 days late but that is another story.

Has anyone else had this horror abroad

Edited by nikki-red

We have never been to Mexico, but all over the Caribbean, South America,Central Africa, and India amongst other places, and I was somewhat surprised that none of those caused the slightest problem but not so Majorca and the last time in Lanzarote. The one in Majorca caused us to be laid up about four days. Lanzarote about three days.

Never been ill abroad thank goodness, this is probably due to being very careful about what i eat and having a good hygiene routine so i guess that being careful and a bit of luck has looked after me , but over the years i have seen some hotels with shocking hygiene standards the worst being a Sol hotel at Cao Coco Cuba.

A boy aged around 8 yrs old vomited his evening meal on the dining room floor , the family informed a waiter who put a chair over the pile of sick, the family then left the restaurant ,the restaurant staff made no attempt to clean up the sick so after around 5min i asked for someone to clean it up as not only was it unhygienic but the smell was beginning to circulate around the dining area, my request fell on deaf ears so after another 5min i asked again to be told that they were busy and would clean it at the end of service , UNBELIEVABLE at a one star hotel but this was a four star hotel !!! .

---------- Post added 12-08-2016 at 12:39 ----------

Never been ill abroad thank goodness, this is probably due to being very careful about what i eat and having a good hygiene routine so i guess that being careful and a bit of luck has looked after me , but over the years i have seen some hotels with shocking hygiene standards the worst being a Sol hotel at Cao Coco Cuba.

A boy aged around 8 yrs old vomited his evening meal on the dining room floor , the family informed a waiter who put a chair over the pile of sick, the family then left the restaurant ,the restaurant staff made no attempt to clean up the sick so after around 5min i asked for someone to clean it up as not only was it unhygienic but the smell was beginning to circulate around the dining area my request fell on deaf ears so after another 5min i asked again to be told that they were busy and would clean it at the end of service , UNBELIEVABLE at a one star hotel but this was a four star hotel !!! .

Edited by Dun working
insert comma

We have never been to Mexico, but all over the Caribbean, South America,Central Africa, and India amongst other places, and I was somewhat surprised that none of those caused the slightest problem but not so Majorca and the last time in Lanzarote. The one in Majorca caused us to be laid up about four days. Lanzarote about three days.

I've never suffered any problems in Jamaica, the UAE, India, Pakistan, China and Thailand, including street food, and, in the case of Thailand, raw prawns and shellfish. However, I regularly got (very minor) problems with Italian food. Nothing serious, just a little irritable bowel, but fairly regularly. I put it down to something in the food as opposed to hygiene.

It happens, it can happen here as well (had my worst food poisoning ever after eating in an Indian place in Manchester).

Spent three weeks in China and never had an issue there, despite eating streetfood on a regular basis, which did surprise me a bit.

It usually seems to be the hotel food that makes people ill. the dodgy half board buffet meal or all inclusive places. I've been to quite a few places including Mexico and never had an issue. I usually eat where the locals do.

Has anyone else had this horror abroad

Bulgaria while skiing. I was terribly sun burnt (everyone was caught out by the sun that day) so my face swelled up and made me look like Kim Jong un, then I got flu like symptoms and when I felt a little better, went out for food and got food poisoning.

Worst. Holiday. Ever! Plus Bulgaria is a seedy dump.