Taxi Fare Rises Aug 2016

Excellent reasoning if price was the only factor and we were talking about black cabs v Uber only? you can of course confirm where those nice drivers come from and who licenses them?

Lets get one thing straight here, are you saying that all the drivers that are licensed in Rossendale and drive for Uber in Sheffield are that bad, you should not use them?

uber is here to stay no matter what protests the driers make.

Lets get one thing straight here, are you saying that all the drivers that are licensed in Rossendale and drive for Uber in Sheffield are that bad, you should not use them?
unless the local council can check their cars for licensing rules and safety infringements and as long as they are allowed to operate outside of the law, yes that is exactly what I am saying. We hear about all sorts of things going wrong in disputes involving taxi drivers and their passengers, with accountability one could expect to put things right but where there is little or no accountability then chances of things going wrong are exponentially greater. Working for Uber is the easiest thing to do and their hard sell is that you can make easy money with little regulation, so who suffers when there is little regulation and accountability?

I don't have any issues with Uber working under the same rules as other taxi companies are expected to work, it's the sharp practice of using dodgy means to circumvent regulations that I and other locally licensed drivers object to.

Edited by SheffTF

unless the local council can check their cars for licensing rules and safety infringements and as long as they are allowed to operate outside of the law, yes that is exactly what I am saying. We hear about all sorts of things going wrong in disputes involving taxi drivers and their passengers, with accountability one could expect to put things right but where there is little or no accountability then chances of things going wrong are exponentially greater. Working for Uber is the easiest thing to do and their hard sell is that you can make easy money with little regulation, so who suffers when there is little regulation and accountability?

I don't have any issues with Uber working under the same rules as other taxi companies are expected to work, it's the sharp practice of using dodgy means to circumvent regulations that I and other locally licensed drivers object to.

My Bold

Can you explain how they are operating outside of the law, you are saying they are illegal?

My Bold

Can you explain how they are operating outside of the law, you are saying they are illegal?

The enforcement of regulations for taxis operating in every area is the responsibility of the licensing Council. Since the intended use of a licensed vehicle is to serve the area they are licensed in, it is normal part of life for the authorised officers except when the drivers go and work 60 miles away. Rossendale don't have the resources to send officers over to Sheffield and because they are licensed by another council, Sheffield cannot touch them. Therefore they work under the radar often picking up illegally outside of nightclubs and bars without the Sheffield Council officers being able to intervene or check them for authenticity. Therefore effectively working and competing against the local cars and cabs who are regulated by the local council.

The enforcement of regulations for taxis operating in every area is the responsibility of the licensing Council. Since the intended use of a licensed vehicle is to serve the area they are licensed in, it is normal part of life for the authorised officers except when the drivers go and work 60 miles away. Rossendale don't have the resources to send officers over to Sheffield and because they are licensed by another council, Sheffield cannot touch them. Therefore they work under the radar often picking up illegally outside of nightclubs and bars without the Sheffield Council officers being able to intervene or check them for authenticity. Therefore effectively working and competing against the local cars and cabs who are regulated by the local council.

Excellent point.

My Bold

They drivers who are licensed in Rossendale and work in Sheffield what law are they breaking doing that.

And i may add, its not only Uber who these drivers work for.

They drivers who are licensed in Rossendale and work in Sheffield what law are they breaking doing that.

And i may add, its not only Uber who these drivers work for.

Exactly, without enforcement we don't know what law they are breaking, if they are picking up legitimately or illegally, no one can check that unless there is an incident and authorities cannot follow the booking trail. The question is then, why if they intend to work in Sheffield would they go and get a licence to work in Rossendale unless they have something to hide?

I am personally aware of three drivers who had their taxi driver licenses suspended by Sheffield Council after they were deemed Unfit to hold a license but are working in Sheffield under SCC noses driving with Rossendale licenses.

Exactly, without enforcement we don't know what law they are breaking, if they are picking up legitimately or illegally, no one can check that unless there is an incident and authorities cannot follow the booking trail. The question is then, why if they intend to work in Sheffield would they go and get a licence to work in Rossendale unless they have something to hide?

I am personally aware of three drivers who had their taxi driver licenses suspended by Sheffield Council after they were deemed Unfit to hold a license but are working in Sheffield under SCC noses driving with Rossendale licenses.

My Bold

If you care to name them by pm or on here i will look into that.

And who they drive for.

[/b]

My Bold

If you care to name them by pm or on here i will look into that.

And who they drive for.

I am sorry I don't consider this the proper forum for that sort of naming and shaming, we are already in process of seeking justice through our trade association and the local council.

O.K i will respect that.

The Licensing authorities have never really quelled illegal plying for hire it is as much a problem at the weekend as it ever was.Only when there is a major incident do they pop up with empty words to reassure you the public.

They actually do not care about the safety of the general public.