Taxi Fare Rises Aug 2016

Because this council charge a £515 fee for that privilege which I was surprised to hear!

No! The Council cant and don't charge anything! The land is owned by the Railway operator and they levy the fee to give the taxis permission to trade on private land.

When was the last black cab price rise?

I understand now, thanks for that.

I say again, I know of no mechanic worth his salt on anywhere near minimum wage. The point you make about others getting raises due to minimum wage earners nearing their rate does not apply here, or should not if they are qualified and being paid the rate for the job.

Traditionally, businesses and organisations that paid employees over the minimum wage for their occupation were known as 'preferred employers' due to the theory that the employees would be less likely to be disenfranchised by the company to look for another occupation. The employees wages were rewarded on the merit of the quality, complexity and expertise needed for their work. It's the theory behind the proposition of if you are a university graduate, you can command a higher salary due to your expanded knowledge and 'professionalism' - and because of that, this is why the government had no qualms about escalating tuition fees as their theory is that they can be paid back over time from the higher earning power of the graduates.

In reality what happens is that if you put the minimum wage up without putting up other wages that were already above the minimum wage, then that becomes an erosion of the 'buying power' of those wages i.e you are now not being recompensed as much of a better percentage for the hours of work that you put in, in comparison to a 'base line' i.e the minimum wage. Separately, as wages increase this then feeds into the economy as a cost increase for employers/businesses who in turn need to fund that from somewhere. This is basically part of the principle of 'inflation'. Also, as tax and national insurance is calculated as a percentage of income, the government stands to gain from this too. Businesses want to keep their expenses lower to maximize their profits but governments require annual inflation of the economy in order for them to be able to service an expanding population. It's a balancing act - too little inflation and the government are failing, will find it difficult to pay down debt and pay for future needs of society, too much and the general populous will find living conditions too harsh to pay for basic necessities as prices rise and the whole economic system crashes.

There are far to many taxis in sheff and could do with thinning out a bit anyway !

Dont pay and find a different mode of trasport !

In a black cab, you are charged 30p/82 seconds whilst the cab is going 8mph or less. (in Sheffield).

City don't charge for time in traffic.

Uber do.

Its about time that was abolished. How on earth can a passenger of a taxi be in control of how long the journey takes??

I say again, I know of no mechanic worth his salt on anywhere near minimum wage. The point you make about others getting raises due to minimum wage earners nearing their rate does not apply here, or should not if they are qualified and being paid the rate for the job.

I didn't mean to imply that mechanics are on minimum wage, point I'm making is that when minimum wage goes up it has an upwards effect on other stuff Ie mechanic charges due to garage owner having to pay more for goods and services.

Fair trade starts at home, thank you for supporting Sheffield black cabs. Remember when there is no competition left, Uber wont be charging you bus fares but more like train fares Also this is the first small increase since 2010.

There are far to many taxis in sheff and could do with thinning out a bit anyway !

Dont pay and find a different mode of trasport !

I could say the same about plasterers, too many so called plasterers about and nowadays you get ex bouncers going about doing plastering.

We rarely get cabs but would always use a proper cab service, not Uber. If I pay for a service, I want a professional who has been checked. I also want others to make a fair living.

We rarely get cabs but would always use a proper cab service, not Uber. If I pay for a service, I want a professional who has been checked. I also want others to make a fair living.

What leads you to conclude City's drivers or black cab drivers have undergone any more rigorous screening than Uber drivers? If anything, the rating system in Uber actually offers you more security than jumping in with a completely unknown taxi driver. You need only hop to the other end of the Parkway for a clear sign that black cab drivers aren't particularly well screened.

https://newsroom.uber.com/uk/prioritising-safety-at-uber-london/

A small fare increase after 5/6 years is very welcome and needed .

As for uber drivers being cheaper more fool them I say.if they want to race to be the bottom let them do so,i won't be joining them.Uber bosses will just keep increasing driver numbers to get more revenue , typical of private hire bosses.Their drivers will be happy for a short while until the job ratio goes down.The app system is very good it's just the tax avoiding company that I don't like. I

All Sheffield drivers go through a rigorous testing and vetting process to establish their fitness in terms of character knowledge and past record to drive taxis in Sheffield. What sets them apart from drivers Uber use is Uber's willingness to use out of town licensed drivers to work in Sheffield. Taxis licensed in Rossendale, 60 miles away with minimal of checks and zero local knowledge are working for Uber just because Uber by using a loop-hole opened up by deregulation act last year. Hope that helps