Taxi Fare Rises Aug 2016

Why would sheffield council want to abolish the knowledge test? is this likely to happen though

Sheffield Council don't want to abolish the knowledge test. UBER asked them to consider it during a recent consultation over policy changes. Make your own mind up why they would ask that.

If the mechanics being employed by Taxi operators are on minimum wage I wonder why.

I dont know of any qualified mechanic on anywhere near minimum wage and if there are any I would wonder why.

Now theres one to work out, dont think its difficult.

This jumped out at me.

What mechanics are on minimum wage??

They are not on minimum wage but when the minimum wage increases other workers not on minimum wage also get a slight increase.

Taxi prices can't stay the same forever! Taxi drivers have to make a living also.. I personally find Sheffiled Taxi fayres to be very reasonable..

There are a few simple solutions for those who are complaining about the increase...

1, get the bus

2, walk

3, cycle

4, use your own car

5, hop

x

I didnt think they did the knowledge in Sheffield.

I got in a taxi at the station the other day and he didnt know where East Bank Road was.

I find it hard to believe they do this either. Its very rare a black cab driver knows how to get to the road I ask for.

What was the response/outcome to UBER'S suggestion and where can I find this information, any links be much appreciated.

Can someone explain to me why taxi's can use bus lanes?

No one?

its one of those strange enigma's isn't it?

Edited by Guest

Can someone explain to me why taxi's can use bus lanes?

No one?

its one of those strange enigma's isn't it?

Hackney Carriages are allowed to use bus lanes and gates (certain ones where signposted) whilst working. This is to aid the passenger to not have to pay waiting time for vehicles stood in traffic. It is for the benefit of the customer and of course the driver to have access to short routes around the city with the aid of bus gates and to be quicker for the customer in rush hour traffic. At the introduction of the Private Hire Licence in 1976, it was deemed by some local councils (not all) other than London boroughs to afford the same privilege to working private hire vehicles and their customers.

Hackney Carriages are allowed to use bus lanes and gates (certain ones where signposted) whilst working. This is to aid the passenger to not have to pay waiting time for vehicles stood in traffic. It is for the benefit of the customer and of course the driver to have access to short routes around the city with the aid of bus gates and to be quicker for the customer in rush hour traffic. At the introduction of the Private Hire Licence in 1976, it was deemed by some local councils (not all) other than London boroughs to afford the same privilege to working private hire vehicles and their customers.

I thought you paid for distance travelled, not the amount of time the journey took?

I thought you paid for distance travelled, not the amount of time the journey took?

In a black cab, you are charged 30p/82 seconds whilst the cab is going 8mph or less. (in Sheffield).

City don't charge for time in traffic.

Uber do.

.All the more reason to use Apps like Uber

What Uber don't advertise is depending on what time you get it and what the demand is like they add a surcharge and what should have been about £20 cost me £53, when I queried it they said if the demand is high they want to encourage drivers to work so added a 2.5 x £15 surcharge and ensure I got home safely.

I agree with an earlier post I'll find alternative transport in future, most buses run late so just catch the last bus instead

Guest busdriver1
They are not on minimum wage but when the minimum wage increases other workers not on minimum wage also get a slight increase.

I say again, I know of no mechanic worth his salt on anywhere near minimum wage. The point you make about others getting raises due to minimum wage earners nearing their rate does not apply here, or should not if they are qualified and being paid the rate for the job.

What Uber don't advertise is depending on what time you get it and what the demand is like they add a surcharge and what should have been about £20 cost me £53, when I queried it they said if the demand is high they want to encourage drivers to work so added a 2.5 x £15 surcharge and ensure I got home safely.

I agree with an earlier post I'll find alternative transport in future, most buses run late so just catch the last bus instead

Not really true that though is it, they do specifically advertise the fact when demand is high that the price is going to be 1.5x or 2x etc. It's shown before you request an Uber so the choice is yours as to whether you agree to those terms or not, you're not obligated in any way to - lots of people must be happy to pay the increased fare otherwise the system wouldn't work!

The concerns people have about the quality of the vehicles/drivers etc. is understandable but it has to be said that the quality of the driving from some of the big taxi companies in Sheffield is very very poor so the checks that are currently in place for normal taxi drivers aren't perfect!