Rabbit/Slug advice

I have a male and female rabbits. And they have been very happy until quite recently. They have a huge back garden to run around in, fed a variety of fresh veg, plenty of toys, fresh hay 2-3 times a week, fresh bedding changed often and cleaned out without fail every Friday and Tuesday (obviously weather depending). over the past year I had a problem with slugs getting there food and just simply invading their home. so I moved them and the issue stopped, the slugs came back. I read that salt helps keep slugs at bay so I moved the rabbits again and put down salt it stopped...... theres a pattern emerging here ive moved them at least 7 times in 8 months. im running out of options. I am not sure if I should Slug pellets or any other type of repellent in case it poisons the rabbits. I have 2 choices really risk the slug repellent/pellets or consider finding them a home away from the slugs which I don't want to do but im running out of options here

I have a slug problem too, although I don't keep rabbits.

I treated all round the edges of the garden where the slugs live, under stones and plants was a hive of activity.

My neighbour had loads of empty plant pots behind his garage and in wet or cold weather it was a crawling with them, especially at night, make sure you're not giving the slugs somewhere to live like that

Try putting salt or pellets around the perimeter of the hutch/run out of reach of the rabbits, and where you think the slugs are coming from.

Salt does turn them into a gooey mess that you have to remove if you get lots of them.

I believe you can get pet friendly pellets too, even better encourage hedgehogs or birds into your garden

Edited by Orangepip

Hi, I have 2 rabbits in a double hutch. I had the same problem, I've lifted the hutch off the ground and on the wood around the mesh and on the door frames I use copper tape, which I have round to work! no slugs or any creepy crawlies apart from the odd spider. I would definitely recommend it!

http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-en_gb/670664/reviews.htm

Hope this helps :)

Use slug pubs and upturned orange skin halves, check daily and remove dead slugs. Put the run on fine gravel / stones. It doesn't stop them but it does reduce them. Combined with the copper tape it should cut them down.